Sign in to follow this  
Geofa

Bridges...I tried to do a search but it timed out...

I was wondering your impressions on the missing bridges and the multiple bridges, such as in the central-south Florida area. Is this a problem across all systems? Are there any fixes out there?Forgive me if this has been worn out on this board!!John

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

It seems to be the most asked question as of late.In a nutshell:MS in this version decided to turn the bridges in FS2002 and prior versions to the Autogen system to improve GLOBAL scenery quality. The old hand-created & placed bridges which have accumulated since fs98 (and possibly before) had to go due to (and this next part is speculation on my part but I think probably true) 1) you'd have conflicts between the old & new bridges, 2) incompatibility with the new sim 3) improved frame rates which are necessary with the number of improvements in fs2004.e.g. in the past bridges were hand drawn gradually, and in several incarnations of the sim, a good number of "famous" bridges were created. However, this system limited the number of bridges worldwide to the ones that could and had been "hand drawn". What about all the other millions that exist? If any old timers like me remember the mid 80's-airports were also hand drawn and each placed individually. Therefore-to get an add on to the few included airports of fs at the time-one paid the same amount of $ as the sim to get an individual US state-like Michigan. One got a crude runway that didn't always match up-but we were thrilled at the time. Coverage was limited-but the time constraint of having to "hand draw" each runway was limiting.Fs2000 improved on this by having accurate, world wide airports using Jepp data. In a few places where the data was in error you might get a misplaced runway, or wrong ils freq. etc-but it gave simmers world wide (Global) access to mostly very accurate world wide airports. No more hand drawn-and greater accuracy for a wider area for the most part.In the same way-the bridges in fs2004 are different.Pre FS 2004 bridges were a mix of scenery types: custom objects (such as those made in Gmax), and specialty scenery code (mostly pre FS 2000 stuff).In fs2004 those old style bridges are no more. MS has replaced a fair number of these old style bridges, but not all-and obviously missed some notables. It is time consuming to again "create" each bridge-I think they did the best they could in the given time.They added a new autogenlike type: autobridge. Autobridge places one of a random set of bridge types at all intersections of vector road data and water polygons. If there is no road crossing water there will be no bridge.These are generic bridges and are not meant to represent the bridge that's there in real life.Now however-you will find that bridges populate the entire world-not just the major ones mostly confined to big city areas.A new way of doing business-and like with anything new there will be some problems. Ultimately though-this is the future, as now you will find bridges almost where ever they occur-not just where someone had time to "hand draw" one (usually a major metro area). I would expect this also improves frame rates (pre 2000 code bridges may not even be compatable but I don't know that for a fact) . You will find a greater representation of worldwide bridges wherever they occur (not just major urban areas where someone hand drew one). However, this seems to be at the expense of some of the more famous ones that were accumulated over time , hand drawn, and handed down from one sim version to another.These major missing bridges will be gradually replaced-both by ms and end users. In the meantime-globally the world is populated by more bridges than ever before.Obviously-if your favorite bridge that before existed in past versions is missing-you will be disapointed-that is until users start uploading replacements.On the other hand-when you fly in almost in given area of the world where bridges exist-they will for the most part be showing up.http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/Geofdog2.jpg

"Autobridge places one of a random set of bridge types at all intersections of vector road data and water polygons. If there is no road crossing water there will be no bridge."Geof,Based on what you say, above, why would there still be these missing bridges? Wouldn't they meet the stated criteria i.e. intersections of vector road data and water polygons (for example, the missing bridges in St. Louis that cross the Mississippi?Bob Klepner

I don't know the answer to that-but I would speculate that possibly because of the "fame" of these bridges-the generic autogen bridge were removed so that users could replace with a customized gmax bridge that would match the bridge (vs. generic).I read on another forum that it takes about a week for an individual user to create one bridge....thus perhaps one can understand why all the old code bridges could not be completely replaced for this version. http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/Geofdog2.jpg

Hi all.It appears the new bridges are not autogen. They are objects generated by placed, 2-point VTP lines, designated as one of the bridge types listed in the "terrain.cfg"They are exactly the same type of lines that are used to create VTP streams, roads, raillines and utility paths. Their layer is #7, same as the airport background polys in FS2004, and that is the VTP layer to exclude to remove them.Dick