Sign in to follow this  
Guest nutmeat

RAM amount vs. Smooth Gameplay

Guest adamw

I wonder if investing in increase the amount of installed RAMunder Windows XP will bring the expected improvement in frame rate.In my case, I've installed 512 MB RDRAM PC1066, upgrading to 1 GB isnot a cheap movement, therefore anyone here who can make me believe in this decision, kindly share with me your experience.Thanks.Adam

Adam, I have 384megs & I am upgrading to at least 512 maybe 768. I will see this afternoon if it makes a difference. BTW, my system is a Dell XPS_T500 upgraded to a Celeron 1.4mghz with a TI4200 128meg video card. Should be enough to run FS2004 OK.Pat Callaghan

Pat Callaghan
AMD FX-8350 4.0ghz. Asus M5A97 MB
16gig Crucial DDR3 ram, Radeon HD-7970 Video
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit

Guest nutmeat

In my short examinations, FS9 appears to make better use of memory and doesn't require as much as fs2002. I have 512 mBytes of PC2700 ram and usually when I check it while FS9 is running under Windows XP Pro, there is still about 100 mBytes of physical memory available for use. With fs2002, the amount was usually no more than 20 mBytes.Based upon this, I would say that 512 is adequate and I don't know if any more would benefit the sim; any big memory owners care to comment??Larry Shinn