Sign in to follow this  
Guest Staggerwing

For anyone using a UPS on their system

Guest Staggerwing

Time to replace my batteries..Has anyone here used a much larger battery outside the case rather than buying the 12ah batteries that fit inside ? And cost as much as a MUCH higher amp sealed battery...I'm really thinking about going with a small sealed auto battery behind the desk and forget about the expense and short run time of the regular batteries.Staggerwing

My two cents, and this is purely theoretical, as I don't run a UPS here at home... If you have the space and ability to remotely locate the battery, then there shouldn't be a problem. Be advised however, that even "sealed" batteries can leak, and over heat and give off noxious (read deadly) fumes. If you go this route, make sure you have adequate ventilation and a drip pan of some kind to sit it on. And, always have a foam (electrical fire) type extinguisher nearby.

Guest Staggerwing

Thanks Tom, I'm not too worried about the built in charger working with the much larger capacity battery, but even if I have to recharge the large one separate (out of the house) that should only be a couple of times per year and that would just be for maintenance as I don't think you could ever drain a 600 ah battery with your computer unless you run it longer than you really need to on it. Maintenance chargers (trickle)from auto supply put out about the same as the UPS charger so should work out just fine.I hear what you are saying and it is good general advise.It would be a "plush" life for a battery to be kept indoors and without the vibrations and extremes in temperature of auto use.Would be important to cover the termainals with insulation so that nothing could short it out though.My choice will be to place it in a marine type battery holder. Perhaps in the basement with wires running up to the computer area.Also, I will most likely buy a deep cycle sealed gel cell for this job.As far as overheating, the amp draw would never get close to making it overheat. Much easier on it than on the small 10 - 12ah batteries that come with UPS units. AND, I've never had the backup needed more that a few times per year here. Then it's only for a matter of 3-10 minutes.Still gets my vote.. :-) Will still watch a bit for any BAD experiences that might pop up here.Even without the need for "backup" power, the clean power UPS sends to you system has it's own benefits in smoother operation.StaggerwingPS. I have 6 ABC fire extinguishers in the house :-lol Along with the same number of smoke alarms. And carbon monoxide detector.Not paranoid, just cautious :-)