Sign in to follow this  
turner112

"Keeping" downloaded tiles?

I know this is a basic question but haven't found an answer...Ok - so I've downloaded lots of tiles, which obviously are "real" since they take up drive space.Question is this: Can these be accessed by FSX without TileProxy running? I didn't see them when I flew without TP running but in the same area... maybe I missed something about choosing them in the scenery setup or something.. not sure.thanks,Andrew

Andrew,Neither FS9 nor FSX can use cached jpg imagery directly... maybe next generation or the one after. Somebody, somewhere may eventually make it possible.The sims only use bitmaped imagery (so far as I have seen) either incorporated into a .bgl (FSX) or referenced by a .bgl (FS9). The bitmaps MUST have some bgl 'control' file for the sim to reference so it knows to use them on top of the default tiles - and where to individually display them.You realize that cached jpg images remain on your computer unless YOU remove them, and the TileProxy-made bitmap images also remain unless you 'flush' the scenery folder or cause them to be 'rebuilt' by defining things differently in the proxyuser.ini; changing the level mapping, for instance, will flush and rebuild everything 'within reach' of the current scenery area.Many freeware and payware areas are available from the libraries of this and other sites. I'm realizing that it is far more efficient to use these where available instead of TileProxy but for areas that are not yet covered, TileProxy is a viable option. It is not the most efficient scenery for FSX but it IS flexible.Loyd

Andrew,it would indeed but don't we almost do that already?A. we can fly a flight plan with TP running, downloading tiles and MAKING scenery.Next time you only have to load the results to FSX (which is the most timeconsuming part for me) but nothing to download or make.B. you can start a flightplan first in FSX, THEN start TP; it will still DO the same thing as before but FSX will not have to load the photo scenery so there's less workload. Next flight you are at the same position as you were in 'plan A'. I frequently fly new areas this way so the cpu load is much less.C. scenery tiles can be saved but the basic TileProxy regions are VERY LARGE (complete LOD5 zones) and if you don't have texture for the entire region you get all sort of corrupted fill-in imagery that is very distracting. In each LOD5 region there are 65,536 tiles needed and the 1.2m tiles are over a meg each.... you do the math!D. sort of along the same thought process... if you RENAME a texture folder after flying a certain area with it, it will remain 'intact'.Create a new empty Texture folder for flying a new area until you are are ready to move on again. This way the texture folders with bitmaps can be kept without getting MASSIVELY large. You do have to know which FSX/TP regions you are flying in and how many regions are affected by your flight... this can be complicated to keep track of in actuality. I was always forgetting what I had saved and where... finally gave up the plan...E. Easiest of all... Flush scenery regularly (not the caches!) and just rebuild as you fly. You could be doing this anyway if you change TP settings...as I often do.and I use downloadable 1.2m/4.8m freeware everywhere I can (and that is enough surface area to keep me occupied for months!)Loyd