Sign in to follow this  
nudata

FS2004 = Cessna 185 Takeoff ??

Cessna 185. Elevation 1188ft KLBE Trim set to TO Mixture full richNo windApply full throttle. At 50k begin to pull back on yoke. At about 60k liftoff. If I leave the yoke in that position the aircraft literally shoots into the air and eventually stalls back to the runway. To effect a takeoff once the 185 lifts off I have to alow the yoke to go forward a bit. The yoke is not anywharere near a full back position. Once in flight I can trim for level flight ok.The very abrupt, and dramatic, takeoff angle (unless the yoke is relaxed) seems abnormal but I am not a pilot ????????Dick KLBE

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Yeah, that's definitely "abnormal" for the 185 :-) if you have only a slight amount of backpressure on the yoke. However, if your aircraft is empty, the 185 will climb very steeply for sure. Try it with some loading in it and see how it goes. I haven't installed it yet, but would like to. May get around to it this weekend.Glenn

50kts sounds a bit slow for rotation, but I haven't flown a 185 so I may be wrong. When flying the PA28, we normally ease the yoke back at 65kts and climb at 80. After takeoff the yoke normally does need to be moved forward a bit to ensure you accelerate to your climb speed.All sounds perfectly normal to me, takeoff and landing are periods when the pilot needs to be extra vigilant and very aware of what is happening. Takeoff is not, full power, stick back, away we go. It is a balancing act to get the aircraft to continue climbing and accelerating ensuring it stays pointed in the right direction.As to the abrupt and dramatic takeoff angle, 2 points :1) The 185 may well be able to climb like that, particularly at low weight. It may even be necessary for avoiding nearby obstructions.2) You're the pilot, you're flying it, the only person to blame for abrupt and dramatic takeoff's is ... well ... you :-). If you're unhappy with the angle, push the yoke forward and retrim.Hope this helps,Ian

Nope, 50 is a good number. Best Obstacle Speed is 50 kts in the 185 (and I've had to use that number with that machine on floats :-) ). Normal climb is 68 kts (about 80 mph) unless it is an extended climb where you might want to go to 80 kts for a cruise-climb.Glenn

Thanks - I was perhaps a bit optimistic trying takeoffs at 50k. It works but with perhaps excessive angle of attack. 60k to 65k is probably better and the suggestion to add weight should also help.Dick KLBE