Sign in to follow this  
Gridley

GPS and Framerates

Guest daveg4otu

After using 2004 for a week - the only thing I can say I don't like is the fancy new GPS.By no means as clearly readable as the one in FS2k2- surely it can't have been beyond the capabilities of MS etc to make it a little less bulky and with clearer(less "Blocky")text.In addition I notice that using it definately has a bad effect on framerates .In a test I found that while in straight level flight at altitude,it caused a drop from 29FPS(locked ) to about 24fps.Not to say I dislike everything about it,the Flight Plan screen gives more info than before and I like the terrain screen also.It's just - did it all have to be so big and bulky?Dave

Guest CargoMun

I dont think a drop of 5 FPS from 29 to 24 is really anything to feel bad about and really call "a bad effect".If you run a panel that gives you 10FPS without GPS open then thats a whole different story :D

On slower systems, the performance hit is also 4-5 fps--enough to take away some of the smoothness off of the sim. I've been using a workaround of sorts, as the fps hit only happens when the gps is in "view"...On panels that display the gps, I've edited it out and replaced it with a static bmp... I pull up the gps using either a key combo or an icon--do what I have to do with it, then remove it from view. It took a little bit of work, and is a tad less realistic, but the flip side is it's easily readable and I can benefit by this otherwise nice feature.

Guest Gordius

Personally while I like the new GPS I would like to have seen something more like the old one as well (ie basic, no frills) which could be then used as an alternative.

Guest wathomas777

The GPS is resizable like the old one, so you can make it less bulky, and I believe that helps a litle with frames as well. It's that great little optomized XML gauge that they use for the "moving map". I think you will find that if you also run it in waypoint mode, you will still get a majority of your information but will take less of a hit on frames.(My Athlon 2400 Compaq is waiting for me to pick it up today. Woohoo!)

Guest ScottPilot

I like the new GPS, but unfortunately I have one of those slower systems that just can't handle it. My frame rates drop to around 6 and I get stutters, even when the GPS is small. The only time that this doesn't happen is when I am simulating IMC conditions or when I am up in the flight levels (less scenery to draw).I use the Reality XP radios and GPS in FS2002, so once they update theirs for FS2004, I will use that one. I also use FS Flightmax in FS2002, with digital sectional charts, but I havn't tried it in FS2004 yet.Of course, if I get a faster computer someday, then maybe I will be able to get more use out of the new FS2004 GPS.Happy Simming!Scott :-)ATP/CFII - KCOS, in the real aviation world.PIII 1GHZ with 512MB SDRAM, 2X AGP, running Windows XP Pro SP1Nvidia Geforce 4 MX440 64MB Card with dual 17" monitors attachedNvidia Driver Version: 44.03Hercules 7.1 Surround Sound CardCH Products Yoke & RuddersAverage FPS in COF: 14 with NO stutters (Not using GPS)

I would be curious as to how the frame rates will compare between the default GPS and the Realtiy XP unit. Doesn't the Reality Unit have more overhead, using the Garmnim Trainer?Tony

Guest JeanLuc_

Hi Tony,it used to have more overhead because of the Trainer, but not only. There were other reasons that are history now! In short, the latest version is simply one of the best if not the best 530 simulation available, and here is in short some the highlights so as to why:The latest release v1.2 of the Reality XP 530XP GPS manages to control the Garmin Trainer program in such a way it only takes a couple % CPU (as any other Windows application running in the background). This with the new and improved graphic engine for the gauge, there is almost no hit on most systems running the 530XP (it runs as any other default gauge, and faster than any other GNS530 available to date for Flight Simulator!).Here is a quick list of the new v1.2 features released a couple weeks ago. This is going to be a very hot product in FS2004 too:*New graphic display engine for better performances.*Improved Screen Refresh Time to user inputs.*New display mode setting: as fast as "Coarse" and as good as "Fine".*Improved support for any default FS2002 EHSI/VOR (CDI deviation...).*New: support for any default FS2002 GPS based gauge (EFIS Display...)*Improved Garmin Trainer Program handling for low CPU usage.*Cross GPS function* (Apollo and Garmin on the same panel): the Garmin Active Route can now be exported to the Apollo, including active approaches.As a complementary note, the Reality XP Garmin implementation is 100% accurate to the real unit, is completly integrated with any default VOR/EHSI/EFIS-GPS display and gauge (you can fully replace the stock GPS with the Reality XP with no difference to the other gauges), automatically flies approaches, DME arcs, flight plans, Direct TO, shows the correct CDI deviation based on flight phase (enroute / term ...), can export its flight plan (including approaches) to a file or dynamically to the Jet Line Avionics EFIS, and is strongly backed and supported by both the company ( www.reality-xp.com ) and a growing community of users. Here is a link to the community built retrofits to popular aircrafts with Reality XP avionics (25 files available!):http://www.reality-xp.com/community/files.htmHope this helps!

I see no drop in framerate, but I find that the GPS itself updates very slowly, especially if I turn on terrain mapping. Is there any way to speed that up?

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)