Sign in to follow this  

Guest SF22

Hi!I'm going to build an all new I7 computer for FSX and general gaming and I'm wondering which GPU would be best for FSX and to other games. I've done some searching and found out that NVIDIA seems to be work better for FSX while ATI is better for other games. I can't afford a NVIDIA 470 or 480, so please don't suggest them. I don't play any first person shooter games, mainly strategy games besides FSX that aren't too resource hungry.I've thought about getting one of the following GPUs:1. MSI ATI 5850 OC (Seems to have the best OC available for the 5850 and it's the most expensive card at 307

Hi MagnusAMD's latest drivers for ATI cards have sorted out the AA and anisotropic filter related issues. Add ******* tweaks for vSync and the 5850 is no longer a bad choice for FSX. Then again, the new beta 257.15 driver from nVidia seems to be a big step forward and I wouldn't hope to see much difference between the 5850 and the 260, let alone 260 vs 275.I would say get the GTX260. Just my 2 cents

Hi MagnusAMD's latest drivers for ATI cards have sorted out the AA and anisotropic filter related issues. Add ******* tweaks for vSync and the 5850 is no longer a bad choice for FSX. Then again, the new beta 257.15 driver from nVidia seems to be a big step forward and I wouldn't hope to see much difference between the 5850 and the 260, let alone 260 vs 275.I would say get the GTX260. Just my 2 cents
How about the GTX 465? It is just about the same $ than the 275...

Hi Magnus,Don't go with the old technology, it will just stale-date that much faster. I recommend the GTX 470 that has performance that will blow your socks off, or at least the new GTX 465 at 233.79 Euros.Stephen

Guest SF22
Hi Magnus,Don't go with the old technology, it will just stale-date that much faster. I recommend the GTX 470 that has performance that will blow your socks off, or at least the new GTX 465 at 233.79 Euros.Stephen
I'll remember that, as they aren't really out of my price range. The biggest reason that I'm reluctant to buy a 465 or 470 is that I'm concerned over the temperature the components will run at. I'm also concerned that the 750W Coolmaster PSU I've planned won't be good enough (Intel I7 930...). I just think I'll go for the NVIDIA 260 GTX for now and if I later deem it necessary I'll upgrade to the 4XX line, after all there should be no problems installing a new GPU to the motherboard. Finally if there is someone who has a 4XX GPU do you need some fancy cooling to keep the card cold or?Thanks for your opinions!

I'll remember that, as they aren't really out of my price range. The biggest reason that I'm reluctant to buy a 465 or 470 is that I'm concerned over the temperature the components will run at. I'm also concerned that the 750W Coolmaster PSU I've planned won't be good enough (Intel I7 930...). I just think I'll go for the NVIDIA 260 GTX for now and if I later deem it necessary I'll upgrade to the 4XX line, after all there should be no problems installing a new GPU to the motherboard. Finally if there is someone who has a 4XX GPU do you need some fancy cooling to keep the card cold or?Thanks for your opinions!
Magnus, please look at my specs and follow the links under my signature. The GTX 470 does not run hot in FSX whatsoever (65-75c) even at full load. The 260 is far too less of a card for most purposes with FSX.