Sign in to follow this  

ATI Radeon 9700 Pro FPS Fix

I thought I'd come back and post the solution to my earlier problem with low FPS on my rig.First of all, my system.ASUS P4PE w/Intel 3.06 Hyperthreaded CPU.1 GB Corsair MemoryATI Radeon 9700 ProLatest Catalyst drivers from ATI's web site.Windows XP ProFor those that don't recall, I would get seemingly frame locked at 7 FPS. I fiddled with all sorts of settings, downloaded new drivers, etc.Somehow I managed to get it to work correctly, and my FPS went up to 70-100+ at 1024x768.Then the next time I started the game it went back to it's old ways. 6-7 FPS at idle on the runway. I even turned *ALL* game details to min. and it didn't make any difference.After more fiddling and time I figured out a solution to my problem that works consistantly.I found out that after I got into a plane, if I grabbed and moved the a/c panel with my mouse it would fix the frame rate problem.Which indicates some kind of bug somewhere. Either with the ATI drivers of the sim.In any case I'm happy now, and wanted to pass along this tidbit in case it could help someone else.Oh yeah, and I'm getting well over 60 FPS with most details maxed now. The lowest I've seen with everything maxed in the display settings and hardware is around 20 FPS. 20 FPS is too low for me, so I bumped back the MIPS and Number of Lights a little to get around 60-100 FPS. Very smooth.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Yeah, I wonder if it has something to do with the virtual cockpit for the sim. Our systems are not all that different. I'm running a 22" Mitsubishi monitor myself, and my desktop is set at 1800x1440.In any case, what I did worked, and is re-produceable. I'm just glad I can run FS2004 now.