Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ananusamongus

Core management and FSX

Guest Ananusamongus

Howdy-Is anyone using a multicore management software tool to improve FSX speed/framerates? Did/does it help? I see one of these programs listed on the Avsim main page, Multicore Environment. I think there's a couple more, maybe. I've got a fast PC, loads of memory, 2 Geforce in SLI, and some other goodness, so I actually get pretty good frames, even in dense scenes. Of course, like most of us, I wouldn't mind a new tweak, if it's reasonably likely to work. I just don't want to install, or pay for, something I'll live to regret. So, what do you think, what's your experience? Thanky!

I use the freeware program Prio to assign cores and priority level. FSX and TrackIR are set to high, and TrackIR and all other FSX associated programs are set to run on core0. FSX is set to affinitymask=14 in the fsx.cfg file.

Guest Ananusamongus

That's a good idea, Shane, and thanks. I've been setting the priority manually each time, part of my plan for maximizing the FSX experience. ;) Of course, doing it manually's somewhat of a PITA, but I'm glad to have the choices I have. I've got Prio downloaded, and I'll see what it does for me. I'm still wondering about what others may be using for core management. How do you assign one or more processor cores to a particular executable, like FSX? I confess my ignorance, folks, I hadn't considered the possibility before. I always assumed that things like that were basically unreachable by we mere users. Then I start seeing reference to "core management, optimization, etc.", and I'm left puzzled. There doesn't seem to be too many people using these utilities, or if there are, they're a close-mouthed bunch. Usually if something's a real winner, a big leap, there's noise about it, reviews, etc. Haven't seen any of that, except on the maker's webpage. The one mentioned here on the main page installs OK, and seems to -want to- work, but try asking for the allegedly 'free' key. Anyone receive a key yet? I've given it four addresses, inc. a neighbor's and my spare Google one. No key yet received.Well, anyway, I've been playing with the 'affinity' setting for FSX, and I've had encouraging results there. I'm using Win7 x64, but I know there's affinity settings as far back as XP Sp2. Try opening Task Manager while your FSX is running. Right-click on fsx.exe, select 'Set Affinity', then choose one or more processor cores to assign to FSX, or whatever other prgs you're using.This helps, it's free, you don't need any further software, and if you don't like the results, close FSX, and the settings that you just made go away, all back to your usual PC goodness.The only issue is what I just noted. I'd -like- to set priority high, and assign three cores of eight to FSX on a -permanent basis. So far nothing's reliably made those settings permanent. So, the question's again to y'all, what're you doing to make FSX get the best of your PC's hardware & software environment.-

Guest dswo

1. You can do this by modifying your program shortcuts: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vis...-windows-vista/2. Here's another utility: http://edgemeal.110mb.com/SetAffinity/index.htm.3. Some interesting material on AffinityMask setting in the "bojote's fsx.cfg file" thread: http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=283061. The claim is made that running FSX on 4 cores will not improve framerates over 3 cores. If true, that would leave a fourth core free for ActiveSky and TrackIR. But does the fourth core help FSX with texture loading? This was the big difference that I noticed when I upgraded from a Core2Duo E6600 to Core2Quad Q6600 at the same clock speed. (Note: according to Bojote, FSX will still use core 0 for some things, even if you specify not to.)

I've used this one for a long time:http://www.bitsum.com/prolasso.phpit does nag a bit here and there, but the programming is sound. There's a free version (with nag) or you can pay if you like. Up to you.I found that once I'd put the affinitymask to 14, and followed a similar setup to audiohavoc above, the sim is orders of magnitude better. Lovely and smooooth.Owen