Sign in to follow this  
htfc

F.A.O. FU 2 stalwarts

Hi to all,Those of us who still fly in FU2 from time to time may be interested in this, if you hadn't found it already.I have flown FU2 for years and found this today !Not before time, I have upgraded to a Logitech joystick with a twist rudder and 12 shiny buttons. This is a far more elaborate set-up than my faithful old one , which I could only use with 'coordinated rudder' checked.The controls are far more responsive , both in flight and on the ground [ taxiing with cordinated rudder was a real pain in tight spots.]The main reason for posting is to draw attention to a text file I found whilst assigning joykeys to FU3 / FU2 /FS9.This was lurking in my Fu2 root folder which gives some examples of Joykey settings.See below.........................................To make a joystick button issue a game command, like "raiselanding gear", you can specify that buttons act like specifickeyboard keys by adding lines like this to your flt2.cfg:-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=# Example of mapping joystick buttons to key commands# button 1 is flaps up, button 2 is flaps downbutton1_key Fbutton2_key f# button 3 is landing gear upbutton3_key g# button 4 is disabledbutton4_key off# buttons 5 & 6 increase and decrease trim, with autorepeatbutton5_key rep_[button6_key rep_]# buttons 7 & 8 increase and decrease mixture, with autorepeatbutton7_key rep_ctrl_kp_+button8_key rep_ctrl_kp_--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=You specify the key command which a joystick button willgenerate with a string which is a keyname preceeded by aset of modifiers. The keyname for simple characters is justthe character (e.g. 'g') The keynames for special keys, likeescape, backspace, function keys, and so on are:ins insert keydel delete keyhomeendpageuppagedownup arrow keysdownleftrightprint print/sysrq keypause pause/break keybs backspaceesc escapetab tabenter enter/returnspace space barf1 f2 f3 f4 function keysf5 f6 f7 f8f9 f10 f11 f12The modifiers are:alt Alt keyshift Shift keyctrl Control keykp keypad keysrep autorepeat enableFor keys which have a real typeable character (basically all thetraditional typewriter keys), when specifying the shifted characteryou must use the actual shifted character, not the unshiftedcharacter with the "shift" modifier. Examples:shift_f this will not workF this will workshift_/ this will not work? this will workshift_. this will not work> this will workThere is a list of all the keyname strings and the command theyexecute below.You can specify that a button should automatically repeat if it isheld down by adding the "rep" modifier to the key string. This isvery useful for commands which make small changes to flight controls,like the mixture and trim, as shown in the example above for buttons5, 6, 7 and 8.The delay (in seconds) before the key starts repeating is set by theconfig variable "joykey_repeat_delay", which defaults to 0.25 seconds.The time (in seconds) between successive repeats is set by theconfig variable "joykey_repeat_interval", which defaults to 0.1 seconds.All buttons which have autorepeat enabled share the same repeatdelay and repeat interval values.You can completely disable a joystick button by using the "off"key name string, as in the example for button 4.-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=Notes:If you don't know what the button numbering on your joystick is,you could assign the buttons to do numeric characters, so button 1would act as the '1' key, and bring up a dialog which has a textbox (such as the new logbook pilot name) and hit each button andsee what number appears in the dialog.Note that on joysticks with multiple point-of-view hats, some ofthe hats appear to programs as a set of buttons. For example,the CH Products Virtual Pilot Pro has 2 hats, and the second hatacts like joystick buttons *** TBD ***.-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=Flight Unlimited II Key Commandskp_enter return to cockpitkp_4 look leftkp_8 look rightkp_6 look forwardkp_2 look backwardkp_7 glance leftkp_9 glance rightkp_5 look forwardf1 full screen viewf2 VFR internal view (half instruments)f3 IFR internal view (all instruments)f4 virtual cockpitf5 external viewalt_f5 tactical view (from padlocked object to you)p padlock AI planeo padlock ground objectc padlock nearby plane which was on the radio lasti padlock met padlock towershift_p teleport me to AI planeshift_o teleport me to ground objectshift_c teleport me to nearby plane which was on the radio lastshift_i teleport me to my own planeshift_t teleport me to the towerf6 chase plane lag viewf7 rotating camera viewalt_f7 above viewf8 taxi viewf9 MTV cameraf10 drop cameraf11 fixed external cameraf12 toggle tape strip on/offalt_f12 toggle taxi path on/offalt_f cycle through COM frequenciesspace start COM menu1 - 9 COM menu choicesenter select highlighted COM menu itemalt_g send mayday callup pitch updown pitch downleft roll leftright roll rightkp_0 left brakekp_. right brakeb parking brakee engine startshift_e select enginekp_+ throttle upkp_- throttle downshift_kp_+ increase prop speedshift_kp_- decrease prop speedctrl_kp_+ increase mixturectrl_kp_- decrease mixture, left rudder. right rudder[ nose trim up] nose trim down\ center trimbs auto trimshift_, left_rudder_trimshift_. right_rudder_trimshift_/ center trim (is this right, or is it shift_\?)f flaps downF flaps upg landing gear up/downs smokepageup miracle key - up 500 feetpagedown miracle key - down 500 feetm inflight mapalt_o options pagez zoom inx zoom outh carbuuretor heat on/offl key PCL lightsshift_l exterior lights on/offctrl_z enter zoar modealt_x exit gameThey work a treat :( Mine is as follows...# button 5 is flaps up, button 6 is flaps downbutton5_key Fbutton6_key f# button 3 is trim down, button 4 is trim up [incremental]button3_key rep_]button4_key rep_[# button 7 is landing gear upbutton7_key g# button 2 is engine startbutton2_key e# button 1 is parking brakebutton1_key bRegards to all ............ :( Stuart

Thank you for the info. I use a Logitech Extreme 3dPro "twisty stick" and a Saitek Av8tor "twisty stick". Your post will be very helpful.jimb

dual boot: win8.1pro64bit (primary) | win10pro64bit  | mobo: MSI Prestige x570 Creation | cpu and cooler:  AMD 5950X; Noctua NH-U12A | ram: 4each 8gb sticks of ddr4-3200 CORSAIR Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2Z3200C16 | gpu:  nvidia RTX2070Super Founders Edition| lcd: LG 24" 4k, LG 24UD58-B

Hi Jim,Pleased you will find it useful.My stick is also a 'Logitech Extreme 3D Pro', I'm very impressed with it.Hey, FS9 is a great sim, but I will not be ditching FU2 / FU3 anytime soon.Stuart

Interesting!A long time ago I found the code string required to make FU III accept rudder pedals. To me that's very important but a twist stick would also suffice. The main thing is to get the main control axes as proper levers rather than keyboard punch commands. While punching works excellent for on/off commands it leaves a lot to be desired for smooth axial rotation.There are flt3.cfg entries and joykeys.cfg entries. My rudder pedals work with this string in my flt3.cfg; joystick setupjoy_device 2throttle_device 2 3rudder_device 1 6toe_brakes_device 1 1 2With a previous joystick the string that worked looked like this,;Logitechjoy_device 2throttle_device 2 3rudder_device 1 3toe_brakes_device 1 1 2Note that the only difference is a change of rudder device number.Some time ago I tried to make FU III work with rudder pedals and the Saitek yoke / throttle combo. I gave up since it seemed impossible to make the sim handle three "joysticks" at the same time. Since it does deal with two "joysticks" (yoke and pedals) it should be possible to get three. The complicating factor might be that Saitek links two "joysticks" to one single USB port while the rudder pedals are separate. If anyone knows a way to make FU III understand the Saitek yoke / throttle combo without sacrificing the rudder pedals I'd be happy to give it another try.