Sign in to follow this  
MrGreen

3 Quick Questions

Hi, after a long time flying the 744 exclusively i returned to the MD11 a while ago and i love it, i dont really know why i ever left her, because it is something about the MD11 that i can't really put my finger on, but it is an exciting plane. Anyway, i got 3 questions:1. After reading the advanced tutorial and using the preflight procedures in it, i saw that there was a part of the FCOM that had its own preflight procedures aswell, they are a bit different and a little harder to decypher, are the procedures stated in the advanced tutorial the "real" ones, or are they simplified?2. When the airplane is following NAV, for example in SIDs and STARs it often banks quite roughly, often waiting to the last moment and then banks fast instead of doing it a little earlier and more smoothely. Is this the real behaviour of the plane or just a bug/fsx limitation?3. Lastely, and this is related to the second question, when following the last portion of an ils approach the NAV is often a little misaligned to the localizer beam so that when you press APPROACH the autopilot banks hard to the left and the to the right or vice versa. Is this also realistic or a bug?Btw both the "problems" in Q 2 & 3 is experienced with the 744x.Thanks in advance! :)

William,1.The procedures you see in the advanced tutorial are not at all simplified, but you're right they're different in some points. I've used the Swiss Int. Air Lines procedures as a basis, except that I've used imperial weight measurements instead of metric. Both sets of procedures do exactly the same, it's just that the order of the tasks is somewhat different and they might be grouped a little bit different too. But it is as real as it can get. 2.I haven't observed what you have described here, but I guess it is very well possible that the bank behaviour is not a hundred percent correct in every case there is. For MSFS you are quite limited in what you do with the flight characteristics and the behaviour of the autopilot. tweak it to be perfect for once case, and it's way off for the other case. You end up at finding a balance that works nicely, but you can't guarantee that everything is 100% as the real aircraft, the base software (MSFS) is just not precise enough.3.There is a small quirk with the LOC capture stuff yes. I've noticed this too in some cases, and the real aircraft would correct for these kind of things much smoother indeed. But it's the same as in the reply above, tweak the LOC capture for one case, and you ruin the next. Finding the perfect balance is pretty much impossible. Regards,Markus

Markus Burkhard

Thanks for the help, that put my mind at ease (about the procedures) I have printed out the advanced tutorial and made it look more like a checklist to faster memorize the stuff, but i was having a bit of a "guilty conscience" as i thought it wasn't as realistic :(Too bad about the flight dynamics of the LOC capture, but it isn't that much of a problem as it doesn't make you crash or anything like that, just looks a bit ugly i guess ;)

I did the same thing William, and had that same exact feeling of guilt or unknowing. Tutorials are great because you can see what and when somethings being done to give you more of a sense of why. After I did the advance tutorial several times and read the manuals, I too wrote it down in check list fashion, but on 3" x 5" cards and it greatly speeded up the memorization side of things. This time and while learning the J41 more, I'm doing the same but in an excel spreadsheet with notes. It's so much neater than the cards but then again,,, I don't own a printer :(

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

Hehe, yeah i guess my first question was a bit of a privileged problem sort of thing, but you can never be too realistic, right? ;)I have a lot of used postit cards on my computer desk, but as you said Dan, it does help memorizing the procedures.