Sign in to follow this  
MrGreen

Smooth landings and lights

Hey. Been flying the MD11 a lot these past few days and with Fs2crew im having a blast.I'm quite okay at the landings and the hard ones occurs less frequently, but my ego would like to have it on paper :( Is there an addon (preferably free) that measures V/S on touchdown? I've heard of people referring to their V/S on landing so there must be a tool for this, or are they guessing? Oh, and it needs to be compatible with FSXAlso after looking at videos of night landings (mostly for the 747 though), the landing light doesnt nearly light up the ground so well as the planes in fsx. Now MD11 is alot better than most other aircrafts ive used when it comes to the light FX and i know you can't do anything with the ugly looking triangle thingy (or can you??) But wouldn't it be possible for me to just tone it down a little? Like dim the lights a bit? Nose landing lights becomes taxi lights and taxi lights are almost invisble...Anyway thanks pmdg for making such a great plane, and thanks to everyone that has helped me in the past on here. I gotta go, we're boarding!

FSacars does the job for the V/S too. And for the lights issue - I totally agree.

You can try FSpassengers
You don't want to do that, especially if using Vista. I and many others had problems with authorization under Vista. It registered fine and then in the middle of flight it said that I stole the program and it's going to end. Only solution is to reinstall, but how many times do you want to do that?And there's virtually no support, the guy who made it is always too busy to answer forum questions, the only support you get is from other users. But FS Flight Keeper is great.Grzegorz Furmanski

If i use Fsacars, will that cause a panel limitation problem with fs2crew? I thought that with fs2crew the panels are almost at 64.Flight keeper sounds interesting but im going to try fsacars first as it is for free.Thanks for the many replies!

I have used Flight Keeper but not that much. It does log tons of things though for a good analysis. FSPassengers adds a great deal to my flight simming and would not fly without it. I have NEVER had any of the problems listed above, but my guess is because I also have NEVER installed FSX (or any program) to either Vista or Win7's Program folder or (x86) folder. As for their support, I guess I'm just lucky since the owner of FSP himself has emailed me directly on countless occasions to help with issues. The most recent of which where he went out of his way to try and find out why FSP was crashing with the MD-11 after I insalled the Reality weather guage (long story short, it was because there were too many windows being used, but was not FSP's issue, but the way the MD11 had to be designed).Anywho, I would say Flight Keeper for those interested with stats. FSP just touches the threshold on it but not why I use it. After a flight it does list things in the debrief such as; landing speed, AOA, distance from threshold landed at etc... This is more than enough for me, but I wouldn't get FSP just for that, it's mainly for adding a virtual airline feel. You have passengers and all that, but mainly I like it because of it's career mode, aircraft upkeep and failures. It's tons of fun since it remembers the aircraft and failure rate increases depending on how long since your last maintenance (I just paid $9k to have my C182 flaps fixed :( ). I have yet to try FSacars. Let me know how you liked it for the lights please. (Speaking of FSP) I've been flying state to state in the US in a C182RG mostly at night in 1/4 mile vis and would love an addon that somehow fixed the pathetic lighting. The lower planes really tax the lights since at least in the MD11 and Queen I am at least higher up, but in the JS41 and smaller, the lawn keeper must hate me by now for turning too soon or too late and leaving my tire trails through the grass.*Back to FSP. A few more flight hours I can finally buy my JS41 for my new company!!! Well providing I maintain my other aircraft and have enough money that is. :(

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

Dan, i think you misunderstood Matthew (or maybe i did ;) ) Fsacars is an acars/flightlog addon, it doesn't improve the lights i'm afraid :/ Anyway i have FSP laying around, so to say, in my computer, i think i'll install it because the only thing i really need when it comes to flightlogs is touchdown v/s.Btw, do you know if FSP will screw up the gauge/window limit on the md11 together with fs2crew?

I have used Flight Keeper but not that much. It does log tons of things though for a good analysis. FSPassengers adds a great deal to my flight simming and would not fly without it. I have NEVER had any of the problems listed above, but my guess is because I also have NEVER installed FSX (or any program) to either Vista or Win7's Program folder or (x86) folder. As for their support, I guess I'm just lucky since the owner of FSP himself has emailed me directly on countless occasions to help with issues.
I never install anything in in program files folder.The addon itself is good, but there is few post on their forums with problem I described and in NONE of them the creator of FSP responded. Also quite a few people been asking for serial numbers via email and complaining that there's no answer. I've not visited it for some time now as I stopped using FSP, so maybe it got better. But last time I was there any questions about support from the author were answered by forum moderators, and it was always: he's busy. Grzegorz Furmanski

Dan, i think you misunderstood Matthew (or maybe i did ;) ) Fsacars is an acars/flightlog addon, it doesn't improve the lights i'm afraid :/ Anyway i have FSP laying around, so to say, in my computer, i think i'll install it because the only thing i really need when it comes to flightlogs is touchdown v/s.Btw, do you know if FSP will screw up the gauge/window limit on the md11 together with fs2crew?
I see, I saw a couple entries above where it said "will fix the light issue" hehe.Anywho, I don't know about any issue with FSP and FS2Crew. I have both but haven't run FS2Crew in a while, and never together. I know they will work fine together but not sure if they will in the MD-11. I would say try it and see. If it locks up it won't be a random lock up and you will see it within 10 seconds of loading your AC. If it does lockup you'll see the reason in the FSP.log (I love companies that create damn log files! I wish they all did).I never had issues until that last install. I finally got it working by simply removing 2 mission files from my Gauges folder. They are:missionpanels.cfgMissions.cabI would just toss them in a backup folder in case you want to do any FSX missions down the road (removing these two files will remove the mission compass thing).I'm curious to how you make out so please let me know. I may dust off my 2crew.* For others that don't know, there are a couple other threads you can find that I go in more detail, but the only difference with the PMDG AC are the MD-11 uses up most of the available windows within FSX and other addons have their own. Pop ups and overlays use one, so if run into issues/lockups you may need to start removing what you can live without.I have tons of addons running and only saw the problem once and it only happened after I installed the RXP500 weather gauge.Good luck!

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

Dan, fs2crew and fspassenger is working perfectly together. I looked in the panel.cfg and saw that i have a whopping 1 panel to spare :( Having fs2crew, AES and fspassenger all together is a bit of pain to synchronise though, but i managed untill climbing through 12000 feet and the passengers started passing out from altitude sickness...In my quest to have everything go smoothely i had configured the md11 to be unpressurized instead of disabling pressurization altogether :(

:( Haha, that's great. Yeah, I'm not a big fan of having to use the ole Shift+E to shut the door and often have them freaking out as I approach V1... Of course I keep it set for the stewardess to close it behind her, but often start a new flight after kicking out the passengers from the last flight and often choose load immediately, which always to my surprise gets left open... Time to cut the wages of my door handling ladies!

Dan Prunier

Hehe. One problem i found, or its rather a problem if you are using FSP and fs2crew together is that the FO will release parking brakes after shutdown (or when chocks are in position) so if you are boarding at that time or anytime earlier than before the before start checklist is complete the FSP timer will begin. Worth to know if you are planning on using them both together.

Good to know, thanks. That would definetely cause a problem when waiting for the timer to get under two minutes at the gate :(

Dan Prunier