Sign in to follow this  
wsieffert

Is DirectX 9.0b doing this...and is this a fix?

Ever since I installed DirectX 9.0b with FS2004, the sound has never within the sim (and only the sim) has never been quite right. It works more or less, but with glitches. For example, when loading an a/c in the 2-D screen in full screen mode, there is usually no cockpit sound at all until I move the throttle lever forward on my MS FFB2 stick (!) Then it's fine. But when I switch views and come back into the cockpit....no sound again! Until...I advance the throttle lever again.From time to time, the sound in Fs2004 just vanishes. Usually this happens after switching views and sometimes when re-setting after a crash. I've never experienced this stuff before.I just failed the Direct Sound test because DirectX could not even load whatever it needs to load to conduct it.In an experiment I just turned off the Hardware Sound Acceleration inside DirectX 9.0b and now I find that the volume in FS2004 is at least twice as loud as it ever has been and that the sound appears to work fine in full screen mode. This is very preliminary and I need to test it further.Why is this happening and does it seem like I've found a valid fix? What does sound acceleration do for the PC or the application anyway?Appreciate any posts, thanks!JS

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I'm getting the same results with DirectX 9.0b. I could barely hear ATC with volume set to max, while other sounds were OK. Turning down sound acceleration cured the volume problem.

Thanks for your post. Glad I'm not alone! Did you turn it down or totally OFF? In OFF position, I am getting faint crackling sounds inside the cockpit now and some weird external sounds in SPOT view. I wonder if it should be set to Basic or Standard....?JS

I too have seen this. I've actually lost sound to my whole system and have had to reboot or even reinstall my sound card drivers. Very weird, not to mention frustrating!!!I tuned down acceleration to "basic" and hopefully this will cure it.

I would download and install DirectX9.0b again. It seems you don't have all the necessary files, if DirectX can't accomplish the tests. There is also a troubleshooting tab in DirectX Diagnostic.You might also reinstall the drivers for your sound card/on-board. Lastly, make sure your MOBO controller chip drivers are up-to-date.W. Sieffert