Sign in to follow this  
lowew79

Nav radio toggle and ADF question

Hello! I have two questions and a slight gripe about the bonanza:1. How do you toggle between the nav1 and the nav2 radio as the "active" one for the AP and the HSI (I couldn't find a switch or nothing).2. On the RMI there are two little buttons at the bottom, they each seem to have a "in" and "out" setting. there two way arrows on them, presumably corresponding with the ADF 1 and 2 radios. What is function of these buttons? and my one "gripe"The doors on my aircraft won't stay open, when I nit the "Shift + E" keys the door will open and then slam back shut. This is on the ground with the plane completely shut down. Any ideas what I'm doin worng or how to fix it? Thanks!Andy

Your questions (1 and 2) are related. The buttons on the RMI let you toggle between the arrows showing NAV or ADF. - If you click the LEFT button, you will see the little green arrow pointing up to ADF or down to NAV: this tells the (single) green arrow on the RMI 'where to look at'. (Pardon me for not knowing the proper terminology here. :( ) This arrow is driven (pardon me again) by the NAV on the GPS (NAV1) or the top ADF (ADF1).- If you click the RIGHT button, you will see the little yellow arrow pointing up to ADF or down to NAV: this tells the (double) yellow arrow on the RMI 'where to look at'. This arrow is driven by the old fashioned NAV radio (NAV2) and the bottom ADF (ADF2).There is no switch for the NAV radios: NAV1 is connected with the green arrow and NAV2 with the yellow one. This also means there is no switch to make the HSI use NAV2! As you can probably see, the green arrow on the HSI is the exact same as the green one on the RMI: they are both slaved to the GPS NAV radio and there is no way (as far as I know) to make the second NAV radio control the HSI. (Don't know if the looks of the arrows are really made the same for this reason, but at least it's an easy way to remember what does what). And as far as I know this also goes for the AP: the GPS NAV controls the AP and that's it.Not everything is lost, though, because the VOR gauge on the right of the radio's is connected with the second NAV, so you can still manually fly approaches or whatever using NAV2 and that gauge. And the Bendix King DME underneath the HSI allows you to toggle between info about NAV1 and NAV2, which can also be nice if you need it. So you've got all the needles and gauges you might ever need: the only thing that can't be done (afaik) is to let the NAV2 control the AP.Can't help you with the doors, I am afraid...

Glad to have been of help. :( BTW After re-reading my post, I noticed I shouldn't have said "this tells the (single) green arrow on the RMI 'where to look at'" but "this tells the (single) green arrow on the RMI 'what to show: NAV or ADF'. I think that makes more sense (and comes closer to the 'proper terminology') I just couldn't come up with the right words yesterday! :( It's funny how you sometimes try to think of the right words and they just won't come and one day later, while reading what you wrote, you instantly see where you went wrong and what you should have said. Still, I think you already figured out what it is all about. :(