Sign in to follow this  
Vulcan

Another possible FPS tip

Guest luhiss

I remembered something from the old days and decided to try it out, with some promising effects.I usually run my desktop at 1152x864 and FS9 at 1024x768. Resizing my desktop to the same resolution as FS9 prior to launching seems to give me a considerable performance boost... in my case, about 3-4 fps (which is quite a bit considering I was getting about 10 at high density airports with all sliders maxed)Anyone care to test this out and comment?Luhiss

Hi,that doesn't seem strange at all. What you did was change the resolution in windows mode (with the menu on top of the FS window visible) to 1024x768. Before that, your FS session was at the higher res in window mode.This decreases the load on the vid card (a bit, modern cards with 128 MB don't really mind about such a small change) giving higher performance.I'm no vidcard expert at all, but also the 1152 res could be a cause as it's an in-between res. The ratio is Ok (4:3 as with 1024x768) but the normal way to go would be 1280x960. Try that res on your desktop once.Even better, change the res in the options/display/hardware tab in FS and go full screen using Alt-Enter. It's a lot quicker change and you can test your res/performance balance easier.Cheers,Cas

1280x960 looks funny on my monitor though, its kind of squished. Any way to fix that other than playing with the monitor settings? 1280x1024 fits pretty good here, still using a 17 inch monitor until next week..eeeek!Hornit

Hornit,If 1280x960 actually brings in the sides of the display so it no longer fills all of your monitor screen then your monitor can't handle that res.If, however 1280x960 dose fill the screen then you are just suffering from 'eye lag' :-) By that I mean you are used to the 1280x1024 view which, as others have said, is not the correct ratio. AFAIK all versions of FS and add-ons are produced for a 4:3 ratio which is 1280x960, anything else will not render round objects as round.Rgds