Sign in to follow this  
acmech

Is the ATI 4650 the fsx video card solution?

Guys that Aerosoft article was written by someone who didn't even know how to enable AA/AF in the video card until a number of us pointed it out to him. :Talking Ear Off: It was intended for newbies who know nothing about FS because you tell me how that 4650 does when you try to crank up the AA/AF... :Shame On You: Maybe it is just me but you wouldn't catch me anytime in the past 8 or 9 years simming without AA/AF!Come on, FSX runs better on old HW? Do you want to buy my official ROLAX watch for $1000 while you are at it? :Thinking: -P

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Do you want to buy my official ROLAX watch for $1000 while you are at it? :Thinking: -P
No, thanks. I really do not know much about who you are but, maybe Mathijs Kok will .

Guys that Aerosoft article was written by someone who didn't even know how to enable AA/AF in the video card until a number of us pointed it out to him. :Talking Ear Off: It was intended for newbies who know nothing about FS because you tell me how that 4650 does when you try to crank up the AA/AF... :Shame On You: Maybe it is just me but you wouldn't catch me anytime in the past 8 or 9 years simming without AA/AF!Come on, FSX runs better on old HW? Do you want to buy my official ROLAX watch for $1000 while you are at it? :Thinking: -P
I fully agree

I see your point, Although it states in the aerosoft topic that, FSX actually works harder or slower with faster video cards.
There were many, many threads on various forums discussing that Aerosoft article at the time it was released.No need to repeat it here but here is the one line summary: ignore that article, it's just bogus!

There were many, many threads on various forums discussing that Aerosoft article at the time it was released.No need to repeat it here but here is the one line summary: ignore that article, it's just bogus!
Oh well, if so fs9 still rocks! :Big Grin:

Well, I was going to send it(the ati 4650) back although, the company inwhich I had purchased it from said, even though I didn't open the package it will still have a restocking fee. With that said, I went ahead and installed the card just to see for myself what was the deal. To my surprise this $50 card works as almost as good as my $500 cards even in fs9.No, flashing textures,or waiting and it even seems like the sim loads faster. It was almost disappointing because of all the money I have wasted on video cards. I did not see fsx going nuts with the best frames but I did see pretty smooth frames even in quality payware aircraft. I have not moded anything in fsx as far as config. When I get some free time I will continue to test. I will keep this card because of the small amount of noise it produces and results it puts out.Damn, I have wasted so much on video cards for these out dated sims that it is almost worth crying over....:Cry:

Guest veeray

acmech: when that article was written the 5870 or the Fermi's weren't evem out yet..people were spending hiundreds on cards not much more powerful than the base 8800GT model, just so they can get an extra few frames.

acmech: when that article was written the 5870 or the Fermi's weren't evem out yet..people were spending hiundreds on cards not much more powerful than the base 8800GT model, just so they can get an extra few frames.
Ok,that might be a fact,although with my cpu, Intel Core i7-980X Extreme Edition Gulftown my system is getting the same amount of frames as I do with either a $50 card or the $500 card. To be honest, I cant really see any difference in quality of image either. I understand that newer cards have more this and that but, maybe with this flightsim software that is so old, newer cards are over kill and the cpu is what is really the important factor in the case of this out dated software. Anybody can argue with me, the plain fact is I see what I see...

And you're not alone. Even at 1920x1080 the CPU is still the bottleneck. Hard to believe for anyone who is not familiar with FSX

Ok,that might be a fact,although with my cpu, Intel Core i7-980X Extreme Edition Gulftown my system is getting the same amount of frames as I do with either a $50 card or the $500 card. To be honest, I cant really see any difference in quality of image either. I understand that newer cards have more this and that but, maybe with this flightsim software that is so old, newer cards are over kill and the cpu is what is really the important factor in the case of this out dated software. Anybody can argue with me, the plain fact is I see what I see...

And you're not alone. Even at 1920x1080 the CPU is still the bottleneck. Hard to believe for anyone who is not familiar with FSX
You are so right . 1920x1080 is exactly what my screen resolution is and even using the $50 card. All I can say is no more video card upgrades for this old software, only cpu upgrades(well, atleast if the new cpu shows some real gain from what I currently own) .

Guest veeray

Oh well if you follow the entire guide there is no way you'd get the same Framerate between the 4650 versus the GTX480 or ATI 5870?