Sign in to follow this  
liamr685

Tail wheel a/c

Ok, i bet this has been discussed a billion times before...but..How do i turn tail wheel a/c on the ground? i know if i had a joystick with rudder control it would work, but my stick doesnt.is there another way of doing it? turning tail wheel a/c on the ground?Liam

OS: Windows 10 Home Premium 64Bit CPU: Intel i7 4790K Quad @ 4.4GHz MoBo: ASUS Z97 Pro Gamer GPU: nVidea/Gigabyte GTX980 RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair 1600C9 Vengeance DDR3 1600Mhz PSU: Seasonic X-650 80+ Gold Monitor: ASUS VG248QE 1920x1080, 144Hz, 1ms

Aha, cheers, ill try it when i land, im currently in the last 929nm of my 5000nm trip in my A340-600 from EDDF to KLAXLiam

OS: Windows 10 Home Premium 64Bit CPU: Intel i7 4790K Quad @ 4.4GHz MoBo: ASUS Z97 Pro Gamer GPU: nVidea/Gigabyte GTX980 RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair 1600C9 Vengeance DDR3 1600Mhz PSU: Seasonic X-650 80+ Gold Monitor: ASUS VG248QE 1920x1080, 144Hz, 1ms

Guest belga1

Hello,AFAIK .. in FS2004 the tail wheel (when plane on ground) is bonded with the rudder surface movement.And for be able to turn with tail wheel you must have a free angle of rotation (any) defined in the contact points section aircraft.cfg !Like this (bold number)

[contact_points] //0 Class //1 Longitudinal Position (feet) //2 Lateral Position (feet) //3 Vertical Position (feet) //4 Impact Damage Threshold (Feet Per Minute) //5 Brake Map (0=None, 1=Left, 2=Right) //6 Wheel Radius (feet) //7 Steer Angle (degrees) //8 Static Compression (feet) (0 if rigid) //9 Max/Static Compression Ratio //10 Damping Ratio (0=Undamped, 1=Critically Damped) //11 Extension Time (seconds) //12 Retraction Time (seconds) //13 Sound Type //14 Airspeed limit for retraction (KIAS) //15 Airspeed that gear gets damage at (KIAS)point.0=1, -20.21, 0.00, -1.60, 3200, 0, 0.30,60.0, 0.40, 2.5, 0.80, 7.5, 5.00, 0, 0, 135
0 or 180 give no giration tail wheelDepending of the model this can be visualized or not :( Regards.bye.gifGus.

So what number should i put in there? between 0-180?

Guest belga1

Hello,

So what number should i put in there? between 0-180?
Better set between 1 and 89 :( Above it's 60 .. but can be 15 or 45 or 64 or 32 or any you choice :( Something to experiment ... for check how the plane react on the rudder impuls on ground .......BTW .. same rule for a nozewheel steeringRegards.bye.gifGus.

In aircraft like DC-3 you don't control the tail wheel at all. You turn by applying brakes on either the right or left wheel. Best is to use pedals with toe brakes but if you don't have them, hitting the brake and pulling the joystick to a side makes you aircraft turn as well - but it's unbelievably inconvenient. I don't remember whether auto-rudder has to be on or off for this to work.

In the real world, some tail draggers do have steerable tailwheels linked to the rudder and others have a fully castoring tailwheel that is not steerable but rotates if it is not locked. Some have both - a limited amount of steering for smaller corrections and then if you use heavy differential braking and full rudder the tailwheel disconnects from steering and rotates freely (preferably to 90 degrees) so you can do a quick turn to line up on a runway or to swing 180 degrees when parking.If it is single-engine, then you want to use some power (to make the rudder effective by increasing airflow) and rudder movements for small corrections and differential braking if the rudder is not effective enough.If twin engine, you use differential power and rudder steering, again using differential braking if necessary.Of course, I know FS is not the real world, but if you have split throttles and rudder pedals with toe braking it all seems to work as it should. (I have MAAM DC3, Aerosoft Super Cub, RAS Spitfire, Milton Shupe Beech 18, Carenado C185 and they are all fairly realistic on the ground)Hope this helps. Nothing more satisfying than being able to master a tail dragger. Loads of fun! :(