Sign in to follow this  
dm123

Install problems - please help

I am getting close to giving up, please help me!I have copy of FSX Gold and it had been running on a 64-bit copy of Windows 7. (its an i7 laptop with a 5000 series gpu, if that helps) It had been running fine but it was on my C drive, which was running out of space, so I moved it to D. I had a problem or two (for example, the augusta heli was lost in the move), so I tried an uninstall. It didnt work, so I just deleted the entire program and tried reinstalling. I had problems with that, and I still couldn't uninstall, and one thing led to another. I currently have .98 gigs of FSX somewhere on my computer apparently, though where it is, I do not know. I cannot uninstall because I get the failed to load dll error. I tried rebuilding, but that got all the way to the end, and then I got insert disk. Not insert disk 4, just insert disk. So I removed it as much as I could from my computer by deleting the files, but as I said, I still have .98 gigs left according to my computer.thanks

Daniel Miller

Your problem seems to be that when you moved things or did a uninstall you did not clean your registry or at least modify it. In other words the info for FSX still resides in your registry so when you put in your disk it reads the registry and still trys to default to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\FSX. An example of these registration entries is like the one I am attaching.As you can see it gives the program name and default location.......in this case Disc 2. No matter if I delete the program....the next time I install it will still load FSX Disc 2 to C:\Program Files (x86) Microsoft Games\FSX because that is what is in the Registry. The registry must be cleared of all FSX entries before trying to reinstall FSX to a different directory. If you changed the location of the program then you must go into the registry and change the entries to point to the new location. Best thing to do here is to remove the program, clean your registry of all FSX entries and then Reinstall FSX and change the default directory. By the way...... this is no easy task. Cleaning your registry, manually, could take 4 to 5 hours. Your best ally in this task is to use a program like REVO Uninstaller. It will not clean all the registry entries but it will make it easier for you to clean what remains.Be sure that once removed both the FSX directory under Microsoft Games and the FSX directory under C:\Users\[user name]\mydosuments\Flight Simulator X Files. Don't forget to empty your recycle bin and then be sure to re-boot before reinstalling FSX.Hope this helpsDave

I did everything that you said, though I didnt see anything in my Registry that looked exactly like that. But right now the problem to me at least seems to be that mysterious .98 gigs of  FSX that I cant find. Because of that, the computer wont give my an option to install. It still is only Rebuild or Uninstall. I tried uninstalling again, and I am still getting the dll error. Around the internet, I saw something about using Microsoft Installer Cleanup, but unfortunately that is no longer available.dm123

Daniel Miller

If you have SkyPE I will try to assist you. My skyPE user name is smithdavidp. I leave mine on so when you log into skyPE shoot me a message. You must be missing somthing because you are too close to the problem. I get that way somtimes and can't even diagnose the simplist problem and then I feel like a fool when someone points it out to me. We'll have to pick a time to tackle this when you have 4 or more hours to devote to it. I am retired so I have plenty of time......er......well......I better say that my activities are not governed by a clock. Raised%20Eyebrow.gif

Well, I've been on the phone with Support, and it is definitely Registry. Sadly, they couldn't find anything in the usual locations, so they will be calling me back after speaking to advanced technicians.  dm123

Daniel Miller

The Microsoft technician (Robert) called me back, and by the looks of it, he solved the problem. Unless I get some terrible error at the end of the installation, it seemed he fixed it!Dm123 

Daniel Miller