Sign in to follow this  
ghulley

Surface turbulence = none, really?

I've been using ASE since it was released now, and although a great piece of software, I've always had issues with surface/boundary layer turbulence. Most of the time I get very little, if no turbulence on short-finalinto an airport which does not seem realistic. eg. last night into KSFO the wind was 300@12 with zero turbulence on final, with the result that the aircraft flies like a rock down the glideslope with almost no input neededto keep it on glidepath and centerline (yes, the 767 is a stable aircraft, but not that stable!). My surface turbulence setting is at minimum 80, but if 'none' is set in Wxconfig this makes no difference right?Surely at minimum there should be a light chop on final approach with light winds, especially over heterogeneous land surfaces?Does anyone else experience the same thing?

I agree. I wish I could get more chop in windy conditions. I'll keep and eye out on this thread and see if you get an answer. Good Question though. Thanksanthony

Anthony

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz   3.60 GHZ, 32 GB ram, win 10, gtx 1080 gpu

I agree. I wish I could get more chop in windy conditions. I'll keep and eye out on this thread and see if you get an answer. Good Question though. Thanksanthony
Yes I agree. Landings seem far to easy in windy conditions.Iain Smith

Another example: landing at KJFK on the 13L Canarsie approach yesterday afternoon, the NOAA aviation weather center (http://aviationweather.gov/adds/turbulence/) was indicating moderate or greater turbulence in the New York Center area after the low pressure system that moved through. However, ASE once again had turbulence set to 'none' from surface up through all higher levels, which gives you the sense of flying in a vacuum on approach! To me it would make sense to have surface/boundary layer turbulence at least set to 'occasional' with light winds around. It would be interesting to know from what source ASE gets its turbulence information from.

Today at KSFO, wind is 300@17, with turbulence = 'none' and shear = 'severe'. This makes no sense as the major cause of air turbulence is in fact wind shear.