Sign in to follow this  
Guest chickenwings

FSX SDK Capable of this..............?

Guest chickenwings

I have an idea for a possible mod and have been thinking about installing the sdk and attempting to create.However I am not sure if the sdk provides the capability to do what I have in mind. I dont even want to start on this unless I know its even possible to do.I have been researching an answer to this, but so far I have not been able to find anything that directly pertains to this, so Im hoping someone with experience can provide a few answers and maybe point me in the right direction to some tutorials or other information that relates to the subject.Without further delay here is the main question I have right now regarding the FSX SDK:Does the SDK allow me to change the contours of the land to ANY shape and size I want?

Mesh can be made to show any elevation up to about + or - 32767 meters, and the land and water masking can make anything land or water. But this has all been true since FS2000.Dick

Guest chickenwings

Thank you for the reply Rhumba,While I think I may have a good "outside the box" idea, I think in the end it would be a tremendous amount of work. Especially for me.Im just gonna let this idea out into the open, as maybe someone with more know how might be able to do something with it.Basically, its like this:What if somebody were to make houses/buildings/structures out of the actual shapes of the terrain/ contours of the land / however you like to think of it. So say in a city, houses and buildings are created the same way that mountains are. Just on a much smaller scale, and mass produced, and then painted somehow. In theory this would provide that 3D look, feel and "texture" (forgive me for saying texture as I believe textures are actually something else in fsx technically) to the landscape, without the FPS hits (and some might say ugliness) that come with autogen.Anyway I hope I explained it right.Any thoughts?

On the surface it sounds like a daunting task. As for performance, I think that would all depend on how powerful your system is with regards to mesh rendering. Also, the mesh resolution setting within FSX would affect what displays.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

High resolution terrain, such as that collected from LiDaR does (in its raw form) contain information about building heights which can be compiled with the resample tool into a bgl file.However, there are several problems with this approach:ortho-rectified aerial photos don't contain information to render the sides of buildings (or indeed any face too far away from horizontal)Users would need to run very high mesh complexity and resolution settings....and even then, the highest accuracy LOD doesn't get loaded until very closeSo.....not really useful.