Sign in to follow this  
ESzczesniak

FS9 Menus in Windows 7 64 bit?

I initially posted this in the Windows 7 forum, but it seems to have very little traffic compared to these forums. Thought I'd try checking in here and seeing if I could find help here.I upgraded to Windows 7 64 bit from Windows XP about 9 months ago. At that time, I only installed FSX and had almost made a full transition away from FS9. However, I've been waiting for a long time for a full fidelity 737NG sim and the iFly release has made me look back at FS9 again (I'm sure PMDG will be the king, but it's still looks to be at least a few months away). I reinstalled FS9 a couple days ago in preperation for possibly buying the iFly 737 and have found that some of the menus don't seem to work properly.Specifically, I find when accessing non-MSFS menus (i.e. FSUIPC settings, Level-D settings, etc) while in full screen mode I just get a black screen. If I press enter (as a proxy for clicking OK on the menu) I get back to the main flight simulator screen. If I work in Windowed mode (which I prefer not to) I don't have this issue and all menus work just fine. I also don't seem to have any issues with the standard MSFS menus (aircraft selection, realism settings, go to airport, etc.).Is this a known issue with FS9 and Windows 7 64 bit...or a known issue with something else? And if so, are there any known solutions? Thanks for any help.

Eric Szczesniak

I too have found full-screen mode to be "flaky" on Win7 64 bit. I use windowed mode now with no problems.I also suggest you right click on FS9.exe and in the compatability tab check the boxes for "Disable visual themes" and "Disable desktop composition. This will turn off the Win7 active desktop when you run FS9.Peter

Peter Schluter

Same here. I have the same problem with Windows 7 x64. I think it is just a glich they cant solve. So i learned to deal with it. But it is very annoying.

Installing the older DX runtime libraries may help here, even though DX11 has somewhat backward compatibility you may need the older libraries for apps that need access to them.You can download  the DX Runtime Web Installer from Microsoft that will install all the legacy libraries.Hope this may help as I had just set up a Win7/64 box for my brother in-law. At first had trouble with menus, kneeboard, fsuipc etc installed the runtimes and everything now seems much better, but installed no complex add-ons to verify if this would be a “cure all” for this issue. Still had small issues not with menus though and believe it is due to using on-board graphics, which should be solved when he installs a dedicated card.Curious about this issue also, after working with Win7/64 and FS9 for a few days and am quite happy with the results, thinking of making the jump, plenty of resources with 64 bit, still using XP on a P4 with FS2004.Dave

Guest belga1

Hello,Take care ....Why install directX 9.0cIt's already included in the version of the OP (backward compatible)It's suggested to NEVER install a old DirectX version over another newest .. it's a call for problems AFAIK

are there any known solutions?
You have already one ... (you tell us) windowed mode for the particular operation ..... :( Regards.bye.gifGus.