Sign in to follow this  
rvc70

Scenery file question

I recently reinstalled FSX due to some problems that I couldn't correct. I did a complete deletion of FSX through the Control Panel and in my C:\ drive. At any rate, now when I load FSX and go to the settings/scenery all the entries are there and when I fly to these locations everything seems to be working fine. However, when I look at the two scenery files (one in the FSX directory and one in Documents & Settings\etc) only a couple of the addon entries are there. All the default entries are present in both but not all the addons I have installed. What would cause this to happen and how do I correct it if I even should?

I recently reinstalled FSX due to some problems that I couldn't correct. I did a complete deletion of FSX through the Control Panel and in my C:\ drive. At any rate, now when I load FSX and go to the settings/scenery all the entries are there and when I fly to these locations everything seems to be working fine. However, when I look at the two scenery files (one in the FSX directory and one in Documents & Settings\etc) only a couple of the addon entries are there. All the default entries are present in both but not all the addons I have installed. What would cause this to happen and how do I correct it if I even should?
I suspect your are not looking at the scenery.cfg file which FSX actually writes addon data to.On my FSX setup (XP as the Operating System), the one which houses all the scenery data is located here:C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\FSXThe location of your scenery.cfg will vary depending upon what OP you are using but it will in a location similar to the above.BTW - if you are not seeing the cfg extension, be sure to uncheck the "Hide extension for known file types" option which is usually found in the Tools/Folder Options/View dialogue. Hope that helps.

Guest firehawk44
Opa is correct for the XP system. For the Vista and Windows7 OS, the working scenery file is located in C:/Program Data/Microsoft/FSX/. You don't want to delete, edit, or mess around with any of the non-working scenery.cfg's. Best regards,Jim

I suspect your are not looking at the scenery.cfg file which FSX actually writes addon data to.On my FSX setup (XP as the Operating System), the one which houses all the scenery data is located here:C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\FSXThe location of your scenery.cfg will vary depending upon what OP you are using but it will in a location similar to the above.BTW - if you are not seeing the cfg extension, be sure to uncheck the "Hide extension for known file types" option which is usually found in the Tools/Folder Options/View dialogue. Hope that helps.
You have just answered my question, I have been looking in C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX not C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX. That explains it all, thank you for waking me up.