Sign in to follow this  
Nick75

CPU Core Voltage is very high without any overclocking?

I've just recently upgraded to a Q9650 Quad Core CPU, just went to start overclocking it, and have noticed that the core voltage reading in CPU-Z is ridiculously high at 1.44V (see attachment)??? :unsure: As I stated, I haven't even done any overclocking yet.I'm just wondering why on Earth it's so high, and what I could possibly do to bring it down, as it's quite unnerving to say the least!Any responses would be much appreciated.

What do you have it set to in the BIOS? If it's on auto, try dialing in one that'll be stable (1.3V is probably fine) and see what happens when you reboot.

What do you have it set to in the BIOS? If it's on auto, try dialing in one that'll be stable (1.3V is probably fine) and see what happens when you reboot.
Hi Mike, thanks for the reply. I've just checked in the BIOS and it wasn't on auto as such, but was actually set at 1.4875V for some reason. I can't understand why it was set that high by default? Seems a bit strange... It just immediately got me worried there was something wrong, as I haven't actually been in the BIOS myself since upgrading the CPU and just kind of presumed it would've already been set at auto?? :Thinking: Anyway, I changed it to 1.3V as you suggested and it now shows as 1.256V in CPU-Z. Hopefully that should be ok.Cheers

Why don't you try putting it to AUTO and see what you get. My guess is you'll end up with a even lower voltage.

Jason

FAA CPL SEL MEL IR CFI-I MEI AGI

Hi Mike, thanks for the reply. I've just checked in the BIOS and it wasn't on auto as such, but was actually set at 1.4875V for some reason. I can't understand why it was set that high by default? Seems a bit strange... It just immediately got me worried there was something wrong, as I haven't actually been in the BIOS myself since upgrading the CPU and just kind of presumed it would've already been set at auto?? :Thinking: Anyway, I changed it to 1.3V as you suggested and it now shows as 1.256V in CPU-Z. Hopefully that should be ok.Cheers
Haha, that would do it. It's strange that it would be so high by default, though. Maybe the motherboard just got confused by the new CPU.windycloud is right. Go ahead and set it on auto (I assumed it was since you said you hadn't changed anything), and it'll probably get by on a much lower VCore for now. There's really no need for 1.3V at stock settings; I suggested that because it seemed like a good middle-of-the-road voltage that left some margin for error if the motherboard was acting funny. Since it seems to be working right otherwise, it's just wasting energy to have it that high. You'll want to set it manually once you start overclocking, but auto is fine until then.

Guest simmer9304

I learned recently that if your vcore is set too high your CPU will use most of the voltage even uselessly. If it's running at stock speeds it may be fine on minimum or just above minimum voltages.