Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Angel

Landing the default Mooney Bravo....

I've been trying out the FS9 Mooney, 'cause it brings back fond memories of Flight Unlimited III, and the extra speed over my usual default plane (the C172) sure is nice.However, I am really having trouble landing. My first problem is that I'm having a hard time seeing the runway in the VC when I am on final, because in order to stay at a 400 or 500 fpm descent on the glideslope, I have to keep the nose pretty high. If I dip the nose down so that I can see the VASI lights and touchdown point, I tend to loose altitude pretty quick.I'm thinking perhaps I am just not used to having the cowling in the way. I've tried moving the eyepoint up as far as I can while keeping it somewhat realistic, and I still don't seem to have enough visibility over the nose. It just doesn't seem possible to fly this thing down a glideslope and see where you are going.My other problem is that the help docs say that I should be at 75 or 80 knots on final, and this seems to be too slow to keep the plane from just starting to sink and not even make the runway threshold.Despite the speed issue, I've managed to land most of the time, but it's been sloppy, and I can't see the runway so I am usually just guessing on the centerline.Any advice?

Guest RichD

I like the Mooney but I am having the same problem. No matter how I adjust the view in the VC I have a problem seeing the runway on final. By using the speed brakes and full flaps I can get it on the ground but it isn't pretty. I have been going back to the 2d panel for landings. I don't think Microsoft got the perspective right when they did the new VC. Just my opinion.Richrd

Thanks, Rich.Has anyone had any success landing the Mooney in the VC? I've been trying some more this morning and it just ain't happenin' for me.

I too enjoy flying the Mooney. In the June 3003 issue of AOPA magazine, the cover story is on the new Mooney M20R Ovation2 DX. Part of the article states..."There's something else new about the instument panel: It's been lowered by two inches. This step was taken in response to complaints be some pilots that they didn't have enough forward visibility in Mooneys-especially during taxi, takeoff, and landing. Engineers squeezed the panel vertically, then tightened the radii of the "bow tubes"-support tubing that forms the upper rim of the panel. This allows the redesigned glareshield to ride lower and provide more of a forward view". I am no real world pilot, and have never been in a Mooney, so I can't say from any personal experience if MS got this right or not. I believe that the Mooneys had somewhat poorer vis over the panel than most other contemporaries from other articles I've read. Hope this helps. If you enjoy flying general aviation planes, I highly recommend membership in the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association. Their web site is www.aopa.org

Guest OneTinSoldier

Howdy,Ahhh, sounds like me when I started using the PMDG 737. In the PDMG forum I posted that I felt like I'm a child who needs a high chair when I switch to VC. So, how are you guys trying to adjust the view? Anyway, this was the response I got was...You can use Shift-Enter to raise yourself and Shift-Backspace to lower yourself.I thought, Very cool! ;) Then I looked on the kneeboard(F10) and saw that sure enough those commands are in there. As well as in 'View Commands' of course under 'Controls' --> 'Assignments'. Now, I don't know, in the Mooney, this may perhaps be considered cheating. But hey, raising the view is what I do whenever I feel the desire to do so.Hope that helps,Jim Richards

Guest allcott

Two things also spring to mind. Firstly, the Mooney has a very low undercarriage and as a consequence any kind of tail low landing runs a serious risk of tailstrike, suggesting that the nose-high landing is incorrect somehow. You might want to look at a replay of your landing to make sure your attitude is not putting the tail at risk of a strike.Secondly, and most importantly, the Mooney Bravo is not a full fuel/full pax aircraft, yet MS defaults give the Mooney 100% fuel load with 4 pax. My suggestion is to revise the fuel or passenger weight so that you land with less than 50% fuel remaining.Also, the Mooney is equipped with air brakes. There's nothing rwong with dumping full flap and gear, then increasing power to get the nose down, then controlling the sink rate and speed with the airbrakes. Make go-arounds a lot easier as you don't have to wait so long for the turbo to spool. Allcott

Guest OneTinSoldier

Allcott,Just thought I'd say thos sound like really good suggestions and tips! :)Jim

Yep. Thank you very much, everyone, for the input.I've been flying several successful landings with the Mooney over the last couple of hours. I kept the speed up to around 85 knots on final, using full flaps and speedbrake and a sligtly nose-down attitude. I've found that if I fly the glideslope just a bit high (3 white lights), I can maintain visual on the threshold (as long as I have the eyepoint adjusted up a few notches).I lower the throttle as I cross the threshold, and flare at around 75 knots. My wheels touch down at around 65 or 70, which seems about right. Landings have been very smooth, and for some reason I am very good at estimating proper flare height in the mooney (in the C172 I tend to flare too high and balloon). As allcot mentioned, you want to keep the flare pretty shallow to avoid dragging the tail.The mooney is really fun to fly. It trims out very nicely, and seems much more stable than some of the others. I'm considering making it my default plane, at least until Dreamfleet upadtes their Cardinal for 2004.