Sign in to follow this  

Any chance of a PCI video card will run FS2004 - please...

I need to ask if there is a chance to run FS2004 with a PCI card?I have a 3.06GHz, 512K Cache, 533MHz Front Side Bus 1.5GB DDR266MHz ECC SDRAM with a Wildcat4 7110 256meg video card.The problem is the $1700.00 video card I have will only support DX7 and of course OpenGL. I am unsure if MS is supporting OpenGL!!!!!So is there a chance of a PCI card to handle this task or am I looking for a paddle in a murky creek?????

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

You definately got your moneys worth on that card! LOLIt'll run it, but you won't be able to take full advantage of its goodies using the PCI slot. Do they not have updated drivers that will help the existing card??? I assume you use it for video editing or web design as it should have some use for that kind of money!Considering most high end gaming cards are not even made for a PCI slot, your best bet is to try it out.Regards, Michaelhttp://mysite.verizon.net/res052cd/mybannercva1.jpgCalVirAir International VAwww.calvirair.comCougar Mountain Helicopters & Aviationwww.cgrmtnhelos.com

I just bought an ATI Radeon 7500 PCI card and find it acceptable to me (FR locked at 15). Before this I was using the onboard video (Intel 845/845GL) and it was OK with FS2002 but totally unacceptable with FS2004. I would have preferred an AGP card but my PC doesn't have an AGP slot. I didn't spend much money and I'm happy with my purchase. R-

>You definately got your moneys worth on that card!Michael, thanks for the quick reply.The machine is a high end Cad machine and it will work great for that.About upgrading the software, 3DLabs says it will not happen ever....Looks like I need toA. find a PCI cardB. Pull the card and install another card when I game with it.C. Hope MS supports OpenGL.D. stick with FS2002.....Rob, thanks for the reply.ATI RADEON 7500 PCI card has how much memory?Is it a DX8 or DX9 card?

"ATI RADEON 7500 PCI card has how much memory?" 64MB"Is it a DX8 or DX9 card?" I don't know what that means. R-

I am pretty sure that Wildcat would run FS2004 ok with DX7 interfaces. It works fine with my DX7 Radeon 7200. All you need to do is try it with the Wildcat first then if its a no-go, go with a PCI card. BTW I love that Wildcat LOL. I really wouldnt mind having that in my system with all the work I do in AutoCAD (well, not much work at all acutally LOL). I don't even work in 3D, but having a high end CAD card would make my computer so 31337 :-lol.

The Geforce FX 5200 comes in a PCI flavour and is probably fastest of the PCI pack that I know of (Radeon 9000 and Geforce4 MX). Check out pricewatch.com and search for geforce fx pci.Gary

Thanks for all the responses, I will give the wildcat a try and see how it performs before I go PCI Hunting.thanks for the tips on what PCI card to get.....