Sign in to follow this  
crvm

Streamlining FS2004 on XP Pro

Reading some of the tweaks floating around, I see that limiting the processes running will help - such as not running any AV software.Is it possible in XP to create a new user login just for FS9? - and only have the minimal processes running? I guess you could even put a link in the start up directory. Instant FS9! What are the minimal processes needed?Any real advantage to this besides saving a few keystrokes?Beemer

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Beemer,2 ways of doing it. Create a separate hardware profile under my computer / properties. The other way s to create another user account and disable those services not needed under that account.There is a really nice article over at WWW.BlackViper.ComHe walks you through just this very thing.Bobby

Can someone explain to me why limiting the number of processes running in the background helps FS in any significant way?When I bring up Task Manager the 30+ processes (I have Norton SystemWorks installed which accounts for many) that are still 'active' on my system are showing '00' percent under the CPU column.Like many, I have disabled or set to 'manual' many processes that are not needed or are unnecessary. The remainder don't appear to be interfering while FS is running, as far as I am aware.... or am I wrong?Prior to running FS I always run EndItall which halts 10 background tasks and, in addition, I disable Norton AntiVirus Autoprotect and Norton Personal Firewall.Mike

Like was pointed out in the thread above yours, the Black Viper site coves that too! You can download registry keys (both default and modified) for this very purpose (too many un needed processes)...[h4]Best Wishes,Randy J. Smithhttp://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/196432/winglets_lg.jpg [h3] AMD XP 2200 |MUNCHKIN 512 DDR RAM |ECS[/b ][i] K7S5A MB[/i] |GF2 MX 32 MEG and still runs GOOD!|WIN XP PRO |MITSUBISHI DIAMOND PLUS 91 19"[/h3]