Sign in to follow this  
Guest FlaaklypaGranPrix

Upgrade 2007 system...hm...

Guest FlaaklypaGranPrix

Hi,I'm looking to upgrade my desktop as it doesn't seem to cut it anymore,especially when it comes to games like Empire Total War ( gotta luv it! ).It's getting kinda irritating mad.gif Yes, i've checked and theres no software jamming.I've read a lot of different stuff about this machine but people inn here seems to know their stuff so...I happy with my prosessor. But i'd grateful for some pointers on graphic card: like how much more eye candy can i expect to get out of ETW and the new one ( Shogun something like that )with maxed out memory and graphics ( preferbly without installing a beefed-up PSU ).Heard the 250GTS is good but wolut it fit without a power upgrade ( not doing that )....Any suggestions, both nvidia and ati whatever, would be very niceThank you!My current specs are:Model: Dell Dimension 9200Prosessor: Q6600 2.4GhzMotherboard: Model: 0CT017, manufactured by DellMemory: 2x1024 MB ( 333MHz ) DDR2 QuimondaGraphics: nVidia GeForce 8600 GTSPSU: 375W

If your main interest if to run FSX smooth at high graphic settings then you would be better off building or buying a new PC rather than trying to upgrade the one you have. FSX really likes quad core CPU's and high end graphics cards. For FSX the best graphics cards are Nvidia. This is not a slam at ATI, it is just fact that for most people Nvidia cards run FSX better than ATI. To run FSX at high graphic settings this is the minimum that I would recomendMB- Asus P6X58D - plenty of choices, this one is recommended by someone who's opinion I trust. I went with the R3E only because it has an ESATA port on the back I/O and this one does not. That back ESATA port was worth the extra $40 to me.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131614CPU- i7 950 - to get the most out of this you need to overclock it and this can hit 4.2GHz easy!http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115211HSF- either of these is great. I went with the TR Silver Arrow since it came with PWM fans, you will need a Y-cable to hook them both to the CPU fan header on the MB.http://www.svc.com/silverarrow.htmlhttp://www.svc.com/fc444pwm-12.html PWM Y-Cable for the Silver Arrow, on one of the Y's that the fans plug into you will need to cut the wire to pin 3. Only do this on one of the Y's that plug into the fan, NOT the MB.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608018Ram- Mushkin Redline 6GB 1600MHz @ 6-8-6-24 timingshttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226121GPU- GTX 480 - plenty of choices, this is the one I have. When I bought it this was only $10 more than an stock clock EVGA so for my $10 I got an overclocked card and a $55 aftermarket cooler.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500166Case- HAF 932http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119160PS- 850W - there are plenty of choices, I had this one and it served me well. A 750W would be just fine with a single GPU, but I like a little room with my powerhttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139009OS and Data HD- 1TB - Use a 250GB partition for C:, this would be your OS, programs, data that you want high speed access to, the remaining 750GB would be another partition for data, backup, whatever. Plenty of choices, I put in Seagate because I use them and never have had one fail in over 20 years.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148433 FSX HD- 600GB WD Velociraptor - you could go with a 300GB, but 600GB will give you plenty of room for addonshttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136555Keyboard, mouse, DVD and speakers are your choice.To lower costs you could go with a GTX 470 and get a regular HD for FSX instead of the Velociraptor, but the more substitutions that you make the less performance you will get out of FSX.If you want to run FSX at its maximum get the above and a i7 980X instead of the i7 950. Is the i7 980X worth the extra $700, that is a decision that only you can make. It depends on how much money you want to spend / are willing to spend vs what FSX settings you will settle for and how smooth you want FSX to run all the time under all conditions.You will get people telling you to use an SSD instead of the Velociraptor for FSX. The only thing the SSD is going to do is load the program faster, it will not make it run smoother. You get a lot more GB's for your money with the VR and an SSD. You will get people telling you the VR is not worth the money, just use a standard HD, again it is your decision, like I said above "the more substitutions that you make the less performance you will get out of FSX".You will get people telling you to use an SSD for the OS, I have one and yes it makes a difference, but the real difference is in loading times, once a program is running I doubt that the average person can see a difference. If you want one and want to spend the money get an SSD for your OS and get a standard HD for data and backup.

A 9800gt should blow your 8600 out of the water, and still fit in your case. Plus your PSU should still handle it.A Q6600 is OK but if you could go with a faster core duo or quad, that would be even better.However, once you start on the upgrade path, beware. It is a dark and winding road that leads to a vast and firey pit that you pour money into. There is always just one more thing that you must have to reach sim heaven...just...one... more...just... one...(sigh)...Bob (from the bottom of the pit)

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

Guest FengZ

Investing in a high-end machine is totally worth it. The entertainment value it can bring back is well above what you can spend on it.A game played a max setting is a completely different experience than running it at medium resolution and setting. I remember playing Crysis at mid level on my old machine...and thought it was cool. But now, running on Enthusiast at 90fps...it's like a whole new game!I also play Empire Total War (as well as Napoleon and Kingdoms). On my machine, i can run it all at max settings, and the FPS will shoot through to the 120+fps (4AA/16X 2560x1600)...and butter smooth. The CPU/GPU doesn't even put in an effort for FSX (runs it at butter smooth 60fps no matter how much weather, AI, etc. you have). I'm not typing this to show off....it's really about the quality of entertainment and what you're looking for. For me, I love video games. And low/choppy fps is unacceptable; it ruins the experience and gives me physical headaches. Granted you need to put in a major investment upfront, but trust me, it's all worth it. It's also about time saving. I used to tweak, tweak and tweak some more just to get a good balance between fps and cool visuals. Now days, i just slide everything to max and enjoy. For FSX, CPU is the major bottleneck (i960 or i980 will be plenty). SLI/Crossfire doesn't seem to effect FPS much...but get at least a GTX 280 or try the GTX 480. -feng

Well, of course an icore is the only way to go for FS. But not everyone has the cubic dollars to make that happen. The OP asked about a gpu that fits his system. I have run FSX with an e6750 and an 8800gt with no tweaks at high settings. Granted, no add ons. Bob

Bob

I really doubt that he will see any realy improvement with a new graphics card, his ram is only 333MHz and his processor is only 2.4GHz. It reminds me of an HP dual core I bought the end of 2006. In 2007 I went from 2GB to 4GB of ram, went from a decent ATI GPU to a 8800GTX, added a separate 7200 RPM Seagate for FSX and that PC was still a dog. The upgrade path on that PC was a total waste of money!

And my experience has been different. Your upgrade may or may not have been a waste of money. Those were all improvements that show minimal yield at best. From 2 to 4 gbs of ram, slight upgrade in gpu, FS on a separate drive, are not big differences. I have tried all those things. The OP's 8600 is not at all good enough for any FS. A 9800 is a good card for his system and FS. I have seen the difference between these cards. I think it's worth a shot. Especially as he upgrades the rest of his components. But there are no guaranties. Everyone's rig and experiences ar different.Bob

Bob

Slight upgrade in GPU, in 2007 the 8800GTX was the best Nvidia card on the market!
Sorry, I don't mean to ruffle your feathers. You said you had a decent ati card. I don't know what that means, so I had to guess. You posted a fine upgrade tutorial which, while accurate, was not what the OP wanted, I think. My post was at least within reach. Would the OP see improvement from a 8800? I think so, but no one can say for sure.Please forgive me if I stepped on your toes. Bob

Bob

No problem Bobbyjack and I did answer his question, just not with the answer he was looking for. I said in my original post that I did not think upgrading his current system was worth the money. I personally just do not see that a new GPU is going to do much for him since his ram is only running at 333MHz and his CPU is dual core @ 2.4GHz, so rather than recommend a better GPU I just stated that I did not think the upgrade path was going to be worth the money! Anyway we are all here to help and the OP is going to have to decide which route is the best way for him to go. Like you said, not everyone has the money to buy parts to build a new PC or have one built. I just hate to see people go spend $300 or more thinking that FSX is going to run a lot better and it does not.