Sign in to follow this  
neil0311

Been gone for 3 years...need a new sim rig

I'm sure this one has been done a few times, but with the changes in technology happening quickly, I wanted to do it again. I've been out of simming for 3 years and decided I miss it and want to get back in. My plan is to buy a new system from one of the major system builders like Dell/Alienware or Velocity Micro (not interested in building myself), and want to get some opinions on the best CPU, GPU, amount of RAM, OS, etc., to get with a state of the art system. Assume that cost is not a concern (within reason), and that I want to get something that will run FSX and FS9 completely loaded with every eye candy add-on made. I'm assuming Windows 7 x64, but if there is a reasonable argument otherwise, I'm open to listening (with emphasis on reasonable argument).Any experience with specific system or brands is welcome, and looking forward to your opinions. Thanks everyone.

Ok then get all the best.Intel i7-980X CPU, Nvidia GTX 480, 6GB DDR3 RAM mushkin redline or corsair dominator preferably, SSD drive, 1000W PSU look for a system with comontents like this. You might use this link, I got off alienware's website. http://configure.us....19&kc=9&X=9&Y=6 Here's what I can up with for you. http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&l=en&oc=dpdodz1&cs=19&kc=9&X=9&Y=6It would cost about 4000$ Which is a huge price. Mostly because the CPU is worth 1000$ on it's own, if you wanna save a lot of money, when you customize, pick the i7-950 or -930. they cost about 300$

Hi Neil,Welcome back! A lot has changed for the better since you have been gone. As luckyman says, go for the best then, which does include the 980x and a 480 GTX. However, you might not wish to buy from Dell or Gateway or any such company like that for many reasons, one of which is their restrictions on overclocks.Kind regards,

Thanks guys. Any feelings on using on board 7.1 sound, rather than a SB card? Years ago the worry was CPU time. Also, any thought on AMD/ATI vs nVidia?

FS tends to play nicer with nVidia than ATI. With the right tweaks, ATI can be made to work well, but out of the box nVidia will give you better results than ATI. Right now the best bang for the buck options seem to be the GTX 460 and possibly the GTS 450, although the latter is brand new and I don't really know much about it.I wish I could help with your sound card question, but I have little experience as onboard sound and two speakers is good enough for me, haha.

Hi again,If you wish to have experts build your system for you and have it running the very best possible for MSFS, this company is the cream of the crop. Their advice and knowledge is gold.BEST FSX COMPUTER COMPANYKind regards,

Hi again,If you wish to have experts build your system for you and have it running the very best possible for MSFS, this company is the cream of the crop. Their advice and knowledge is gold.BEST FSX COMPUTER COMPANYKind regards,
Yeah even that system is so expensive. The one with the -980X and GTX480 is around 4000$My rig only cost 1200$, It pays to make to custom build.