So I purchased new comontents recently and when I hooked up the system everything was fine. Until a week later I boot up and it's telling me 4000MB of RAM when I have 6GB, then over the next month it was switching in between 4Gb and 6GB at each bootup (on POST)Now only 2GB is showing up!! What's going on?

So I purchased new comontents recently and when I hooked up the system everything was fine. Until a week later I boot up and it's telling me 4000MB of RAM when I have 6GB, then over the next month it was switching in between 4Gb and 6GB at each bootup (on POST)Now only 2GB is showing up!! What's going on?
That is indeed odd.Have you tried booting with each stick individually? Test to see if one is bad?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Yes I have and i've deduced that one of the memory slot likes to stop working 3 times out of 4!

Ok so now I followed some advice from another forum and fixed some voltages, and took out then re-installed the each RAM stick. Now 4GB show up out of 6GBThis is really disapointing because I payed for 6GB and it's not working. Oh yeah and I checked the CPU pins on the board and one looks a little weird but can this affect the RAM because when it went from 2GB to 4GB I didn't touch the CPU/cooler at all...

Does it happen without overclock too?

Well, I had something like that happen to me some time ago. One of the slots struggled to detect the RAM stick but applying some pressure on it sorted that out. Did you make sure there's no dust or anything in the slot that may cause the problem? what if you use #2 slot for each channel? if it's a faulty slot and you can't RMA your board, using the other slots should not be a problem

Well, I had something like that happen to me some time ago. One of the slots struggled to detect the RAM stick but applying some pressure on it sorted that out. Did you make sure there's no dust or anything in the slot that may cause the problem? what if you use #2 slot for each channel? if it's a faulty slot and you can't RMA your board, using the other slots should not be a problem
Well there's no dust. I'll try applying some pressure. But the thing is it's an Asus board. So I have to run orange orange orange. Could I put them in the black?

yes you can, not a problem for what I know. I'll search the web to make sure, but I bet you'll be fine. Won't hurt to try anyway :)

Well there's no dust. I'll try applying some pressure. But the thing is it's an Asus board. So I have to run orange orange orange. Could I put them in the black?

I've heard of the 4 usable GB problem before but never really dug into it. You may want to check the forums on your motherboard manufacturer's website and see if others have had the same problem.It's a shot in the dark, but I've also heard of instances in which RAM slots act weird because the CPU cooler's mounting bracket was screwed on too tightly. Unless it was a problem before you put the cooler in, try loosening each of the screws about one turn and see if it helps.

I had same problem with ASUS P6X58D-E mobo and OCZ Gold 1600 DDR3 6Gig RAM.RMA'ed the RAM for Corsair 1333@7-7-7-20 and reads 6gig each time.My mobo appears to have a lot of probs with certain brands of RAM according to a lot of the forums I read.Maybe you should just swap for new brand?

Guest veeray

Let me guess you completely ignored the manufacturers QVL... ? :) Try moving the sticks around they may settle in that way.

Let me guess you completely ignored the manufacturers QVL... ? :) Try moving the sticks around they may settle in that way.
Me?The RAM I had originally was on the QVL list. It didnt work. I am not alone.I tried reseating fan/cpu/ram etc Changed RAM timings/voltages as per various forums I read. Nothing worked except the advice to change Manufacturer.The RAM I now have works fine. Enabled XMB and it set the speed/timings automatically. Superb!

Guest chris493

If it's on the motherboards QVL, I don't see how there would be issues with WHAT ram you are using. Maybe it's the actual RAM that is faulty.