Sign in to follow this  
juvat

OpenFX- A freeware 3d modeling tool

Stumbled across OpenFX. Its an open-source 3d modeling tool.http://www.openfx.org/index.htmljimb

dual boot: win8.1pro64bit (primary) | win10pro64bit  | mobo: MSI Prestige x570 Creation | cpu and cooler:  AMD 5950X; Noctua NH-U12A | ram: 4each 8gb sticks of ddr4-3200 CORSAIR Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2Z3200C16 | gpu:  nvidia RTX2070Super Founders Edition| lcd: LG 24" 4k, LG 24UD58-B

Stumbled across OpenFX. Its an open-source 3d modeling tool.http://www.openfx.org/index.htmljimb
Did you also note that the file is dated 2007 - and that the support forum is no longer in existance?It may be a fine utility but with no support available, that raises a red flag for me.

No, I didn't notice the date.It seems like a nifty modeling tool though. Looked like a lot of folks put lots of their time in it.jimb

dual boot: win8.1pro64bit (primary) | win10pro64bit  | mobo: MSI Prestige x570 Creation | cpu and cooler:  AMD 5950X; Noctua NH-U12A | ram: 4each 8gb sticks of ddr4-3200 CORSAIR Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2Z3200C16 | gpu:  nvidia RTX2070Super Founders Edition| lcd: LG 24" 4k, LG 24UD58-B

Guest glidernut

Hi Jim, and Opa,Well spoted Jim, I hav never herd of this program bifor ither.Personaly, for modeling only, I am hapy with other modeling programs.But I am allwais looking out for a simpul rendering program.A rendering program that I can undertand, and actualy use.At first I was very exited about this program, espeshialy when I realized that it willimport and export 3Ds, and looks at first glance to be an easy program to work with.But so far, useing this program for rendering, I hav been unabl to render a simpl box with a simpl 256 x 256 pictuer.This program is to complicated for me, its all about rendering animations, not a singl object.I douwnloded an aditional tutorial from that sight, but there is no read me with it,and I dont know how to run it, and Im not shoower I would understand it eeven if I could see it.O, deer, the date, I had not notest the date, thats a reeal bumer!Hav you or anyone els managed to render a model useing this program?If not, then I think I will be uninstalling this program.O, well, thanks for the link, it was werth a try, it might well hav been of use.glidernut.

Yep,I guess this is a bust. I was able to render a cube with brick2.tfx but couldn't get it to render preview. Will fiddle with it a bit more;. Doesn't seem as friendly to use as others like Sketchup, Anim8or or Wings3D.There is a newer one dated Nov 2009; but it to I haven't been successful.http://www.ee.qub.ac.uk/graphics/openfx/index.htmjimb

How about Blender? It's free and supported. I use AC3D myself (currently for an X-Plane project) but lots of developers prefer Blender once they get the hang of it.

Yes Blender is very nice. I remember there being a beginners tutorial on setting it up for 3 window view. It became much more user friendly following the fellas instructions.Another freeware 3d modeling program that might be worth someones time for exploration is Art of Illusion. It can export Wavefront Object .obj.http://www.artofillusion.org/For graphics, Inkscape sems to be a nifty freeware program someone might find useful.http://inkscape.org/Of all the 3d modeling and graphics programs though that I've fiddled with, I always seem to return to Sketchup for basic modeling, and Paint Shop Pro for texturing.jimb

Even though AC3D isn't free it's fairly affordable and it does the job in a quite intuitive fashion. But then, free is always preferable. Just a few points to highlight what makes the modeling easier for clueless people as I--you should be able to view your model from three positions at the same time. A fourth window showing a 3D view that can be rotated really helps.I've also found that it may be easier to start with a (set of) basic structures and then modify, slice or combine to reach what you want. For instance, if you need a bump you may sink a sphere into a surface, merge the objects and delete all hidden vertices / surfaces. A bevelled edge may be accomplished by slicing the object, discard the straight angled corner and define another surface to cover the hole. If you need more "handles" you may add vertices between the once you have--if you need a lower polygon count you may reduce the number of vertices globally.Then there's export capability. 3ds seems to be a commonly supported standard that can be used as an intermediary conversion format. Texturing may be lost through conversions though. I recently found that complicated models can be textured by applying different texture areas to subunits of the finished model. To accomplish this the parts must stay as separate, joined models (rather than being merged/welded) until each part has been textured. However, for the finished model they can be merged after the texturing is done provided each subunit draws texture from the same image.

I agree, AC3D is a very nice modeling program. I've topped out my free upgrades at v6.1 or v6.2. I ever get my financial situation straightened out i intend to purchase the latest version of AC3D, amongst other things. I remember that someone had done a very nice step-by-step tutorial for modeling an aircraft. I think it was that long ago tutorial that hooked me to go ahead and purchase AC3D. Its an old tutorial now, but I imagine its still out on the web somewhere.jimb