Sign in to follow this  
Guest KenG

Chewing on the future of Large Sites

Exactly. At best the system will include a "free software package worth XXXXX" where everyone thinks the cost of XXXXX is way overrated when in fact it is quite a bit less than you would pay if you bought it all separate (but then, you wouldn't buy most of the stuff if it weren't included anyway).It doesn't say that you're paying for it through overcharging on the hardware of course.

I am really getting tired of this crap...Once again, you knocked me outta my chair in hysterics. :-lolThanks Scott.

Guest Lizardo

(no objections here, haha; just email me your credit card #)

Guest Scott Campbell

;-)I just don't take things so seriously anymore - was kinda bad for me.Have a Southern Comfort on me!

Why do I get the distinct feeling that the "swingers" part would keep me busy around here even more than I am now? Hmmm....on second thought, my question could be taken a couple different ways. :-)

Guest KenG

So what you are saying, Tom, is that AVSIM is about to become a paid membership only site? ;-) ;-) and one more just to make sure you get it ;-)Seriously, it IS human nature to be taken aback when asked to pay for something that was previously provided free of charge. If AVSIM or FS.com were to go pay-only WITHOUT adding content or services, people would freak. The main reason, as I see it, is that people really don't understand that things have changed. They don't see the day-to-day stats nor do they understand the cost of bandwidth even when you provide links. They don't see you guys fretting about how to pay the bills. For most people, it is all status quo. Asking for money without seeing something that they couldn't get before for free would be an outrage to many. Even if you explained in simple terms to most people why it had to be, explained how the advertising revenues had shrunk while bandwidth charges had skyrocketed, explained that times had changed and money was short, how changing to a subscription service was the only way to be able to give them ANYTHING, many people would still not understand. It is not their problem that times had changed. You should keep giving them what they have come to expect...FOR FREE. It IS human nature, sad as that may be.Having said all that, the core simmers - those who come here almost everyday and truly consider flight simming a hobby, not a passing diversion - would understand and pay up. So while the community may shrink, those who have given more than they've taken will stick around. They'll understand.At least that's my take on it. And I'd like to thank you and Nels for enriching this hobby far beyond anything Microsoft could have ever imagined. Cheers!