Sign in to follow this  
Seank23

My Tileproxy Problems

I got Tileproxy yesterday but when I started to fly my textures were all fuzzy and it doesn't look like the video that inspired me to get it. It takes a long time to load some textures and theres loads of black tiles and some strange glitchy lines going down some textures.My computer specs are:AMD Ahlon II X2 245 Dual Core Processor 2900 Mhz, 2GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate,Nivida Geforce 8200.I'm getting around 50 to 100kB download speed (I know its not very good), and have default Tileproxy Installer settings.Thanks.

I forgot to add that when I load a flight with Tileproxy on it takes a long time to load (5 to 15 minutes) is this normal.

..textures were all fuzzy..loads of black tiles and some strange glitchy lines..to load (5 to 15 minutes)
I've a 2-core at 3GHz and get moderately good performance (on XP) so your hardware is not a serious limitation.The 2G of memory can be a limitation but flying with a normal range (med/large) vs the manual settings of 5.5 or 6.5 should be okYou'll use more pagefile space but it's a trade off.Black tiles are not unknown in FS9 and you didn't say if you are flying FS9 or FSX.One serious (but avoidable) issue is having the .ini settings too highFSX default:min_level=9max_level=19map_version=xxxlevel_mapping=9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19level mapping is optional - I'd recommend not using any until all other issues are resolved.FSX can't use the level 9 entries directly; only 10 and up are actually displayable somin_level=10max_level=19map_version=xxxlevel_mapping=10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19is the same as not using it at all...*** LOD values are 2 units less than the equivalent LEVEL values.max_lod=13 limits the scenery being made to level 15. This is the FS9 max so there is no gain from trying to use higher resolution.The max_lod=15 (level 17 or 1.1m per pixel) is the most practical for FSX - and even here, most of the world does NOT have imagery available at this resolution.TileProxy WILL make bulky "simulated" 1m scenery out of 5m imagery if that is all that is available; this WILL place unnecessary load on our modest systems. It's important to know the actual highest resolution available at your flying location and not exceed that with TP settings.The max_lod at the top of the ini is the control and the only thing that really needs adjusting after you get things otherwise set up.cache_bytes_limit=100000000cache_tiles_limit=100000Even when I only had 2G of RAM, I thought these were too low. I raised tocache_bytes_limit=750000000 750M vs 100Mcache_tiles_limit=150000 150K vs 100KAt least on my 2-core, FSX preparation (processing and display) were always behind what TP could have ready but having the scenery and caches on separate HDD's and defragged often helped a bit.Fuzzy can be due to processing time requirements, scenery access time or even in the created scenery tiles themselves - hard to know without some screenshots. And at what airspeed? Except with the high end systems, 75 to 150kts is the normal range of 'normal' performance.Fuzzy? does it sharpen up if you wait a while - slow updating - or does it stay fuzzy?The in-sim imagery is not quite as sharp as the source jpgs but all of it looks 'fuzzy/unsharp' if you get too low.1000' for 1m resolution is about as low as you can go and 1500' should be pretty good; 3000' altitude is needed for 2m resolution - depending on your expectations, of course.I've had 5-7 min load times in the past, so it's not unheard of but it does suggest that the scenery you are trying to load is either too wide an area or too detailed for your system ( or files are too widely scattered for quick loading - defrag!)I'm spending more time now in W7 (no TP installed in this OS) than in XP so I can't say how it will behave when I do finally install in W7 but I'm not expecting it to be signifcantly different. Many run it on W7 just fine.Hope this helps.Loydafterthought: if you provide the lat/lon of the screenie and the service, I can go to the same location and see what I get - for comparison. Edited by lliaudais

Hi, I am running on FSX and normaly fly around the UK and Ireland (typically Glasgow and Dublin) therefore I use service 1 (Bing Maps) because it has better coverage of those areas. At the moment I'm running FSX and timeing it with the new configerations you gave me but its still the same and it took about 14 mins to load, the fuzzy textures don't go away. I won't be able to put images up yet but I should be able to later or tomorrow. Thanks.

Here's the pics:Here's an example of the fuzzy textures:This pic has a tile that hasn't loaded, I paused it for 20 mins and it still never loaded:Here's another example of the fuzzy textures:And here's an example of the black tiles and strange glitchy lines:Hopefully someone can help me out its really annoying :(.

I've just found another problem, when I fly without Tileproxy the fuzzy textures are still there. I even had to untick all the 'WORLD_' folders and tick empty cache folder on exit in the scenery library but it still didn't go away. The only way it would go away was if I uninstalled Tileproxy and deleted the Tileproxy World Scenery folder and the Tileproxy folder but this would take to much time and shouldn't be necessary.

I've just found another problem, when I fly without Tileproxy the fuzzy textures are still there.it would go away was if I uninstalled Tileproxy ,,, but this would take to much time and shouldn't be necessary.
It isn't necessary; I would assume that Tileproxy is not installed correctly or not layered properly in the scenery.cfg.Your final image of 'corrupted' top down view is typical of FSX not finding sufficient photo tiles to display the selected range so it tries to 'fill in' with whatever imagery(garbage) it can find. This seems to be associated with the other pic where a nearby tile never loaded.The area is not particularly attractive but there's certainly enough imagery to display properly -- I had no issues with generating 2m or 1m imagery in one of the 'natural color' areas toward the south side.2m resolution1m resolutionTileproxy at lod_max 14(2m) & 15(1m)FSX res at 1m, lod radius medium (3.5)zoom level 100% altitude approx 2000' - 2300'Loyd

I reinstalled it and flew around London, It was even worse. Firsty it took 20 minutes to load, secondly the textures in London were even worse than Glasgow.These are the pics I took:This is the city of London: (The custom scenery objects are good though).This is the top down view:This is looking back at the airport:

I reinstalled it and flew around London, It was even worse. Firsty it took 20 minutes to load, secondly the textures in London were even worse than Glasgow.
The areas you've mentioned so far are not "problem" areas.I guess it's time to post your .ini file - you don't have to show all the #comment_lines, of course.Where is your TileProxy program folder and Tileproxy world scenery folder?What does the Tileproxy dos console window look like when you are ready to fly? Might be helpful.Loyd

My Tileproxy folder is located in: C:/Program Files/Microsoft Games/Microsoft Flight Simulator X/and my Tileproxy World Scenery folder is located in: C:/Program Files/Microsoft Games/.For the ini. file I downloaded the pre-configured one at http://edtruthan.com...proxy/tutorial/ and all I changed was service 3 to service 1, min_level=9max_level=19map_version=330level_mapping=9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19tomin_level=10max_level=19map_version=330level_mapping=10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,cache_bytes_limit=100000000cache_tiles_limit=100000tocache_bytes_limit=750000000cache_tiles_limit=150000.I've uninstalled tileproxy at the moment (because I'm doing a flight without tileproxy now) so I won't be able to tell you what the dos sceen looks like.Hope this helps.