Hi Jim,I went ahead and started a new thread for the topic regarding rain/snow on one part of an airport, but not on the other. Here'a a refresher from the old thread.

However there is still an outstanding issue which I mentioned to you a few weeks in another post about a problem I was having with getting a good solid overcast, which I was able to remedy somewhat by adding more than one cloud layer. The problem is that some aiports still seem to have holes in coverage. For example tonight when I tested Smooth Cloud Transitions I flew the same route I did yesterday when I tested Standard mode which was a short flight from KJFK to KBOS. When I landed at KBOS it was snowing in some parts of the airport but not at others.Here is a screen shot of me taxing past one runway where it is snowing, then after I pass the runway the snow stops. Then in these two pictures I was going the other direction and had no snow, then after passing a point on the taxiway I suddenly had snow again. I have experienced similar things like this at numerous airports where I would think that the conditions should remain the same for the whole aiport. For example like in the pics, if its snowing at KBOS then it should be snowing at the whole airport, not just certain parts of it. I taxied around the whole airport (KBOS) and found that in some other areas it would be snowing, but then in others spots on the airport grounds it would still be cloudy but no snow.
Then you asked: "Does the weather station change in ASE when this happens?"To which I replied: "I'm not sure what you mean by does the weather station change? You talking about when I am on one side of the runway and its clear does ASE show that the station is showing no precip/snow, then when I am on the other side of the runway and its snowing then ASE is then reporting snow? If that it was you mean, then I will have to try and recreate it and check. If that isn't what you mean then you will have to explain exactly what the change is and I will reply with an answer."So as it stands I am still wainting for clarification on what you meant by the weather station changing. The last time it happened I honestly can't remember if I checked to see what the station said in ASE which is running on my other computer to see if it changed when it was snowing and then said something else when I taxied father and quit snowing. If that is what your asking I will have to wait until it does it again and I will check.Ok, I think this is my last question for while and I just want to get clarification. I have been using Smooth Clouds which I am pretty happy with since it seems like the destination winds and weather seem to be correct when I arrive. However, the only little thing left that I need to get rid of is the violent wind shifts. Now I have looked in the ASE PDF from the last update and it addresses FSUIPC settings but it seems to mention them when being used with DWC which I dont use because I understand that the desintaion depiction may not always be what ASE says it is, and as it stands now I dont have any problem with S-turns.What I want to do is go ahead and finally after all these years buy a licensed copy of FSUIPC basically to get rid of the sudden and sometimes violent wind shifts but I need to confirm that it will still work when using Smooth Clouds. Here's what I have done so far.1. Changed the TurbulenceScale in the fsx.cfg to .5000002. Reduced the Maximum Wind Turbulence slider in ASE to 10% and Minimum at 0%Now if I get FSUIPC do I just need to click or turn on the Wind Smoothing feature to tame the sudden changes? And do I need to also click to surpress turbulence, gusts, and variance? I dont mind some turbulence, but the sudden changes in direction and speed of the wind sometimes causes my PMDG 747 to either overspeed or stall.Thanks in advance for the help.Sean

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Hi Sean,1. Yes, I do mean that as you move around that airport does the weather station/conditions change in ASE?Also, is this a default scenery airport or add-on airport?2. Just use the Wind Smoothing in FSUIPC.

Hi Sean,1. Yes, I do mean that as you move around that airport does the weather station/conditions change in ASE?Also, is this a default scenery airport or add-on airport?2. Just use the Wind Smoothing in FSUIPC.
HI Jim,1. The last time if happened which is the time in the screen shots, it was at a payware airport specifically FlyTampa's KBOS. The other time I have had similar things happen were at FSDreamteams KFLL and KDFW where the visibility changed depending on where I was taxing at the airport.It is possible that an addon airport can somehow alter weather depiction? If so please explain so that I can pass it onto the developers of the said products and maybe they could make a patch for it.2. Ok, I bought FSUIPC last night and used these settings below.I did a test flight using the historical weather from Sun when there was the bad snow storm in Chicago which was 12/12/2010 21:00 GMT. First I did the flight with the above weather and the PMDG 747 from KATL to KORD without FSUIPC running and ASE in Smooth Clouds. Weather depiction was good at the departure aiport, in flight and arrival, but I got the usual wind shifts that would sometimes play havoc with the PMDG a/c.Then I installed FSUIPC with the settings I posted in the screen shots of and reloaded the same historical weather, plane and flight plan and completed the flight. Once again the departure airport and arrival aiport depiction was good, but along the way it seemed like the clouds weren't as thick and as plentiful along the way as the first flight without FSUIPC. However, the wind shifts were completely gone and the PMDG plane performed much better.So the question I have is, can FSUIPC with the settings I posted have anything to do the ASE's cloud depiction? Or did maybe I get a bad ASE load on the second flight. The reason I ask is mainly just because the clouds seemed a lot better without FSUIPC enroute which was according to ASE pretty cloudy the whole way.Thanks,Sean

Hi,No, airports can't change the weather. Check and see if ASE is changing locations.No, those settings are not going to change the clouds.

Hi,No, airports can't change the weather. Check and see if ASE is changing locations.No, those settings are not going to change the clouds.
Thanks Jim. Maybe on point number two I just got a bad load, or when you load the same metar on different flight it just depicts slightly different each time.The next time I have the issue of the precip change at the same aiport I will take note of what the station does and report back. Fortunately it doesn;t happen very often so I will have to wait since I cant seem to easliy recreate it.