Sign in to follow this  
Bob Scott

Anyone still having issues with autobrakes?

There were a couple people reporting problems with the autobraking system soon after release. I haven't gotten any more reports or details, and it's the last potential V1.30 bug on my current punch list for a v1.31 update.If you are having trouble with autobrakes, please post here, in detail, what the indications are, what version of the sim you're using (FS9 or FSX) and more importantly, how you are set up to actuate brakes in the sim--i.e. FS-assigned key, FS-assigned joystick button, FSUIPC-assigned joystick button, pedal assigned as an axis in FS, etc. I have not been able to reproduce a problem on three machines and a combination of WinXP, Vista64, FS9, and FSX+Accel.RegardsBob ScottColonel, USAF (ret)ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VColorado Springs, CO

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Bob, I notice for me, the autobrake light does not go off when I select anything but RTO or off. Nothing I did would get that sucker off. I use a CH yoke & rudder pedals for my controls if that matters. Also, the PDCS does not seem to work or change anything after you are in takeoff mode. Trying to select climb or any other mode, no lights & no change to EPR bugs. It works great for takeoff & it worked in TO, climb, cruise & GA mode in 1.26. BTW, this is FS2004 on WinXP Home SP3.Pat CallaghanPS Merry Christmas

Pat Callaghan
AMD FX-8350 4.0ghz. Asus M5A97 MB
16gig Crucial DDR3 ram, Radeon HD-7970 Video
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit

Bob, I notice for me, the autobrake light does not go off when I select anything but RTO or off. Nothing I did would get that sucker off. I use a CH yoke & rudder pedals for my controls if that matters. Also, the PDCS does not seem to work or change anything after you are in takeoff mode. Trying to select climb or any other mode, no lights & no change to EPR bugs. It works great for takeoff & it worked in TO, climb, cruise & GA mode in 1.26. BTW, this is FS2004 on WinXP Home SP3.Pat CallaghanPS Merry Christmas
OK, so if you look in the FS9 Options -> Controls -> Assignments dialog, the CH rudder pedals are assigned to the brake axes, correct? Make sure that your brake pedals have a fairly large dead zone (so that they're not inadvertently actuated when applying rudder inputs) and are not sending a nonzero input to the sim. The autobrake logic looks for manual brake input and deactivates the system when a manual input is detected. I suspect your brake axes are either out of calibration or noisy and spiking enough to send a non-zero value to the sim.On the PDCS, make sure you are not in Go Around mode (green GA mode light on APD). When GA mode is engaged, the PDCS auto-selects and engages the go around page, and it can't be changed until you toggle GA mode back off. If you're seeing the "Limit" page with VRef data on the PDCS, that's the GA page. Note also that it's "Go Around" mode, not "Take Off/Go Around - TOGA" mode. If you're engaging GA mode for takeoff it would cause this.Merry ChristmasBob ScottColonel, USAF (ret)ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VColorado Springs, CO

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Bob, Well you were right about the PDCS. I had pressed GA when I took off. Habit I guess. When I pressed it again the PDCS workd fine. As far as the brakes go, I disconnected the rudder pedals & removed them from FSUIPC. Still the brake light would not go out.Pat

OK, so if you look in the FS9 Options -> Controls -> Assignments dialog, the CH rudder pedals are assigned to the brake axes, correct? Make sure that your brake pedals have a fairly large dead zone (so that they're not inadvertently actuated when applying rudder inputs) and are not sending a nonzero input to the sim. The autobrake logic looks for manual brake input and deactivates the system when a manual input is detected. I suspect your brake axes are either out of calibration or noisy and spiking enough to send a non-zero value to the sim.On the PDCS, make sure you are not in Go Around mode (green GA mode light on APD). When GA mode is engaged, the PDCS auto-selects and engages the go around page, and it can't be changed until you toggle GA mode back off. If you're seeing the "Limit" page with VRef data on the PDCS, that's the GA page. Note also that it's "Go Around" mode, not "Take Off/Go Around - TOGA" mode. If you're engaging GA mode for takeoff it would cause this.Merry ChristmasBob ScottColonel, USAF (ret)ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VColorado Springs, CO

Pat Callaghan
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit

Col Scott,What I have noticed is that RTO works fine on the ground. The amber warning lights and then goes out. Selecting anything else results in the light coming on and not extinguishing automatically. But, that is while on the ground preparing for takeoff. Once in the air I can select any setting MIN/MED/MAX and the light comes on momentarily and then extinguishes, which makes sense to me being a non-pilot. Why would MIN/MED/MAX work on takeoff when RTO is the proper setting? Once in the air it works. Brakes are automatically applied upon landing.Maybe the "bug" is not really a "bug".

OK. I re- tried the auto brake actually flying. As Ramjett53 said, the plane needs to be in the air for those modes to work. I re-installed my rudder pedals & re-calibrated them & all works fine now. Must have been out of calibration. Thanks for the help.Pat

Pat Callaghan
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit

OK. I re- tried the auto brake actually flying. As Ramjett53 said, the plane needs to be in the air for those modes to work. I re-installed my rudder pedals & re-calibrated them & all works fine now. Must have been out of calibration. Thanks for the help.Pat
OK, great...I hadn't thought to ask whether you were in the air. The autobrakes can't be armed in a landing mode until it's in the air--that's how she's intended to work. CheersBob ScottColonel, USAF (ret)ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VColorado Springs, CO

Bob, I have thoroughly diagnosed the issue throughout my flights from KLAX to Uganda and back (to Houston), 12 flights in all.The auto-brakes work perfectly. The only time they give an "odd" indication is when on the ground and preparing for flight. If the switch is cycled to RTO, the INOP light briefly illuminates and extinguishes as it should. If any of the other three modes (except OFF) are selected while on the ground prior to departure, the INOP light illuminates and does not extinguish. If in flight and any of these 3 modes are selected, the INOP light briefly illuminates and is extinguished.Application of the autobrakes is unaffected and fully functional.

Bob, I have thoroughly diagnosed the issue throughout my flights from KLAX to Uganda and back (to Houston), 12 flights in all.The auto-brakes work perfectly. The only time they give an "odd" indication is when on the ground and preparing for flight. If the switch is cycled to RTO, the INOP light briefly illuminates and extinguishes as it should. If any of the other three modes (except OFF) are selected while on the ground prior to departure, the INOP light illuminates and does not extinguish. If in flight and any of these 3 modes are selected, the INOP light briefly illuminates and is extinguished.Application of the autobrakes is unaffected and fully functional.
Actually, that's all how it's supposed to work. The landing modes can't be engaged on the ground, and you get the INOP light to show that the autobrakes are not operative as set. The brief cycling of the INOP light when the autobrake setting is changed is the system doing its self-check of the antiskid valves and wheel speed sensors. The jet does the same thing. CheersBob ScottColonel, USAF (ret)ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VColorado Springs, CO

Ah ha! I haven't had the opportunity to flight test that on the real bird, as the ships I had the opportunity with had the autobrakes deactivated.Thanks Bob!