Sign in to follow this  
krishcanag

Upgrade, will it make a difference

Hi I am thinking of upgrading my PC,my present system is;GA-EP45-DS4 rev. 1.0E8500 @ 4.1GHzAZalman CNPS10X Extreme4GB Corsair 1066MHz - 8500 2.1 DDR2 2.1(4x 1GB stricks - 2 independent pairs)XFX 898MB 260GTXCorsair HX620 Raptor diskVista 64-bitI want to change to;Asus P6X58D-E X58Corsair 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz Dominator Memory Kit CL8 (8-8-8-24) 1.65VIntel Core i7 950 3.06GHz Socket 1366 8MBNoctua NH-U12P SE2 Corsair HX850WI might change my graphics card later, but will this pairing with CPU overclocked to 4G make a difference that would be really noticable?regardskrishan

HI KrishanI don't have one myself, still on an o/c E8400 @ 3.7, but from what i've heard there should be a significant increase when using the I7-950. An I7 @ 4ghz is supposed to be great for running FSX, if thats what the upgrade is for.I'm not sure if the 260 will hinder you when you o/c your chip or not, but you may want to upgrade your graphics card like you mentioned.RegardsMichael

HiYes its for FSX only, and really its becuase with add-ons like traffic X which hits my FPS I think I may see a real difference, and yes maybe a bit later will also upgrade my graphics card as well.The one thing that as always bothered me is that FSX is single threaded and even though there are other applications like traffic X running, will it make a difference, if FSX was multi-threaded there is no question it will, but in this case I am/was concerned I am throwing money down the pan.

HiYes its for FSX only, and really its becuase with add-ons like traffic X which hits my FPS I think I may see a real difference, and yes maybe a bit later will also upgrade my graphics card as well.The one thing that as always bothered me is that FSX is single threaded and even though there are other applications like traffic X running, will it make a difference, if FSX was multi-threaded there is no question it will, but in this case I am/was concerned I am throwing money down the pan.
If you do it, please post your findings!I'm from Missouri on the benefits of a 4 GHz i7 vs a 4 GHz Core2 processor.But, would love to hear from someone who has actually done it!

Bert

The way I understand it, and I may be completely wrong, is that FSX is indeed a single threaded application, at least originally, and needs one core to run really fast to be effective. Since SP1 or SP2, I can't remember, it has had some multi-threaded ability, but really only in the scheduling of scenery and other items, not the main part of the program.So basically the more cores you have should make scenery loading etc better, meaning it'll run smoother, at least from what comments i've read, but you also need a fast cpu, near, or above, 4ghz to get the best from it with demanding add-ons.I'm not sure about this but the I7 is supposed to have a good memory controller which may give an added performance increase, though I may be talking out of my hat as i can't verify it, the increase that is not the controller.Michael

Guest simmer9304
I am thinking of upgrading my PC,my present system is;GA-EP45-DS4 rev. 1.0E8500 @ 4.1GHzAZalman CNPS10X Extreme4GB Corsair 1066MHz - 8500 2.1 DDR2 2.1(4x 1GB stricks - 2 independent pairs)XFX 898MB 260GTXCorsair HX620 Raptor diskVista 64-bitI want to change to;Asus P6X58D-E X58Corsair 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz Dominator Memory Kit CL8 (8-8-8-24) 1.65VIntel Core i7 950 3.06GHz Socket 1366 8MBNoctua NH-U12P SE2 Corsair HX850WI might change my graphics card later, but will this pairing with CPU overclocked to 4G make a difference that would be really noticable?
Yeah you should see a performance boost that's what I've heard from most everybody who switches from C2D to i7. The chip architecture alone gives you a bit of a boostand if you OC it to 4ghz then you'll have two extra cores for scenery loading so it should take away some of the stutters and jerks. The GPU will be your remaining bottleneck, the i7 really needs a Fermi card to unleash it's true capability. But from what you have here you'll see an increase in performance

HiOk, that's looks pretty clear then there should be a noticable difference, and if I change by graphics card as well.Just for the record can you tell me how you have loaded your FSX, is it in the defasult directory or somewhere else.I just tried loading vista 64 on my main disk and put FSX and add-ons on my Velocity Raptor disk, no real difference, some were syaing they think that would be better, so before I buy the new stuff, want to iron out what is the best load option.cheerskrishan

Guest chris493

FSX on a dedicated HD. It won't necessarily give you a performance boost, but it sure does speed up loading times a ton.

Hi Chris...Million dollar question is that with the OS on the same drive? Or did you mean OS on one disk and deadicated disk just for FSX?Cheerskrishan

The best practice is to have the OS and FSX on separate drives, preferably SSD's.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Guest chris493

OS and FSX on separate. However, if you has 1x 120GBy SSD, and one normal 7200RPM, some people would put both FSX and OS on SSD, and everything else on 7200. Just for the faster boot etc