Sign in to follow this  
artalvar55

JPEG could not be processed at Level 14' error

Hi all:First of all, Happy New Year !!!Big%20Grin.gifI've being tweking the TP for a few days quite unsucesffully. This is the service I am using and the parameters contained on my INI file:[service Example 3]cache_folder=F:\TPCache\serv3network_module=libnettilemodule_config="conn=20|rate=2.0|verbose=0|server=http://us.maps3.yimg.com|path=/aerial.maps.yimg.com/img?x=%x&y=%y&z=%z&v=%v&t=a|useragent=Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.0; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)"min_level=5max_level=15level_mapping=5,6,7,8,9,10,11,14,14,14,15,15,15,15,15 map_version=1.9color_hack=Nocolor_level=0bulk_extend=30I've watched the TProxy while running and in some instances I get a "JPEG file could not be processed at level 14" error and in addition, I am getting black tiles (at the edges of the highest resolutions areas). As depicted on the attached image. A top down view showing the Level Processing along the Black Tiles at the edges of the higher resolutions tiles.On top of that, I thought that the Level Processing (the concentric circules- from Higher/Inner to Lower visibility/Outter) will move accordingly (kind of following the path of the aircraft). In my case, it just happen at the begining and the lower visibility tiles appear and disappier as you move further away or as you move closer away, but the higher resolution tiles, never move or change along the path.Perhaps, I have not understood fully the Level Processing, I wonder if someone could draw a Matrix or so...to indicate such level processing. For example5 5 6 6 5 58 8 7 7 8 810 10 11 11 10 1011 14 14 14 14 1114 15 15 X 15 1515 15 15 15 15 1514 14 15 15 14 1410 10 11 11 10 10and so forth....where X is the aircraft and the numbers resprest the resolution defined on the Level Processing' command ???...perhpas with something as simple as this "matrix' will be easier to configure the Level Processing.I am just wondering if someone has a better idea how to solve this issue.I have a simple Dual-Core, VISTA, 3G RAM on a Laptop.Thanks in advance for your help.Art:Thinking:

Hi all:I have a simple Dual-Core, VISTA, 3G RAM on a Laptop.
I have a "simple, dual core, XP, 4G RAM" desktop... but what's more important that you didn't say is what version of sim are you running. Since your .ini stopped at level 15, I'd suspect FS9, but sometimes I stop at level 13 with FSX so that's not proof. I was never able to see any Tileproxy scenery when using FS9 so I may not be of any help in that regard.Some of the issues in your attachment image could be due to lack of jpg coverage - but you didn't say where you were either so I can't check what's there and how it looks to me. Black tiles are supposed to be an occasional occurrence in FS9 but they could be in the source imagery also.I know the outermost FSX detail scenery ring (that tileproxy would display) is equivalent to level 10. Outside of this there is nothing but the background world image. The innermost depends on the detail level selected by the user; I can't say for sure what FS9 starts with but it won't hurt anything to leave your min/max levels from 5 to 15. If FS9/FSX needs level ten to start with, that's where it will start downloading. My min/max is 10-19 no matter what max resolution I actually select. The lod_max at the top of the ini is what actually sets the highest resolution, not the min/max in the detail section.If you are just getting started I'd recommend avoiding the level mapping until things are otherwise functional; it could confuse things and make it more difficult to see what is going on.But level mapping, here goes: simplified version - no level mappinglod_max=13min_level=10max_level=15Tileproxy will make scenery at 6 levels of resolution.The outermost lod8 'ring' will use level 10 jpg. Both are 160mRing 2 lod9 'ring' will use level 11 jpg - 80mRing 3 lod10 'ring' will use level 12 jpg - 40mRing 4 lod11 'ring' will use level 13 jpg - 20mRing 5 lod12 'ring' will use level 14 jpg - 10mRing 6 lod13 'ring' will use level 15 jpg - 5mWith level mapping:lod_max=13min_level=10max_level=15level_mapping=10,10,12,14,15,15Tileproxy will make scenery at 6 levels of resolution.The outermost lod8 'ring' will use level 10 jpg. Both are 160mRing 2 lod9 'ring' will use level 10 jpg - 160m-- to do this, TileProxy will effectively use 1/4 of a 160m image and enlarge it to simulate 80m.Ring 3 lod10 'ring' will use level 12 jpg - 40mRing 4 lod11 'ring' will use level 13 jpg - 20mRing 5 lod12 'ring' will use level 15 jpg - 5m-- to do this, Tileproxy will effectively download 4, 5m images, stitch them together then reduce them to fit, making lower resolution from higher resolution. Ring 6 lod13 'ring' will use level 15 jpg - 5mLevel_mapping is just a way of telling TileProxy to use the image tiles of a non-default resolution to make the scenery tiles. It DOES NOT make a 10m scenery ring into 5m scenery ring. Any scenery tile becomes a 5m scenery tile WHEN it gets close enough to the user that FS needs to show it as 5m scenery. If it isn't already, TileProxy makes it so; it remains at 5m resolution until it needs to be bumped to a higher resolution but it doesn't go back to a lower resolution.The image below is Tileproxy scenery made from custom color tiles - a different resolution for each color so you can clearly see each resolution in a different color. The light blue is 1m, the dark blue is 2m. If I used level mapping in this case and used level 17 as a substitute for level 16 ( 10,11,12,13,14,15,17,17), there would be NO visible dark blue scenery because the dark blue images would never have been used. That area would be filled with slightly fuzzy, lower res blocks of light blue that were substituted. This region is 2m regardless of the color used to make it- I could have made it HOT PINK with the level 13 tiles just as easily. And that, by the way, is a very useful feature at times - not the pink, but the option to surround some high res area with a distinct low res 'marker'.Loyd

Hi Lloyd:First of all, thanks for your reply, explanation and assistance.I am using FSX and my test was on a C172 around Monterrey, Mexico between MMMY and MMAN in the Northest of Mexico (www.skyvector.com Chart CH-23 World Aeronautical Chart)Both airports are available on the standard FSX.My position on the image its about 10-12 NM South East from MMMY having departed from MMAN.Let me perform the test again and I would let you know the results.Thanks again for your time and patience.Regards,Art

Hi Lloyd:First of all, thanks for your reply, explanation and assistance.I am using FSX and my test was on a C172 around Monterrey, Mexico between MMMY and MMAN in the Northest of Mexico (www.skyvector.com Chart CH-23 World Aeronautical Chart)Both airports are available on the standard FSX.My position on the image its about 10-12 NM South East from MMMY having departed from MMAN.
Well, in Flashearth, I can see that the svc3 high res images have black borders; all around is lower res, so the area is seriously limited in what you can use to make hi-res imagery. The svc1 imagery may cover a larger area with high res, but cloudy brown is not very attactive. When I get an area like this, I stop at level 13, enjoy what I can from 16,000' or move on to a less frustrating area. Maybe someday it'll improve.Looks like TP and FSX are fine. Imagery is simply inadequate for the look you want at that location. Try the UK, or the Alps; The Sierra Nevadas, or the Cascades. Try Utah, or Death Valley. Come visit Glacier Nat'l Park or Yellowstone or (where I am at the moment) the Wind River range east of the Tetons: where the asphalt stops and the adrenaline begins.Loyd

Hi Loyd:Thanks again for your prompt reply and further explanation.Here are two TOP-VIEW images: the first one with the level mapping suggested and the second one, without Level Mapping.The one without Level Mapping shows less "black tiles" and wider coverage with higher resolution.My only question now, is what parameter is used ( ini) to "closly follow" the path of the Aircraft so newer rings (higer resolutions images around the AC) are created along the path or is that part of the algorithm to update the tiles around the aircraft automatically ?? or is it depenending upon how "fast" you download the images ?? or how does it works ??...do we..as a users, have any control about it ?? (in terms of setting or fine tunning the ini file or else)I am going to try different services. Google does not work neither. As matter of fact, it is even worst (black tiles all over) without any Level mapping.Thanks again and I will keep you posted.Art

what parameter is used ( ini) to "closly follow" the path of the Aircraft so newer rings (higer resolutions images around the AC) are created along the path or is that part of the algorithm to update the tiles around the aircraft automatically ?? or is it depenending upon how "fast" you download the images ?? or how does it works ??...do we..as a users, have any control about it ?? (in terms of setting or fine tunning the ini file or else)
Slew around in a wide angle top-down view mode; watch blocks of scenery being added in front of you and disappear behind you. You can see smaller blocks shift into higher resolution as they approach... kind of like a the beam of a flashlight pointed down at a map - brighter in the center, dimmer at the edges, FSX is more detailed at the center, less detailed at the edges.The best generic tiles in FSX are 1.2m but as they get further from the viewer they are rendered at lower resolutions: 2.4m, then 4.8m, then 9.6m etc. TileProxy-built tiles are treated in exactly the same way.In short, all the scenery size, range and resolution is FSX business. TP only attempts to make replacement tiles up to the highest level that FSX needs to display - but within the limits that the ini sets.max_lod defines the highest resolution that TP will make. max_lod=15.... This will cause any TP scenery tiles nearest the aircraft to be built up to the 1.2m/pix level of resolution. If 1.2m imagery is available to make it with, it will also be detailed in appearance, as you would expect. If no high res imagery is available, the tile will made with the highest resolution imagery that is available and may 'look' low res, but will still be constructed to the same level of (potential) resolution. If you fly too fast to download the necessary images, TP will make scenery with whatever it has available; if you fly too fast for this, scenery just gets blurrier faster. Just like you can outrun default scenery where FSX doesn't have time to even display the default.The levels min/max/mapping allow some substitution in source imagery to give us a bit of control over the appearance of the scenery but it is FSX that determines that a specific location should be displayed as 2m resolution and it is TileProxy that makes that piece of scenery into a piece of 2m resolution real estate the first time. If TP needs to download more imagery for that to happen, then it downloads it. If that particular bit of scenery is already at 2m or higher, then it is just 'handed off' to FSX for use.Tiles made by TP are initially made and subsequently upgraded in resolution "As Needed" - as they fall within a FSX scenery 'ring'. After that, they remain at the highest level. Changing to a different service alone does not cause the scenery to be rebuilt. Changing water settings, level min/max/mappings will cause scenery to be rebuilt. Raising the lodmax will increase the density of the tiles. LOWERING lodmax does NOT reduce any current tiles - it only limits the resolution of the tiles that are still below the new level.Loyd

Hi all: :( Thanks again Loyd for your valuable help. I am getting there...LOL...I decided to go to Falshearth before I proceed with the tweeking of TP this weekend.But I've just noticed that it is quite difficult for me to determine the resolution in terms of LOD's numbers from the PICs. I can distingusih the difference, but I can not tell what the "resolution" is. For example, attached you will find two pics (using FlashEarth and VM) but I do not know what the resolution is (LOD) so I can start to define the rings and to verify what my system is capable of. By the way, I think Bing is the one where I can get better results.The second pic is just one click (zooming in) into the area of interest. In this case is Ciudad Delicias, Chihuahua, Mexico (MM77 in FSX)I would trully appreciate your feedback on this.Best regards,Art

I decided to go to Falshearth before I proceed with the tweeking of TP this weekend.But I've just noticed that it is quite difficult for me to determine the resolution in terms of LOD's numbers from the PICs. I can distingusih the difference, but I can not tell what the "resolution" is. For example, attached you will find two pics (using FlashEarth and VM) but I do not know what the resolution is (LOD) so I can start to define the rings and to verify what my system is capable of. By the way, I think Bing is the one where I can get better results.The second pic is just one click (zooming in) into the area of interest. In this case is Ciudad Delicias, Chihuahua, Mexico (MM77 in FSX)I would trully appreciate your feedback on this.Best regards,Art
Art, it is 'fortunate' that you picked those images, this precise situation.Image one is level 13, (20m/lod11) and is typical of MS across the world. Get used to recognizing it because that will help identify levels. Much of the world has NOTHING better than this. When you zoom in from here, obviously, the next image is level 14 (10m/lod12). It seems to ALWAYS be a marked different color with MS; aerial, instead of satellite. Sometimes the Yahoo transition between 13 and 14 is less dramatic - it tends to be greener at the lower levels.If you are using Flashearth, you don't see the zoom level in the address bar like you did going to Bing directly, but NOTICE that when you zoom in there is a brief message 'loading images...' on the screen or browser bar at the bottom when you transition to a higher level. If the message is seen then you are going to the next level; if you don't, then it is probably just enlarging the previous display. Not the best solution but better than just guessing.You will get more used to the clarity of the imagery as you get practice: how sharp are roof edges, lines in parking lots, cars, etc. But there is also this...If I am not sure of what it is, I usually look at the freshly downloaded image names at a new startup location (Windows search in the cache) to find the most recently downloaded files. They all include a level as part of the name when saved by TP: tile_l17_x1234_y12345.jpg; if the highest level number (l17) is the one I asked for, then it was available. If I set up TP for 1.2m (max_lod=15/level 17) and I only end up with tiles that have l16, then no 1m/level 17 was available. TP still makes "1m" scenery but has to use the 2m because that's the best that was available. You can also create a temporary cache just for this purpose to simplify the search at a new location; if it turns out to be ok, then just copy into your 'regular' cache and continue using as per normal.Now, just to complcate matters, the identical coverage at Yahoo, usually has a zoom level 1 higher than the identical coverage using Bing. The noticeable color change at Yahoo occurs between their level 14 and 15.The Bing levels matched the TP levels, so the Yahoo levels are 1 higher.A bit of a bother but I usually limit myself to 2m (level 16) anyway; otherwize, the scenery regions would be entirely too massive. Each step up in resolution makes the scenery tiles about 4X larger than the previous.A 2m Scenery tile (made by TP) is 340k. The same tile is bumped to 1,389k to make it 1m and 5,592k to make it a 60cm tile. There is a BIG price to pay for high resolution. All scenery tiles are 1.2km x 1.2km (approximately) only the contents and file size change as you improve the resolution in each one individually.Hope this helps.

Hey Loyd:Thanks again for your prompt reply and assistance.After reviewing in gratjer detail your suggestions and recomendations, I decided to perform another test, but now on a Cross-Country Flight from MMAS to MMZC in Mexico.The only variable I did adjust was max_load=15 and NO level mapping. I took about 10 min to load the scenery.Here there are my results and I would like to hear back from you with any other additional suggestion or recommendation of where and what to adjust on my Laptop (FSX-DualCore-3GRAM) using Bing (VE)Thanks again in advance and best regards,Arthttp://img214.images...=64080917dt.jpg

Art,regarding the pix...The first few look somewhat grainy but I don't know if that's just the picture resolution or exactly what you are seeing. Mine don't look particularly sharp either. Pic #4 you are flying at the edge of the hi res area 14-17 and that's 13-10 in the greenish all the way to the horizon.pic #5 (out the window) probably in the 5m scenery ring but not sharp enough; may just not have sharpened up in FSX yet#6,7,8 look almost normal but altitude and zoom level affect what scenery ring you can actually see, so I can't know if these are the best they can be or not.#9 shows level 13 imagery being displayed as 14,15, or 16; it normally gets that blocky, pixellated look - easy to recognize as low res' image being converted into "high Resolution" scenery.--------------------------------first some background tech stuffIf I use level mapping and cause my 2.4m scenery to be made with 20m imagery, it will show a very obvious ring around my center-most level17/1m scenery. i.e. level_mapping=10,11,12,13,14,15,13,17It looks like this in top down; very similar to your pic9exact location: n32.874969 w97.081245 elev 1078 zoom 100% head 356°M--------- just SW of KDFW.2D view tilted to bring horizon near the top of the screen. TP at 1m (lod_max=15), FSX at 1m, medium range.If your houses are sharp near the bottom of the frame and less sharp toward the middle, then there's likely nothing wrong with your settings. It would be easier to troubleshoot problems with TP at locations with known good imagery. DFW wasn't the best choice, it seems; has imagery in about 5 or 6 differing colors. Yuck!You need also to be about 2000' above ground for even 1m scenery to look pretty good but from there something becomes evident. Even at zoom level 60%, I can't see any 1m scenery under me, and at 100% zoom, I can't even see the 2.4m scenery so long as I am looking (more or less) at the horizon so that I can maintain proper flight control. When I get low enough to have 1m scenery in view, I'm too close for it to appear sharp. Flying in cockpit or outside, so long as I have the horizon in view, I can't see under me enough to appreciate the 1m -- so I don't bother with it any more.The 2m ring is visible at 60% zoom but you can't tell if there's any 1m or not at 2000'Loyd

Hi all:Thanks Loyd again for your feedback and for sharing your experience.I am kind of growing frustrated here 'cuse the "Learning Curve" seems to be getting stepper and stepper for me and I still don't get it (based on my tests)It is quite clear for me now that we are 100% dependent of the quality of the images supplied (if any) by the provider.But I am still wondering if I am still missing something on my setups (FSX & TP).For instance the attached images:PIC 1 is a FSX Top View of the area of interest (MMQT). Pics 2 and 3 are the top views of FlashEarth at the same area of interest. Based on this images I can conclude that there is CONSITENCY among the pics in terms of "resolution" available on the area(14 in some areas, 13 or better in another area). That is fine and I do not have any problem with it. However, why my FSX is not able to display the rest of the higher resolution tiles around the AC position ? At least I would suspect that It will do it for the remainder of the RWY area ? or what setting am I missing ???PICS 4 and 5: What is the rate of changes of the FSX to place new tiles ??? or how can I control it ?? Pic4 a FSX Top-View but as you noticed, I am missing many HighRes tiles along the route. Pic 5 is FlashEarth.Two more points:I've get the impression that FSX kind of "falls behind" on updating the tiles around you while flying (100 knots or less) and along with that serious issue, yeasterday I flow around this area and I never got any hihg resolution tile around. Should I include the "radius" on FSX so I can gett new tiles faster while flying ?? Though I am afraid that by doing so, the loading time flight scenery will take longer. Right now, with my current config takes about 15 min.http://img28.imagesh...id=10465702.jpgMy settings:max_lod=15cache_bytes_limit=1000000000cache_tiles_limit=150000[Live Maps]cache_folder=F:\TPCache\LiveMapsnetwork_module=libnettile module_config=module_config="conn=20|rate=2.0|verbose=0|server=http://a*.ortho.tiles.virtualearth.net|path=/tiles/a%s.jpeg?g=%v|quad=0123|balance=0123|useragent=Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.0; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)" min_level=10max_level=17#level_mapping=10,10,12,14,15,15 map_version=604 color_hack=Yes color_level=13bulk_extend=50 FSX all the ones suggested by the manual.Thanks again and I would truly aprrecaite your feedback.Best regards,Art

I am kind of growing frustrated here 'cuse the "Learning Curve" seems to be getting stepper and stepper for me and I still don't get it (based on my tests)Thanks again and I would truly aprrecaite your feedback.Best regards,Art
The learning curve is very steep once you want more than to "just fly" with it because it involves images in one scale and FSX scenery in a different scale. I would recommend that you go my personal info page (click user name) and send me an email. Then we can exchange pictures/descriptions, questions and answers and issues that may reflect only your specific system directly, without the posting limitations of the forum. Do you have the SDK installed? that will let you see things the way FSX sees them... photo imagery is 'cut off' if there isn't enough to completely fill the minimum scenery regions as FSX sees them - you will only see the imagery that can completely cover a scenery cell, sometimes causing an abrupt change from level 17 to level 13 at the junction.Loyd

Artadditional notes: The resolution at MMQT/level 17 has the same sharpness as an equivalent image from LAX - it appears normal.But a system/FSX can be very slow updating scenery if it needs defragging, or there are too many services running, or buss speed is slow, or hdd is slow, or RAM is slow, or antivirus is running or graphics uses shared memory. This 80% zoom image taken AFTER the initial tiles made in the area and FSX/TP restarted. I'm also using medium range (3.5) and it looks normal for the imagery available. You may need some system 'housekeeping' or optimizing to get better performance. My startup (load time) is about 3-4 min at these settings.Also try using the Cache Browser utility in the Tileproxy folder (carefully). Zoom into MMQT area and see the actual available tiles you have to work with. A 'hole' between the airport and areas east in levels 15-17, but white, non-surface 'trim' filler, in level 14.Loyd