Sign in to follow this  
brucek

Flight One DC-9 (Iron Knuckles).

I just upgrading this to FS9 and flew it tonight. Has anyone noticed how stable this bird is in pitch? I don't think I've seen anything come close to the flight model of this old girl. I doubt if there are many left flying today.Bruce.

Hi BruceThe IK DC9 is still the only jet I can fly IMC without the aid of an autopilot. The stability is superb and the pop-up primary instruments mean I can actually read the AI when using the VC.I think its one of the better flight models out there, at least in normal operating conditions - I don`t think the stall behaviour of a T-Tail can be effectively simulated by FS yet..RegardsLungs

Thanks.I'm enjoying this old girl immensely!BTW- I was in "windy Wellington" last January! (on my way back to the US).Bruce.

Hi BruceHope you liked NZ. How did you like the approach into Wellington? January`s not too bad but in winter it is entertaining to drop out the bottom of the "Long White Cloud" and see houses above you on both sides (rw 16 app)! If you want to try a nice scenic flight on FS fly from NZNS (Nelson) - NZWN (wellington). From Nelson fly direct to the TR radio beacon (114.6) then direct to WN (on the airfield) on 112.3. There`s a nice freeware NZ mesh (go here http://www.geographx.co.nz/msfs.htm )available and the scenery is pretty nice (over the Marlborough Sounds) all the way across. Takes about 30mins in the ANZ Saab and about 25 in the ATR-72, which is about the biggest plane Nelson can handle. RegardsLungs

Hi Lungs,Yes, I've done the approach to Wellington many times. My first flight in a jet (then "National Airways Corp" or "NAC" B737-200) was into Wellington from Christchurch, back in around 1970! It was a gusty crosswind, and those spoilerons really had my eyes bulging!!My home town is Greymouth on the West Coast, now live in Colorado close to Denver. I was once in the NZBC and later in various arms of the broadcasting networks, before leaving NZ in 1978.Thanks,Bruce.

HI BruceAh a Coaster! I`m a Pom, having moved to NZ only last year. Its certainly different to the UK - when I refer to "mountains" my Nelson-born partner laughs and reminds me that they are only hills! Still, I guess there`s no shortage of hills in & around Denver..CheersLungs

Yes, there are a few "hills" to the west of Denver :).Bruce.

there's more DC-9s still around than you'd think.Northwest for example has dozens (maybe as many as a hundred) still and is planning to keep them for years more.In South America they're also quite popular for their ruggidity and reliability.

Interesting- thanks, it's good to know they're still flying. Like their bigger cousins, and even the -10's and MD-11's, they really look like thorough-breds with those high swept angles.Thanks,Bruce.

Apparently the Dc-10 had the highest sweep angle of any jetliner (37.5 degrees) when released. Must have needed the old yaw damper!

Together with the sewpt wing effects and that high thrust plane of the rear engine, must have been quite a hand-full!Bruce.

Yeah, there are a few DC9`s in the Phillipines and South China area too.I suppose the only thing that`s starting to let these great old aircraft down in the insulating material on the electrics. More and more of them are suffering from electrical fires / smoke in the cockpit type incidents.CheersLungs