Sign in to follow this  
terrypin

Flight path, Virgin, Heathrow to LA?

Could someone point me to the flight path Virgin Atlantic uses from London Heathrow to LAX please?I did actually plot a small section of it when my son flew out last September. But there's a huge gap of about 6 hours from near Leeds in the north of England:12:51 53.64 -1.85 314° West 459 528 29,000 climbing FlightAware Europeto this point18:57 58.03 -92.63 215° SW 480 552 34,000 climbing Winnipeg Centerto the west of the Hudson Bay.(I can't immediately recall the source of that data.)-- Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Guest jahman

Likely the EGLL-KLAX route will not be fixed over the Atlantic so aircraft can benefit from favourable wind conditions. Aircrat follow predetermined North Atlantic Tracks, with the currently active westbound tracks here.Cheers,- jahman.

Thanks both, much appreciate the fast responses.esg: I'd like to try that myself. Did you first simply go to the Virgin site to get flight numbers and then feed them into Flight Aware please?-- Terry, East Grinstead, UK

You can search using the dep. and arr. airports:http://flightaware.com/live/findflight

You can search using the dep. and arr. airports:http://flightaware.com/live/findflight
Thanks - that's a truly excellent tool!(I tried registering but gave up after many failures. Nor can I reach the administrator.)-- Terry, East Grinstead, UK

well, I cannot get any detailed routing infos within German Air Space, like EDDH to EDDF. The route is never straight, has always waypoints!

hi from a newbie , 'fraid i don't the Virgin route . 'Tho it was a regular run for me with another operator ! We often followed Virgin 7 or 8 or they followed us . Route varied every day to get advantage of min. head winds / max tailwinds . Have an old flt plan here for 1/8/09 . Lhr - Lax . Its very representative . flt time 10.12 , 4863 nm . 12 kts tailwind . flt plan burn 104920 kgs . alternate Ontario ( california Kont ) tot. tanks 116177 kgs . that was for a payload ( pax and cargo of 46.8 tonnes . ) cost index 0 . planned remaining fuel 10.2 tonnes . Due to old age / not wife but family on board took nearly 118 tonnes in tanks ! Rte 27R - sid wobun 2f 6000ft- wobun- clb Fl 300- Tnt -pol- tla -stn - ratsu ( n 061 degrees w 10 degrees ) clb fl320 - n65 w 20 -n67w30 - n67w40 - n67w50 - n65 1/2degeesw70 - clb fl340 - n63 1/2w80 - n60 1/2w90 - yyq -n56w100 - clb fl360 - vln - ggw - bil -ffu - mlf - bld - hec - riivr 2 arrival to 24r or 25l ... ( a bit right hand down at hec and loc on ils ! ) planned spd was slower than norm due to tailwind en-route ( head wind is normal on west bound atlantic ) i.e. Mach .82 to bil then .83 on dep we had zfw ( zero fuel wt ..ie a/c plus payload ) 238tonnes , tow (take off wt ) 354 , law (landing wt ) 250 . wx fine on arrival , so on the back of a fag packet , arrival fuel planning was when fuel got to 8.4 tonnes ; atc were to be told we needed an approach pronto ... that gave us 2 t to make app . if we missed it and went around then another 2t for 2nd app . landing of that gave us 4.4 t ..... the legal min of 30 mins fuel ... below that was a mayday ! hope that helps , if its Pmdg 747-400 it should all plug in , if not you can find the lat and longs on map which will also give the vors ... Good luck .. shud be daylight all way if you set out at midday uk time . rgds