Sign in to follow this  
Tom Wright

Random Freezing

Hi!I've had the 747-400X for a while now and it is one of my favourite add ons. One problem I do have though is that every now and then (very intermittant) when flying a long-haul flight, at some point FSX will freeze and hang. The screen will fog and the task manager will say "Not Responding". However, 9 times out of 10 if I don't quit FSX and leave it hanging there for a few minutes, it will usually resume and continue as normal, either returning after another few hours or not happening again at all.I've got what I consider to be a pretty good system: Intel Core i7 920 clocked to 3.6GHz, 6.0Gb DDR3, GTX285, FSX and addons installed on a solid state drive (everything else installed on a separate hard disk drive), running Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. Other add ons in use at the time are REX 2.0 (with real world weather via SimConnect - which plays havoc with the aircraft's speed but that's a completely different issue!), and some Xtreme series airports from UK2000.Any help would be welcomed!Many thanks,Tom Wright

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

Hi Tom, Have you tried disabling the REX weather engine for a flight and see if it still hangs? Sometimes during weather updates some programs like to hang whilst the weather is imported into FSX. That's all that I can think for the time being, but its worth a try.

Hi guys, thanks for your replies. I will try another flight without the weather engine and see what happens. It's a good explanation but it did hang a pretty long time (probabaly about 5 minutes) before it resumed again! Usually the weather import only takes a few seconds.I already have the HIGHMEMFIX=1 line in my cfg and have been using it for a while now since I got FSLabs Concorde X. That aircraft suffered more than most with texture overload problems (where you switch views and parts of the aircraft and/or scenery just vanish forcing a reload)! The HIGHMEMFIX=1 line successfully sorted that. The sim still freezes from time to time though.Thanks,Tom Wright

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S