Sign in to follow this  
hawkhero

How do you like PMDG 747-400X -8i/F?

When you come into visual range of the airport and it starts loading textures and objects, it is just too much to handle for an WinXP machine with the amount of applications and addons that I have running.
I wouldn't necessarily blame it on WinXP. Look in my sig, i'm on WinXP 32 bit with only 2GB of RAM and I continually fly into FSDT's KDFW, KJFK, etc, with ASA running weather, UT2 providing traffic, and REX textures and I never had an OOM. Granted like I mentioned before, I am unsing REX 1024 DXT textures and I usually keep autogen set to only Dense, plus all the texture converting I have done to keep 32bit textures away if possible. Sometimes a developer will put 32 bit textures in sceneries or textures for aircraft paint, so anytime I install a new paint or scenery the first thing I do is check the textures.If I remember right, you said that you have 4GB of RAM, so if I can get by on 2GB surely you can do it.Here's something else to consider, did you ever apply the 3GB switch in your boot.ini for x32 systems (x64 Windows doesn't need this)? Have you ever used NickN's setup guide? Here's the link to it and it can provide some valuable info in getting everyting set up to par. http://www.simforums.com/forums/setting-up-fsx-and-how-to-tune-it_topic29041.htmlOn the boot.ini
Thanks again. I'll give you an update when i get a chance to get it all done and put a couple of flights in. :(
Yes, I am interested to see how you do after you work on your textures. Please let us know.Regards,Sean Campbell

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator