Sign in to follow this  
cmeeks

Been Futzing w/This for a Few Days Now

I can't seem to get things operating smoothly no matter what I do... can someone offer some insight regarding my ProxyUser.ini file and my fsx.cfg file? Symptoms??? Well I fly around and see blurries... I tried giving TileProxy a dedicated hard drive, copied and pasted Bojote's most recent fsx.cfg, tried hyperthreading both on and off, got the external FPS Limiter running at 30FPS, tried fiber_frame_time_fraction = 1.33 - all these efforts to no avail. I've even tried dropping max_lod to 13 - the blurries persist. I mean c'mon, I'm running 4.6GHz here with 8GB memory - I know this isn't a hardware issue.Here's a direct download link to each, but I'll also quote my INI file here.My FSX.CFGMy ProxyUser.INI

# Service 1 L17# Start a line with # to comment it out.# Turn your text editor's Word Wrapping OFF for editing this document.## Read the manual for help with configuration. Do not contact the# author about the configuration for particular services. Thank you.#[TileProxy]# Enable or disable worldwide photographic scenery coverage (Yes/True/On to enable)master_enable=On# Write a logfile to disk. In recommend to only turn this on for debugging purposes.# When using FSX RTM or FS 2004, the logfile will grow VERY fast and affect performance.#logfile="E:\tileproxy\logfile.txt"# If you have concerns about possible copyright violations by caching JPEG and BMP tiles# on your hard drive, this switch is the solution. By enabling diskless mode, Tileproxy# will not store a single tile on your hard drive. Expect higher network usage though.# Note that offline mode will depend on tiles being available in the cache.diskless_mode=Off# Offline Mode - No network access will occur (Yes/True/On to enable)offline_mode=No# Resolution limiter: 17 = 30cm/pixel, 16 = 60cm/pixel, 15 = 1.1m/pixel, 14 = 2.3m/pixel, 13 = 4.75m/pixel# Lower resolutions load faster, but are visually less appealing. The 30cm resolution may only be feasible# if you have at least 2GB of system memory.max_lod=15# The following two settings allow you to tune Tileproxy to not preload specific LOD levels. This can# be used in conjunction with third party scenery products like "FS Altitude" that provides data only# up to a specific resolution. If you place this scenery higher than Tileproxy's world folders in the# scenery library then it will have precedence over Tileproxy for the specific LOD levels that it# contains. You can then instruct Tileproxy to not preload these low resolution LOD circles because# they are not needed anyway.# Lowest LOD ring to automatically preload tiles for. Must not be lower than 8.preload_min_lod=9# Lowest LOD ring to automatically preload tiles for. Must not be higher than 17.preload_max_lod=15# The maximum number of tile contexts that Tileproxy will send to the filter driver. A context# is essentially a very fast buffer for graphics data sitting in kernel memory that delivers# data right into FSX. Each tile context can hold an entire LOD 8...15 tile. Higher values# mean more use of your precious kernel memory though. The maximum number is 512. Lower if# you run out of RAM during flight and the PC starts to use the paging file a lot.max_contexts=512# Generate Water Mask. This brings back shader-rendered water and allows# for the use of planes with floats (Goose, Beaver, etc...). If you turn this# option off, you get the Tileproxy behavior of Beta 5 and earlier versions.water_mask=On# Recommendation: FSX users: Use water_blending=on, water_smoothing=off# to get soft land/water transitions## FS9 users: Use water_blending=off, water_smoothing=on# to get hard land/water transitions which# Tileproxy tries to match pixel-exact against coast-lines## Combining water_smoothing and water_blending is discouraged.# It's slow and gives weird results.# Use blending techniques to create a soft land/water transition with some# transparency effect near the shoreline. Compatible with FSX only.water_blending=On# The distance in meters that you want land/water blending to extend from the# shore line. Larger values require more processing. Large values are now possible,# useful values are up to 2000 meters. Very high values may be detrimental to water# mask resolution. Loading speed however remains mostly unaffected by this setting.blend_distance=1500.0# The rate at which terrain is blended into the water color. 1.0 means a linear# blending, values > 1.0 blend faster. Values < 1.0 blend slower. This works# similarly to a Gamma Curve. An exponent of 2 gives a quadratic blend function,# an exponent of 0.5 results in a square root behavior.blend_exponent=1.0# The minimal and maximal transparency of the water. The lower you choose the min value,# the more reflective the deep water will be. The higher the max value is chosen, the less# reflective the water will be directly at the shore line. The reflectiveness transitions# linearly from max to min throughout the distance given by blend_distance from the shore.# Allowed values are between 0 and 1, and alpha_min should be smaller than alpha_max or# things may look weird.# The following alpha_min values will not give you any dithering artifacts on all-water tiles,# so the use of these is recommended. It is multiples of 16/239 (rounded up slighty)# 0.0700, 0.1339, 0.2009, 0.2678, 0.3348, 0.4017, 0.4687# 0.5356, 0.6026, 0.6695, 0.7365, 0.8034, 0.8703, 0.9373alpha_min=0.2678alpha_max=0.7# The water color in hexadecimal RGB notation. Prefix with #. This should be blue# or greenish blue or some shades of brown, depending on your preference.# Values of #000000 are discouraged when using water blending - it will result# in weird behavior at the shorelines.water_rgb=#004D5A# Try to smooth land/water boundaries by trying to match the water mask to the image content.# This is a a somewhat experimental algorithm.water_smoothing=Off# The decision threshold for water/land when water_smoothing is enabled. 0 means everything# will be turned to land, 1 means everything turns to water. Chose some value inbetween.water_threshold=0.33# Maximum number of bytes allocated to BMP graphics tiles in RAM at any time (0 for unlimited)# The value below states 100 MB.cache_bytes_limit=1000000000# Maximum number of BMP tiles to cache in RAM at any time (0 for no limit).cache_tiles_limit=150000# The currently active service is configured here. Only ONE active source please.# The other source statements should be commented out.source=MSN#source=Yahoo# The sources you want to be able to switch from the GUI menu.# Separate the list entries with | and enclose in quotes. Make sure the# names specified here are valid services which are defined below.# You may want to rename the services according to your preference,# but make sure you replace all occurences of the strings.menu_sources="MSN|Yahoo"# Experimental API Hooking section. Disable if you see strange crashes and effects.# Currently we only have the DirectX 9 hook. More hooks are planned.enable_hooking=No# The DirectX 9 hook enables the moving map overlay. More features are planned.enable_dx9hook=No# A flag whether to show the moving map overlay initially or not.enable_movingmap=no# Dimensions and overlay colors of the moving map. Positions are percentages of the screen.# Width and Height refer to the full 512x512 pixel texture used for the map. To get a round# map circle, the ratio of width and height should match your screen's aspect ratio (e.g. 4:3)# Radius is given in the map texture's pixels where one pixel represents a LOD 15 tile. A# radius of 0 disables the round stencil and shows the entire 512x512 texture. Color is given# in a hexadecimal ARGB notation. movingmap_alpha=255movingmap_color=#ff000000movingmap_xpos=88movingmap_ypos=15movingmap_width=60movingmap_height=80movingmap_radius=60[MSN]#Service 1cache_folder=D:\TileProxy\cache.MSNnetwork_module=libnettilemodule_config="conn=20|rate=2.0|verbose=0|server=http://a*.ortho.tiles.virtualearth.net|path=/tiles/a%s.jpeg?g=%v|quad=0123|balance=0123|useragent=Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.0; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)"min_level=10max_level=19map_version=618# level_mapping=10,14,14,14,16,16,17,17# level_mapping=8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16# level_mapping=9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17color_hack=Yescolor_level=13bulk_extend=50[Yahoo]#Service 3cache_folder=d:\TileProxy\cache.Yahoonetwork_module=libnettilemodule_config="conn=20|rate=2.0|verbose=0|server=http://us.maps3.yimg.com|path=/aerial.maps.yimg.com/img?x=%x&y=%y&z=%z&v=%v&t=a|useragent=Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.0; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)"min_level=10max_level=17map_version=1.9level_mapping=10,14,14,14,16,16,17,17# level_mapping=9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17color_hack=Nocolor_level=0bulk_extend=50
Not sure if anything of value can be pulled from this screenshot...TileProxy.jpgHere's what I mean by blurries:fsx%202011-01-23%2020-45-04-41.jpg

Corey Meeks

Flight Simulator - FS2020 | CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Video Card - Sapphire RX 5700 XT Main Board - ASUS ROG Strix X570-I mini-ITX | RAM - G.SKILL Trident Z Neo 2x16Gb DDR4 3600Mhz CL16 | Monitor - DELL 38" U3818DW (3840x1600) | Case - Cooler Master NR200 | CPU Cooling - Noctua NH-U12A | Power Supply - Corsair SF750 | 6x Phanteks T30 120x30mm Fans

Download: FSXMark11 Benchmark and post results here

I can't seem to get things operating smoothly no matter what I do... can someone offer some insight regarding my ProxyUser.ini file and my fsx.cfg file? Symptoms??? Well I fly around and see blurries... I tried giving TileProxy a dedicated hard drive, copied and pasted Bojote's most recent fsx.cfg, tried hyperthreading both on and off, got the external FPS Limiter running at 30FPS, tried fiber_frame_time_fraction = 1.33 - all these efforts to no avail. I've even tried dropping max_lod to 13 - the blurries persist. I mean c'mon, I'm running 4.6GHz here with 8GB memory - I know this isn't a hardware issue.
Screenshots helpful...Aircraft info display says flying westward at above 8k and almost 200KIASDOS console window says scenery not being made fast enough.Fact: scenery building and display updating starts from widest range (oval 1/LOD8) and works its way in toward the AC a "layer" at a time. If you cross a scenery boundary before FSX is finished displaying the higher levels of resolution, it aborts that layer and jumps back out to the most distant again and begins all over. This is evident in the missing tiles visible as the "-" in the lower part of the image. FSX + TP can't keep up.After you have created those tiles (slow down to do it) the software MAY be able to keep up a little better. It was never expected to be used with 1m scenery at 'long' range flying jets...though I have a friend with high-end equip who does it. I'll ask him to comment also. Just for 'grins' drop your lod_max to 12 and pull in just the levels up to 14 (10m). From 8-10k it might still look pretty good - I'd be more interested in knowing if your system can keep up. From high altitude, I like the light, bright, Summer appearance of level 13... a lot of those dark, muddy higher res images make me think I'm approaching Gotham City.It's not just a TP thing. Tile proxy makes the scenery that FSX needs and that determines what scenery is worked on. You can even fly a flightplan on autopilot with phototiles being MADE but not displayed if you start TP AFTER FX. TP will probably get all the tiles made. That means...Yeah, FSX scenery management is probably the biggest bottleneck. But TP will have less to do on the 2nd pass and it may work better.this is level 13 (lod_max=11). This is all that is available for most of the world. It's a smooth flight and wonderful view from 10000' and up.Remember that you are making 1m scenery only immediately below you - bordered by 2.4m - bordered by 4.8 etc...you won't see any of that if you are looking forward. From the cockpit you might not even see the 10m scenery. This is a waste on a flight you only fly one time. Even I can fly over 20m scenery (level13) at 220kias without a hitch. I won't brag on its appearance from 5000' but when taking off or landing you'd best be focused on that operation and not looking at scenery <grin>For low level, I usually stop at 2.4m (level 16) for performance reasons.Loyd

Alright, here's max_lod=12 and I also set texture resolution to 10m in the FSX scenery settings menu. I'm not sure what the deal is. I actually had tileproxy running quite well on my previous LGA 775 system - well enough that it was actually useful for long range jet flights.TileProxy%20not%20working%20so%20well.jpgTileProxy%202.jpg Here's the INI file I was using during this flight. I've been working so hard at this over the last few days that I'm starting to just get sloppy. You will probably notice there's a couple mistakes in the above INI file, but regardless of fixing them in the one below, I'm still having problems.

[TileProxy]# Enable or disable worldwide photographic scenery coverage (Yes/True/On to enable)master_enable=On# Write a logfile to disk. In recommend to only turn this on for debugging purposes.# When using FSX RTM or FS 2004, the logfile will grow VERY fast and affect performance.#logfile="E:\tileproxy\logfile.txt"# If you have concerns about possible copyright violations by caching JPEG and BMP tiles# on your hard drive, this switch is the solution. By enabling diskless mode, Tileproxy# will not store a single tile on your hard drive. Expect higher network usage though.# Note that offline mode will depend on tiles being available in the cache.diskless_mode=Off# Offline Mode - No network access will occur (Yes/True/On to enable)offline_mode=No# Resolution limiter: 17 = 30cm/pixel, 16 = 60cm/pixel, 15 = 1.1m/pixel, 14 = 2.3m/pixel, 13 = 4.75m/pixel# Lower resolutions load faster, but are visually less appealing. The 30cm resolution may only be feasible# if you have at least 2GB of system memory.max_lod=12# The following two settings allow you to tune Tileproxy to not preload specific LOD levels. This can# be used in conjunction with third party scenery products like "FS Altitude" that provides data only# up to a specific resolution. If you place this scenery higher than Tileproxy's world folders in the# scenery library then it will have precedence over Tileproxy for the specific LOD levels that it# contains. You can then instruct Tileproxy to not preload these low resolution LOD circles because# they are not needed anyway.# Lowest LOD ring to automatically preload tiles for. Must not be lower than 8.preload_min_lod=8# Lowest LOD ring to automatically preload tiles for. Must not be higher than 17.preload_max_lod=15# The maximum number of tile contexts that Tileproxy will send to the filter driver. A context# is essentially a very fast buffer for graphics data sitting in kernel memory that delivers# data right into FSX. Each tile context can hold an entire LOD 8...15 tile. Higher values# mean more use of your precious kernel memory though. The maximum number is 512. Lower if# you run out of RAM during flight and the PC starts to use the paging file a lot.max_contexts=512# Generate Water Mask. This brings back shader-rendered water and allows# for the use of planes with floats (Goose, Beaver, etc...). If you turn this# option off, you get the Tileproxy behavior of Beta 5 and earlier versions.water_mask=On# Recommendation: FSX users: Use water_blending=on, water_smoothing=off# to get soft land/water transitions## FS9 users: Use water_blending=off, water_smoothing=on# to get hard land/water transitions which# Tileproxy tries to match pixel-exact against coast-lines## Combining water_smoothing and water_blending is discouraged.# It's slow and gives weird results.# Use blending techniques to create a soft land/water transition with some# transparency effect near the shoreline. Compatible with FSX only.water_blending=On# The distance in meters that you want land/water blending to extend from the# shore line. Larger values require more processing. Large values are now possible,# useful values are up to 2000 meters. Very high values may be detrimental to water# mask resolution. Loading speed however remains mostly unaffected by this setting.blend_distance=1500.0# The rate at which terrain is blended into the water color. 1.0 means a linear# blending, values > 1.0 blend faster. Values < 1.0 blend slower. This works# similarly to a Gamma Curve. An exponent of 2 gives a quadratic blend function,# an exponent of 0.5 results in a square root behavior.blend_exponent=1.0# The minimal and maximal transparency of the water. The lower you choose the min value,# the more reflective the deep water will be. The higher the max value is chosen, the less# reflective the water will be directly at the shore line. The reflectiveness transitions# linearly from max to min throughout the distance given by blend_distance from the shore.# Allowed values are between 0 and 1, and alpha_min should be smaller than alpha_max or# things may look weird.# The following alpha_min values will not give you any dithering artifacts on all-water tiles,# so the use of these is recommended. It is multiples of 16/239 (rounded up slighty)# 0.0700, 0.1339, 0.2009, 0.2678, 0.3348, 0.4017, 0.4687# 0.5356, 0.6026, 0.6695, 0.7365, 0.8034, 0.8703, 0.9373alpha_min=0.2678alpha_max=0.7# The water color in hexadecimal RGB notation. Prefix with #. This should be blue# or greenish blue or some shades of brown, depending on your preference.# Values of #000000 are discouraged when using water blending - it will result# in weird behavior at the shorelines.water_rgb=#004D5A# Try to smooth land/water boundaries by trying to match the water mask to the image content.# This is a a somewhat experimental algorithm.water_smoothing=Off# The decision threshold for water/land when water_smoothing is enabled. 0 means everything# will be turned to land, 1 means everything turns to water. Chose some value inbetween.water_threshold=0.33# Maximum number of bytes allocated to BMP graphics tiles in RAM at any time (0 for unlimited)# The value below states 100 MB.cache_bytes_limit=1000000000# Maximum number of BMP tiles to cache in RAM at any time (0 for no limit).cache_tiles_limit=150000# The currently active service is configured here. Only ONE active source please.# The other source statements should be commented out.source=MSN#source=Yahoo# The sources you want to be able to switch from the GUI menu.# Separate the list entries with | and enclose in quotes. Make sure the# names specified here are valid services which are defined below.# You may want to rename the services according to your preference,# but make sure you replace all occurences of the strings.menu_sources="MSN|Yahoo"# Experimental API Hooking section. Disable if you see strange crashes and effects.# Currently we only have the DirectX 9 hook. More hooks are planned.enable_hooking=No# The DirectX 9 hook enables the moving map overlay. More features are planned.enable_dx9hook=No# A flag whether to show the moving map overlay initially or not.enable_movingmap=no# Dimensions and overlay colors of the moving map. Positions are percentages of the screen.# Width and Height refer to the full 512x512 pixel texture used for the map. To get a round# map circle, the ratio of width and height should match your screen's aspect ratio (e.g. 4:3)# Radius is given in the map texture's pixels where one pixel represents a LOD 15 tile. A# radius of 0 disables the round stencil and shows the entire 512x512 texture. Color is given# in a hexadecimal ARGB notation. movingmap_alpha=255movingmap_color=#ff000000movingmap_xpos=88movingmap_ypos=15movingmap_width=60movingmap_height=80movingmap_radius=60[MSN]#Service 1cache_folder=D:\TileProxy\cache.MSNnetwork_module=libnettilemodule_config="conn=20|rate=2.0|verbose=0|server=http://a*.ortho.tiles.virtualearth.net|path=/tiles/a%s.jpeg?g=%v|quad=0123|balance=0123|useragent=Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.0; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)"min_level=9max_level=17map_version=618level_mapping=9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17# level_mapping=10,14,14,14,16,16,17,17# level_mapping=8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16# level_mapping=9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17color_hack=Yescolor_level=13bulk_extend=50[Yahoo]#Service 3cache_folder=d:\TileProxy\cache.Yahoonetwork_module=libnettilemodule_config="conn=20|rate=2.0|verbose=0|server=http://us.maps3.yimg.com|path=/aerial.maps.yimg.com/img?x=%x&y=%y&z=%z&v=%v&t=a|useragent=Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.0; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)"min_level=10max_level=17map_version=1.9level_mapping=10,14,14,14,16,16,17,17# level_mapping=9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17color_hack=Nocolor_level=0bulk_extend=50

Corey Meeks

Flight Simulator - FS2020 | CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Video Card - Sapphire RX 5700 XT Main Board - ASUS ROG Strix X570-I mini-ITX | RAM - G.SKILL Trident Z Neo 2x16Gb DDR4 3600Mhz CL16 | Monitor - DELL 38" U3818DW (3840x1600) | Case - Cooler Master NR200 | CPU Cooling - Noctua NH-U12A | Power Supply - Corsair SF750 | 6x Phanteks T30 120x30mm Fans

Alright, here's max_lod=12 and I also set texture resolution to 10m in the FSX scenery settings menu. I'm not sure what the deal is. I actually had tileproxy running quite well on my previous LGA 775 system - well enough that it was actually useful for long range jet flights.
Something I noticed before but forgot to mention was the "60.0 per second" access rate in the DOS window.This is absurdly low for your machine; even I get 500-800 typically. You should properly be in the 1000-2000 range (or higher) with your equipment. Textures are not loading fast enough (obviously) but this tells how slowly, and that is the issue - not the .ini settings.Can you look into the affinity issue? My TP runs only on second core with FSX on both. Perhaps you need FSX on core 1 and 2 with TP on 3 and 4... or something similar. I don't use affinity mask but you may need to.also FiberFrameFraction (I use 0.66)also number of services runningalso Indexing service - I run with it OFF since I saw that recommendedalso fps limits - internal or external ( I use 30 locked via FSX )Mark's post and replies may have something of value http://forum.avsim.net/topic/324897-quick-question-for-bojote-re-adjusting-cfg-values/You can go to a member's personal info page and from there search all posts by... Mark has a new high-end system that is working great so maybe you'll find some additional clues in his posts.You have the hardware; it's just a matter of finding the sweet spotLoyd

Loyd,I'll look into the suggestions above and report back soon, but I just wanted to say thanks so much for pinpointing the problem. I wasn't even aware of what tile access numbers to expect, so that certainly tells me there's something going on with the cfg file or something else.Corey

Corey Meeks

I got it working... and I mean it works beautifully!!! But I must ask - is your tile access per second fairly steady or does it jump all over the place? Mine sometimes sits fairly idle between 0 and 60 and then for a short period it will jump between 600 and 3000 before going back to idle again. But things seem to be working great!I think what did the trick was manually verifying all the fsx.cfg entries specified by the TileProxy Manual - Changes to Your FSX.CFG were actually there. A few of those were missing, so I added them. I'm pretty bad about changing tons of things at once, so perhaps I deleted some of them while editing my fsx.cfg. From there I've just been tweaking.For example:- I noticed textures load faster when frames are limited specifically within FSX, so I limit frames to 30FPS within FSX and discontinued my use of FPS Limiter- the vSync fix kills framerates so I completely removed the vSync fix from the FSX.CFG (I forced vSync in nVidia control panel instead)- Within ProxyUser.INI I set max_lod=14 and level_mapping=9,14,14,14,14,16,16,16,17 with min_level=9 and max_level=17.- In the FSX scenery settings menu I set texture resolution to 2m (to match up with max_lod=14 in the ProxyUser.INI file)I think from here I will just mess around with fiber_frame_time_fraction (currently set at 1.33), hyperthreading (currently on), and affinity mask (currently at 254).

Corey Meeks

I got it working... and I mean it works beautifully!!! But I must ask - is your tile access per second fairly steady or does it jump all over the place? Mine sometimes sits fairly idle between 0 and 60 and then for a short period it will jump between 600 and 3000 before going back to idle again. But things seem to be working great!- Within ProxyUser.INI I set max_lod=14 and level_mapping=9,14,14,14,14,16,16,16,17 with min_level=9 and max_level=17.- In the FSX scenery settings menu I set texture resolution to 2m (to match up with max_lod=14 in the ProxyUser.INI file)
Tile access: this is about scenery tiles - think of it as FSX getting the scenery from TileProxy. The access is low when you don't need anything new for the moment - most obviously at an airport, flying slow or within a region whose tiles you mostly already have. When you cross a boundary that's common to many levels of scenery, FSX/TP has to jump out and grab a lot of info that's not currently in memory... access rate jumps up. If there aren't any blurries associated with this, don't fret about it; it does vary. That's the first part of the answerLevel mapping: when you substitute levels (higher for lower) each level down you go creates a image requirement that is 4X larger than the previous level. The way I'm reading the mapping you posted is that you're pulling 16X the imagery at level 16 to cover down to 14. But using level 14 to cover down to level 10 - which means pulling 256X the imagery than would be needed to cover a single LOD8 cell with level 10 imagery. That's the second part of the answer. You have a MASSIVE image requirement each time you cross any LOD8 border. On the other hand, if you can maintain the download rate (without getting blocked from the server) I'll bet it's a beauty to fly. And if these are 'single pass' flights and it flies so well, I think I'm going to be jealous!I think also that you need a new machine and I'll be happy to come get your "old one". <grin>Congratulations.Loyd

Well big problem - I rebooted the machine (changing absolutely NOTHING in the process) and now FSX won't run over 8 to 10FPS. Seriously, I changed nothing. Before the reboot, I was maintaining 25FPS. What gives?EDIT: returned to FSX after typing this message (left it open) and all is good and well at 20-25FPS again... weird, but I'll take it.I'll upload a video I recorded of my pre-reboot tileproxy adventures soon and you can tell me if it all adds up or not. The way you explain it above makes it sound as if it's impossible. I should mention I have a really fast internet connection and I'm also currently running my tileproxy cache from the little bit of space available on my SSD until I'm positive it's working. We'll see if it takes a hit when I move it back to a normal HDD.I've been doing all this at 4.60GHz with HT on, but soon I'll try 5.0GHz with HT off - we'll see how that goes.

Corey Meeks

Well big problem - I rebooted the machine (changing absolutely NOTHING in the process) and now FSX won't run over 8 to 10FPS. Seriously, I changed nothing. Before the reboot, I was maintaining 25FPS. What gives?EDIT: returned to FSX after typing this message (left it open) and all is good and well at 20-25FPS again... weird, but I'll take it.I'll upload a video I recorded of my pre-reboot tileproxy adventures soon and you can tell me if it all adds up or not. The way you explain it above makes it sound as if it's impossible. I should mention I have a really fast internet connection and I'm also currently running my tileproxy cache from the little bit of space available on my SSD until I'm positive it's working. We'll see if it takes a hit when I move it back to a normal HDD.I've been doing all this at 4.60GHz with HT on, but soon I'll try 5.0GHz with HT off - we'll see how that goes.
SSD's are nice to fill the need for quick access to many, many, many files very repidly! Fingers here are 'crossed' for luckLL

That's true - it would make sense if the SSD was the reason. If it turns out the SSD is responsible for the performance then I'll be moving my OS and other files over to a regular HDD Big%20Grin.gif Either that or picking up a 40GB SSD to run those from... Anyway, I'm trying 5.0GHz (HT off) right now! EDIT: I think 4.6GHz with HT on is better than 5.0GHz with HT off - textures seem to load faster.

Corey Meeks

Uninstalled TileProxy and reinstalled it such that the cache is now on the Samsung Spinpoint F3 instead of the SSD. I made sure to back up the FSX.CFG and ProxyUser.INI to use immediately following the new install. I still saw tile accesses of up to 3000+ tiles per second, but it seemed spend more time at idle and I experienced more blurries.The higher idle time could be because I'm running FSX off the same HDD, and so the HDD is having to split it's resources? Overall, it just felt too easy to outrun good clean scenery. I will have to reinstall it back to the SSD tomorrow and see if it's clear again.So far it would seem you need a super fast processor with hyper threading and a super fast SSD for tileproxy to run well... imagine that.Well, I don't know how to embed a video from my picasa album, so here's a link to a video from while it was still installed on the SSD. Not sure what it will tell you because FRAPS makes it look jittery and it's not reallly long enough of a video to see if I'm outrunning my scenery. There should be a second video as soon as it's done uploading, but that's going to take a while.

Corey Meeks

Now I'm rethinking hard drive management on my computer because I definately want to run TileProxy off my SSD. Another 40GB SSD would be nice, but there's no way my wife will let me put any more money into this machine. I don't think I can go back to running Windows off a normal HDD either.Loyd - I hope I haven't convinced you of any computer spending your better half wouldn't approve of! How large is your TileProxy cache - or how large do you allow it to grow before cleaning it up? Is it better to just let it get nice and fat with satellite imagery?

Corey Meeks

Now I'm rethinking hard drive management on my computer because I definately want to run TileProxy off my SSD. Another 40GB SSD would be nice, but there's no way my wife will let me put any more money into this machine. I don't think I can go back to running Windows off a normal HDD either.Loyd - I hope I haven't convinced you of any computer spending your better half wouldn't approve of! How large is your TileProxy cache - or how large do you allow it to grow before cleaning it up? Is it better to just let it get nice and fat with satellite imagery?
OS should run well enough off of HDD but getting scenery to FSX is probably the biggest bottleneck.I have OS and world scenery on Drive HDD0FSX is on HDD1Caches are scattered among other drivesTP cache - photoreal world scenery folder? about .7G at the moment. This does not count the fact that I just MOVE a bulky texture folder to another drive and create a new empty /Texture in it's place. However, if you go back to this one with a DIFFERENT ini than you used when you made it, you stand a good chance of deleting/rebuilding everywhere you go. You have to leave a copy of the same/original ini in the folder or risk wasting all the effort.And I'll have to admit I enjoy pre-made photoreal where available and I've been spending far too much time in central Calif Sierras using 2m scenery from Gottfried's blueskyscenery offerings. There's no point in me making the same stuff that he has or will be making, so I'm flying more these days.I toured Glacier National Park at 2m with TP, then found he had done it at 1m already. You guess which one I'm using now...Loyd

I have his photoreal scenery for Colorado and Utah - it's amazing indeed. Have you used Fulvio Mazzokan's Italy scenery? Also, why does pre-made photoreal scenery load faster than TileProxy (even already downloaded tiles for TileProxy)?

Corey Meeks

I have his photoreal scenery for Colorado and Utah - it's amazing indeed. Have you used Fulvio Mazzokan's Italy scenery? Also, why does pre-made photoreal scenery load faster than TileProxy (even already downloaded tiles for TileProxy)?
FSX-style scenery compiled into a bgl file is more efficient than TileProxy's FS9-style 1024 bmp's per LOD8 region - at medium scenery scale (3.5), you load 27 LOD8 cells at startup; each bgl is 1.3M (at 1.2m resolution). Tileproxy is still monitoring your path as you fly over previously made areas to see if scenery needs to be update. That's extra cpu load even if not making and updating scenery.nix on that Italy scenery although I got the enhanced OZx Liguria and Tuscany scenery when our MP group was flying through the region.Loyd