Sign in to follow this  
Guest JoeW

What is an offset approach?

I just want to clarify that I do mostly VFR and I'm not very skilled when it comes to IFR (but I'm learning!)I typically have no problems doing an IFR approach, I understand the ATC's instructions, but yesterday I was presented with a situation I hadn't experienced before.I was landing a United 737-300 in Denver and I was told to approach runway 35L for a landing in runway 7.I don't remember exactly what it said, I will try the flight again and post EXACTLY what the ATC posted.I have heard that these are called "offset approaches." You are told to approach a runway, but you are to land on ANOTHER runway (land on a runway perpendicular to the runway you were told to approach). How exactly does one handle this situation?Sorry if this is a dumb newbie question.Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.Regards

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I think the term you are looking for is "circling (circle) approaches". There was a lot of recent discussion on the subject on this forum so you could use search and find out quite a bit.The "offset" approach is something else. It happens mostly when localizer is not exactly lined up with the runway forcing pilot to perform a slight turn (when already in visual conditions) to align himself with runway.Michael J.http://www.reality-xp.com/community/nr/rsc/rxp-higher.jpg

Offset Approach.....Go to Juneau and do a ILS landing on runway 8. Thats an offset approach. There is a mountain in the way....EnjoyJoe W.