Sign in to follow this  
Mike Nowinski

Need steam effects for FS2004

I would like to add some steam effects to cooling towers in FS2004 scenery. Can someone tell me how to do this?I found some neat ones in some UK scenery, but the author does not respond to any emails.Thanks,Mike

I would like to add some steam effects to cooling towers in FS2004 scenery. Can someone tell me how to do this?I found some neat ones in some UK scenery, but the author does not respond to any emails.Thanks,Mike
This Tutorial might be helpful - it is for "smoke" but the procedure is the same - just experiment with different effects.http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fs2004sd&DLID=143770

Would the same tutorial help in adding smoke to a movable object.
Unfortunately not - the Tutorial is for adding smoke effects to static objects. I believe effects such as steam which are seen in moving ships etc - are usually added via statements such as this - which is in the aircraft.cfg file:[sMOKESYSTEM]smoke.0=0, -72.0, 0.0, fx_Smoke_asuka.fx,smoke.1=0, -265.0, 11.0, fx_spray1.fx,smoke.2=0, -265.0, -11.0, fx_spray1.fx,That was extracted from an AI Cruise ship aircraft,.cfg file.I have never added smoke or steam to a moving object so cannot advise further.

Unfortunately not - the Tutorial is for adding smoke effects to static objects. I believe effects such as steam which are seen in moving ships etc - are usually added via statements such as this - which is in the aircraft.cfg file:[sMOKESYSTEM]smoke.0=0, -72.0, 0.0, fx_Smoke_asuka.fx,smoke.1=0, -265.0, 11.0, fx_spray1.fx,smoke.2=0, -265.0, -11.0, fx_spray1.fx,That was extracted from an AI Cruise ship aircraft,.cfg file.I have never added smoke or steam to a moving object so cannot advise further.
thanks for that Opa will give it a go

Thanks David.Will this provide the big, puffy flows of steam effects or just the smaller and narrower "smoke" effects?
It would all depend upon which effect file was being called.The Special Effects SDK describes in great detail what the effect parameters are and how to manipulate them. A bit over my head t (too old to learn new tricks) but almost any kind of effect can be created using the information in that SDK.