Sign in to follow this  
cat

restore point winxp

Guest eskeemer

I realize this is not strictly fs9 business but it is connectedinsofar as I only use my computer for fs9.anyway here`s the problem ,when Ichoose to go back to a previously created restore point all I get is a message saying that I cannot go back to this restore point I`ve tried all the points I have allocated and the answers always the same.What am I doing wrong and how can I put it right. I`ve tried the helpsystem but no joy can someone help me please.thanks eric

Guest Bob Z

Eric I've had this happen with old restore points but have always had a more recent one available that would work. I think what happens is that "system restore" restores the registry as well as selected files and what happens is that some of the changes made to the PC since the selected backup point are inconsistent with the older registry.There is a procedure called "last known good configuration" that does NOT restore the registry. I have never had to use this but it is explained in the XP documentation. It is one of the boot options. I don't think it will help but it's worth a try.You will probably have to determine what was added since the last backup. You only have FS9 installed, so it must be that or a driver.

Guest Bob Z

Follow on to previous post.I remembered one occurance when restore gave me the same message you recieved. I changed my PC config from ACPI to Standard PC to try to solve an IRQ conflict. I did the backup immediately before I made the change. The change didn't help and when I tried the restore it gave me the response you got, so I manually set the PC back to ACPI.I don't think restore can handle changes of that magnitude.

Have you tried creating one yourself, make a slight cfg changeand then try to restore a day later?Does that work? I haven't had trouble restoring with XP HomeFS2004, plus a cart-load of other applications.Peter Sydney Australia