Sign in to follow this  
stretch1365

system runs out of memory

Hi everyone,Quite often towards the end of a flight my system freezes and the dreaded box pops up saying "your system has run out of available memory" so my question is, can i increase the amount of RAM contained in my system?I'm running FSX usually flying PMDG MD11, and my system is i3 dual core processor, 3GB RAM, Radeon 5770 graphics card. With Windows 7, 32bit. I know what your all going to say, upgrade to 64bit, but at the minute thats not an option, due to only having my present system 9 months, and then that was the top end of my spending limit. Now i rang my local computer store to ask about upgrading the RAM from 3 to 4 GB but they tell me Windows 7, 32bit will not recognize any more than 3GB of RAM. But i seem to remember seeing somewhere here, that Windows will in fact recognize 4GB RAM! Is this correct and i in fact could upgrade to 4GB or am i wasting my time and will just have to stick with 3GB. Any advice would be welcome.Thanks Dave Phillips.

Happy Flying,

Dave Phillips.

Hi everyone,Quite often towards the end of a flight my system freezes and the dreaded box pops up saying "your system has run out of available memory" so my question is, can i increase the amount of RAM contained in my system?I'm running FSX usually flying PMDG MD11, and my system is i3 dual core processor, 3GB RAM, Radeon 5770 graphics card. With Windows 7, 32bit. I know what your all going to say, upgrade to 64bit, but at the minute thats not an option, due to only having my present system 9 months, and then that was the top end of my spending limit. Now i rang my local computer store to ask about upgrading the RAM from 3 to 4 GB but they tell me Windows 7, 32bit will not recognize any more than 3GB of RAM. But i seem to remember seeing somewhere here, that Windows will in fact recognize 4GB RAM! Is this correct and i in fact could upgrade to 4GB or am i wasting my time and will just have to stick with 3GB. Any advice would be welcome.Thanks Dave Phillips.
Hi Dave you should do two things outside of the main thing you already confessed.1) Buy another gig of RAM, make sure it is an exact match to the three gigs you already have.2) Set a bcedit command as follows (you do not need the fourth gig of RAM for this to work:A) Open a command prompt with Administration rights. You find the command prompt box under "Programs-Accessories-Command prompt" B) Right Click the command prompt and select "run as administrator". C) Enter in the box at the prompt: (copy/paste if you wish) bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVA 2560 and press enter d). Reboot This will increase your virtual memory (not RAM)3) Also make sure your Page file is set to "System Managed" if you do not understand this then do not worry likely you did not change it and it does not apply.

Regards,
Gary Andersen

HAF932 Advanced, ASUS Z690-P D4, i5-12600k @4.9,NH-C14S, 2x8GB DDR4 3600, RM850x PSU,Sata DVD, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB storage, W10-Pro on Intel 750 AIC 800GB PCI-Express,MSI RTX3070 LHR 8GB, AW2720HF, VS238, Card Reader, SMT750 UPS.

Hi Gary,Thanks for replying so quickly, I will try this, i've been trying to increase the page file size, but it didn't seem to do much, with your instructions i'll have another go tomorrow. Ok so page file to "system managed" alter the bcdedit prompt and look at increasing the RAM to 4GB.Thanks very much for your help.Regards Dave Phillipsquote name='Gary A' timestamp='1300041964' post='1945137']Hi Dave you should do two things outside of the main thing you already confessed.1) Buy another gig of RAM, make sure it is an exact match to the three gigs you already have.2) Set a bcedit command as follows (you do not need the fourth gig of RAM for this to work:A) Open a command prompt with Administration rights. You find the command prompt box under "Programs-Accessories-Command prompt" :( Right Click the command prompt and select "run as administrator". C) Enter in the box at the prompt: (copy/paste if you wish) bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVA 2560 and press enter d). Reboot This will increase your virtual memory (not RAM)3) Also make sure your Page file is set to "System Managed" if you do not understand this then do not worry likely you did not change it and it does not apply.

Happy Flying,

Dave Phillips.

Hi everyone, Now i rang my local computer store to ask about upgrading the RAM from 3 to 4 GB but they tell me Windows 7, 32bit will not recognize any more than 3GB of RAM. But i seem to remember seeing somewhere here, that Windows will in fact recognize 4GB RAM! Is this correct and i in fact could upgrade to 4GB or am i wasting my time and will just have to stick with 3GB.
It amazes me how people that charge money for their services can be so ignorant on the very matter they profess expertise. They are probably the same Sots that sold you a system with 3-gigs to begin with.Your problem is of course you need to get on a 64-bit system when you can afford to do so. In the meantime a 32-bit operating system like W7 (or XP or any other) will utilize most of 4GB-RAM. You will vallidate this by going to "programs" and right clicking on "my computer" then "properties." See what it says you have for RAM now and then do it again after you put in the fourth gig of RAM. You will likely see at least 3.5GB RAM if not 4GB. Even if it only says 3.5GB it will be using the other 1/2GB for other things in the system even if it does not show it. Bottom line is a 32-bit program will benefit from 4GB RAM.

Regards,
Gary Andersen

HAF932 Advanced, ASUS Z690-P D4, i5-12600k @4.9,NH-C14S, 2x8GB DDR4 3600, RM850x PSU,Sata DVD, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB storage, W10-Pro on Intel 750 AIC 800GB PCI-Express,MSI RTX3070 LHR 8GB, AW2720HF, VS238, Card Reader, SMT750 UPS.