Sign in to follow this  
wmayo4444

Does this TP screen look right?

Finally transferred FSX from old computer to new one, and got TP running fine ... I think.I'm running a 6-core 1045T Athlon II plus Nvidia GTX460 board, getting 7.5 (of 7.9) on the Windows scale.I'm amazed at how it really doesn't keep up much better than my Quad (older HP) with 9600 GT board (5.5). Flight over 180kts starts to blur (on both).I have 25-30 Mbit download speeds (850K up). I have played alot with the Nvidia control panel settings.It's hard to tell if one has everything set up perfectly. Somehow I had to manually add the LOD8 folder, putting it "under" other TP folders (0000+), which tells me maybe in need to reinstall TP.Getting FS from old computer - planes, configs, other add on scenery, TP is a challenge. I do have the TP scenery folders at the top levels of order.Does this screen look right? The "per second" at the top right does often go up to (but not much more over) 1200.Thanks.

Finally transferred FSX from old computer to new one, and got TP running fine ... I think.I'm running a 6-core 1045T Athlon II plus Nvidia GTX460 board, getting 7.5 (of 7.9) on the Windows scale.I'm amazed at how it really doesn't keep up much better than my Quad (older HP) with 9600 GT board (5.5). Flight over 180kts starts to blur (on both).I have 25-30 Mbit download speeds (850K up). I have played alot with the Nvidia control panel settings.It's hard to tell if one has everything set up perfectly. Somehow I had to manually add the LOD8 folder, putting it "under" other TP folders (0000+), which tells me maybe in need to reinstall TP.Getting FS from old computer - planes, configs, other add on scenery, TP is a challenge. I do have the TP scenery folders at the top levels of order.Does this screen look right? The "per second" at the top right does often go up to (but not much more over) 1200.Thanks.
Relatively speaking, the display looks normal....howeverOval 1, the LOD8 ring doesn't look right; I don't use the prepared LOD8 scenery but I would have thought it should be full as it is ready-to-run scenery.Oval 9, the 60cm set appears to not have time to be made/prepared/displayed or something as it's not filled in either.Just my opinion, but I seriously doubt you can make, store, convert, and display 60cm scenery while moving at 180kts. Even with multiple cores, it is my understanding that core 0 still has to 'manage' the activities of additional cores and limits the advantage of those extra cores. If the scenery is already made then the internet connection speed is not relevant but there's still a massive amount of scenery data to move about though I think it does run a bit smoother when flying over area that are already complete.6 cores or not, FSX is still CPU bound. Are you 2.7GHz?How much RAM is available; how much assigned to TP?the default cache_bytes_limit=100000000 is much too low for what you are trying to run - suggest you raise it to 800-1000Mb; you are currently trying to make scenery that will be over 5Gb per LOD8 block (the 60cm stuff).There's no way I could run anything like that - my standard is 2.4m - so I can't tell you what is really more than your system can handle but I can recommend that you back the detail level down until the performance is where you need it to be. Each level increase requires 4 times the amount of data to process and transfer so I expect there to be a noticeable decrease in performance when you exceed the capabilities of your system. I don't mind an occasional pause to let scenery catch up but if I have to pause every 30 seconds, I know I'm beyond where I should be.Just got a GTX 460 myself yesterday when my graphics fan suddenly stopped. It idles at 36° and I don't think I've seen it hit 60° on my sim yet. I think I love it.Loyd

Thank you so much Loyd.Hmmm, looking at .ini I noticed I had 60cm, when I thought I had 1.1m in the past (on old computer). I can change that easily.I think CPU is running at 2.8 and can burst to 3.3 as already designed.I agree, the LOD8 ring doesn't look right. I think it should either be null or full. Perhaps someone else can chime in here. Reran FS on old computer and it was null (perhaps it is reflecting net grab sectors, not scenery from anywhere sectors).How much RAM is available; how much assigned to TP? Is that configured in .ini file? I have 8G total RAM.I may still need to reinstall. Do I do anything first, or just let it install over itself?I think you'll like the GTX460. It seemed to have a good price point for performance. I'm still tweaking the settings (anisotropic, anti-aliasing levels, etc.)

I agree, the LOD8 ring doesn't look right. I think it should either be null or full. Perhaps someone else can chime in here. Reran FS on old computer and it was null (perhaps it is reflecting net grab sectors, not scenery from anywhere sectors).I may still need to reinstall. Do I do anything first, or just let it install over itself?
Oval 1 perhaps empty if PRE-LOAD starts at 9?If reinstall contemplated, then UNINSTALL probably should be done first HOWEVER...I see no reason to dump downloaded imagery - but it will be deleted I think IF you have it referenced in a .ini file.The one time I did something like this I REMOVED all proxyuser.ini versions out of the install folder and/or renamed those cache folders so they would not be referenced by any uninstall activity. To the best of my recollection, they were left undisturbed; I did have to remake the actual scenery in the world folder.Areas that were previously made to 60 cm....scenery 'tiles' are enhanced to higher resolutions only. The only way to reduce them in resolution is to remake them with lower settings. You could try deleting .bmps that are greater than 2M in size, then refly the area; you don't have to delete everything - the missing tiles would be replaced at the lower setting. 1.2m tiles (LEVEL 17) are about 1.4M in size; 2.4m tiles (LEVEL 16) are about 340K.Loyd