Sign in to follow this  
Guest ptwaugh

Utility programs... ideas for programmers looking for s...

Do either of these programs/editors exist for MSFS (2004 in particular)...Firstly, a controller configurer that allows multiple key/controller configurations to be saved and loaded whilst in MSFS. E.g. I have both stick and yoke setups and would like to program each differently depending on which particular aircraft I intend to fly. The ability to load/save key/controller configurations would be very handy.Secondly, as we know, there are many hidden settings within the various config files that can affect performance in various ways. Are there any dialog based editors that give a simple point/click interface to allow changes to these files...?I know there are many talented programmers out there - perhaps if you are thinking of a little project to get your teeth into...?Feel free to add ideas to the list, "simple" utility programs and add-ins that add usability to this sim we use!

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Magic,Here are some suggestions.>Do either of these programs/editors exist for MSFS (2004 in>particular)...>>Firstly, a controller configurer that allows multiple>key/controller configurations to be saved and loaded whilst in>MSFS. E.g. I have both stick and yoke setups and would like to>program each differently depending on which particular>aircraft I intend to fly. The ability to load/save>key/controller configurations would be very handy.>I do this by making bat files which call different FS9.cfg files.o One is called FlyGAProp.bat and uses a configuration file that sets the three levers on my CH USB Yoke for throttle, prop, and mixture. It has the display option settings for Scenery Complexity and Autogen Density both set to "Normal." The default flight is a GA prop plane(Maule, at present).Here is the total content of FlyGAProp.batFS9.exe /CFG:fs9prop1.cfgNotepad.exe Reminder.txt(I disable virus protection when I start FS and "Reminder.txt" is a file which reminds me to enable it again.)o Another file is called FlyTwinJet.bat. Its config file sets two of the Yoke's levers as throttles with the third reserved for the spoiler, although I can't make that work in FS2K4. Scenery complexity is set to "Very Dense" and Autogen is set to "None." The default flight uses the Learjet.Here is the total content of FlyTwinJetFS9.exe /CFG:fs9Jet2.cfgNotepad.exe Reminder.txto A special file was created for the B737 (my current airliner of choice). It starts by changing directory to the B737_400 folder, opening the "Aircraft.cfg" file, thus reminding me the insert the correct flight number, then returning to the FS9 folder (cd ....). The fs9B737.cfg file is much like fs9Jet2.cfg.Here is the total content of FlyB737.batcd aircraftb737_400edit aircraft.cfgcd ....FS9.exe /CFG:fs9B737.cfgNotepad.exe Reminder.txtPut the various config files and the batch (*.bat) files into you FS9 main folder. Use Notepad to create the bat files, then put shortcut icons on your desktop. Use Notepad to create a "Reminder.txt" if you want it, also in the FS9 main folder.>Secondly, as we know, there are many hidden settings within>the various config files that can affect performance in>various ways. Are there any dialog based editors that give a>simple point/click interface to allow changes to these>files...?>Have you tried Ken Salter's FS Comfigurator program? It can be downloaded from the AVSIM library. I believe the latest version is fs9configurator_124047.zip but do a search incase I've missed an update. I hope these ideas help you. R-

Actually, we were considering creating such a payware utility with a nice GUI, to make it easy to set the .cfg, and save several configurations to be launched. This product would then tie into our other software.PatrickBenchmark Software