Sign in to follow this  
farid

What is different between DH and MDA and DA?!

if anybody explain that things for me i ll appreciatedthank you in advance

if anybody explain that things for me i ll appreciatedthank you in advance
MDA (minimum descent altitude) relates to non-precision approaches, where you can descend to that altitude, well before the missed-approach point, and continue flying... "looking" for the runway. The published approach will illustrate the points you must remain "above".DH (decision height)(which I believe is the same as DA), is for precision (glideslope) approaches where your descent profile is precise enough that DH occurs at the same point as the "missed approach point".

MDA (minimum descent altitude) relates to non-precision approaches, where you can descend to that altitude, well before the missed-approach point, and continue flying... "looking" for the runway. The published approach will illustrate the points you must remain "above".DH (decision height)(which I believe is the same as DA), is for precision (glideslope) approaches where your descent profile is precise enough that DH occurs at the same point as the "missed approach point".
Greate thnk you Brettand why i saw at many Real videos,even for ILS approach pilot choose MDA again ,while they must pick DH i think?!do you know about that?actually i didnt see any where pilots select DA,and i dont know why!

Decision Height (DH) or Decision Altitude (DA) is a specified height or altitude in the precision approach at which a missed approach must be initiated if the required visual reference to continue the approach has not been established The Minimum Descent Altitude (MDA) or Minimum Descent Height (MDH) is a specified altitude or height in a Non-Precision Approach below which descent must not be made without the required visual reference.ICAO Annex 6

Remember 'height' is the vertical distance between a point and the ground (AGL) while 'altitude' is the vertical distance between a point and the mean sea level regardless of terrain. (AMSL)ILS always uses DH (If you have a radio altimeter) or DA as it's a precision approach, so is the microwaveMLS and RNP GPS approaches.Localizer only (LLZ/LOC) approaches (e.g. glideslope malfunction) uses MDA as it is non precision (no vertical guidance), and so is VOR/NDB/Non-RNP GPS RNAV approaches.Not sure about PAR/GCA (ATC Talkdown) approaches though.In DH/DA once you hit it and can't see the runway, you go around. with MDA/MDH once you hit it you're supposed to stay at that height/altitude until you see the runway or hit the missed approach point at a specific distance from a beacon or some GPS waypoint. e.g. 1.5 DME XYZ VOR.