Sign in to follow this  
Guest Philip Olson

Mishap at KLGA!!!!!!!

Guest crabster

FS9Olys Dash 8Ultimate TrafficRadar ContactwxREWell, scratch 1 Dash 8 with 35 souls/3 crew and 1 Saab 340 unkown souls and assume 3 crew.What happened was I did a shuttle run from kphl to klga in Olys wonderful dash 8. Preflight went smooth, there was no delay, the pax seemed happy. We got off the ground 8 minutes ahead of scheduled.Enroute received numerous warnings of traffic close. But nothing too much to worry about. There was some mild turbulence enroute. Got into the New York area and noticed ALOT of traffic (going to and from kewr,klga,kjfk) controllers are pleasant, and doing a great job setting us up for arrival.While turning I notice an MD80 and Saab 340 heading for klga. I fall in behind the MD80 and lose sight of the Saab who was a ways back. I'm told to contact the tower and get get my landing clearance. I'm going through the checklists, flaps gear. All ok. I'm thinking "Life is great, this is the smoothest approach I've flown yet, the FS world looks great" The MD clears the runway, and as I cross over the fence I think I hear tower scolding someone, but it was not me so I didn't think much about it. (sure would like to get a transcript)I touchdown like a feather hitting the floor. "This is great!, I say to myself, that will make the pax happy after a bumpy flight". I pull back to idle, engage reverse and BAM!! the Saab hits me from behind. We never knew what hit us. Never had a chance. The carnage was horrible. Rescue crews got there quickly. NTSB, FAA and everyone else are on scene but it did no good. *sigh*So, how was your day?

Guest outtatimeiii

I also had a mishap recently, although I did land and stop in one piece :). I just downloaded some Japan mesh and decided to jump in my YS-11 and check it out (which also the first time flying in that country). Set up a flightplan, decided to go from Osaka to Tokyo via VOR. Everything was fine till shortly into cruise at 20,000ft, when my right engine failed. I know I was well within limits (I had throttles back quite a bit) so I really can't say why it failed. As soon as I had the situation under control, I began searching for an airport to land for repairs. Closest airport was Nagoya, well within reach. No sooner as I started turning, my left engine dies out. Now i'm getting really concerned, I have no power LOL. I have never done a power-off landing without it being "set-up" by me or a friend. I decided that gliding down at around 130kts will give me more than enough distance to get me to Nagoya. After hand flying the plane downwards for about 5 minutes, it was time to land. I came in pretty high, so I could have enough airspeed to land the plane. I really would rather to land on the runway instead of middle of town :-lol. Airspeed was a bit fast on the landing, but I landed way better than I expected. After getting my virtual plane repaired, I finished the flight and took off from Nagoya and landed in Tokyo without any problems.I still cannot figure out why my engines died during that flight. I have logged many many hours in this aircraft, never had this happen before. I did like it though, took a boring flight and added a twist like no other to it :-lol.

Guest Philip Olson

A while back I was piloting a 737 from JFK to Cleveland, I was about 4 miles out on final with minimal visibility, when all of a sudden a cabin attendant (wife) bursts into the cockpit, since I was fairly well set up in the approach I figured the auto pilot could take me in while talking to my wife as she only had a quick question. As soon as I turned back to the screen I see the nav lights of a cessna....too late I hit the pause button to try and slew away, it was such a perfect flight up till then and I did not want to ruin it with a crash. I went to spot view and it was terrible, the nose section of my 737 was about 50 feet below the rest of the craft falling to Earth, the tail section was also lost and there was a whole lot of black smoke pouring from the plane. I wondered if the cockpit view would reflect what was actually going on so I changes views and unpaused the sim, of course the view from the cockpit was not changed but I was shocked that I still had control of the plane, well somewhat, there were problems with some of the control surfaces responding as they should and the engines were not the greatest and I showed no hydraulic pressure but I tried to fly it anyway. I flew a missed approach and ATC vectored me for another try, it was very difficult to keep the plane under control, what I wouldn't give to be able to call an emergency and be allowed to land immediately. I did manage (barely) to get the craft down but I kept going to spot view in disbelief at the damage and the fact that I could still fly this thing. I think that by hitting the slew key just when I did something happened that saved me from the crash I should have had. I think the one thing that upset me the most about that whole thing was that the darn Cessna suffered no ill effects, he was supposed to have been cleared to land after me so I think he should have at least suffered a little damage too. It is rather upsetting when an AI craft can ruin a perfectly good flight and they suffer no ill effets from the crash. Well at least I got my passengers home, don't know how but I did.Philip

Guest crabster

I've had that flight attendant experience happen all too often. I've also had unruly passengers (my kids) barge into the cockpit, I haven't found a door strong enough to stop 'em.As far as declaring an emergency, you can with Radar Contact, I haven't had to do it..yet, but, the option is there to declare it.

Guest outtatimeiii

I believe they were near 650-700C when they died, well under redline. Everything else seemed to check out as well, but the engines still died LOL. That occasion was the only time they failed when I didn't abuse the engines :-lol.

Guest crabster

As Bugs Bunny once quoted "Could that have been a.....gremlin?" :)Or maybe Mr Murphy was a passenger with you, got bored and decided to add some spice to the flight :)

Guest Philip Olson

I have a life, I am a pilot here on my computer, it just sucks when reality rears it's ugly head! :-lol Thanks for bursting my bubble Barry! :-) Philip