Sign in to follow this  
maneks

Alienware for FSX - Good Enough?

Hi guys, I'm planning on buying an Alienware Aurora R3 this summer for FSX. Are these specs good enough to get a decent frame rate with addons including REX, airports like Imaginesim WSSS and WoAI?PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ i7-2600K (8MB Cache) Overclocked Turbo Boost to 4.1GHzOPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit, EnglishCHASSIS COLOR Matte Stealth Black Chassis with 525W Multi-GPU Approved Power SupplyMEMORY 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1333MHzVIDEO CARD Dual 1GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 460 - SLI EnabledHARD DRIVE 1TB SATA 3Gb/s (7,200RPM) 32MB CacheI'm sure with some tweaking here and there, a target fps of 25 is achievable in places like NYC? Thanks for any help.PS: I'm no tech whiz which is why I'm buying an alienware - I know they are over priced but I have no clue how to build a rig myself and I think this is the best way to avoid compatibility problems, etc.

Guest firehawk44
Hi guys, I'm planning on buying an Alienware Aurora R3 this summer for FSX. Are these specs good enough to get a decent frame rate with addons including REX, airports like Imaginesim WSSS and WoAI?PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ i7-2600K (8MB Cache) Overclocked Turbo Boost to 4.1GHzOPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit, EnglishCHASSIS COLOR Matte Stealth Black Chassis with 525W Multi-GPU Approved Power SupplyMEMORY 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1333MHzVIDEO CARD Dual 1GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 460 - SLI EnabledHARD DRIVE 1TB SATA 3Gb/s (7,200RPM) 32MB CacheI'm sure with some tweaking here and there, a target fps of 25 is achievable in places like NYC? Thanks for any help.PS: I'm no tech whiz which is why I'm buying an alienware - I know they are over priced but I have no clue how to build a rig myself and I think this is the best way to avoid compatibility problems, etc.
It is powerful enough to run FSX and the addons you mentioned w/o problems. You still should not move your sliders to the max as that will create bottlenecks and crashes. It can be overclocked much more than 4.1GHz though. Can you request a higher overclock from Dell? The last Dell system I had (still have) was able to overclock through the BIOS by simply changing one performance setting. That's how I was able to overclock my old system from 2.93GHz to 3.73GHz.Best regards,Jim

Rather than buying dual GTX 460's to run SLI which provides no immediate benefit to FSX, you should get a single 570 at the same cost which will benefit FSX frame rates.

I would seriously consider building yourself. With the Youtube guides available, it's really not too challenging, and you don't have to pay the insane premium that comes along with buying from a big manufacturer. You also get to have complete control over what parts go into your system, and don't have to worry about all the bloatware that comes on the computer.